FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Leaders as Distinct From Managers  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

MODNOTE: This post and several that follow have been split from the Happy Corner thread in the Coffee Shop subforum: post29033.html#p29033
----

iNow wrote:
Great sentiment, Zin, but just to be clear my post was wholly independent from falconers and totally unrelated. My post was about a great leadership training program I got accepted into at work, beating out about 83,500 others.

Does this training have anything to do with being psychic? I could use some. ;)

A Nigerian prince once selected my bank account to deposit his fortune in. ;) Not that I'm saying there's a caveat associated with being selected from thousands of others. Congrats are in order and I hope all goes well for you.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am

Management training: http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms ... training&= :lol:

I have successfully avoided most management training in my career - I've seen what it does to people, they start to sound like this guy

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0117015/quotes

This clip is particularly relevant in todays "alternative facts" day and age https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8hjrX3kctY :lol:

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Lol!

Is it odd that I've already been so indoctrinated that I feel the need to correct you and share that it was "leadership" training, not "management" training?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Lol!

Is it odd that I've already been so indoctrinated that I feel the need to correct you and share that it was "leadership" training, not "management" training?

Heh heh! My Apple dictionary Thesaurus disagrees with you. Does management know this? ;)

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

To manage is to assign tasks and ensure work objectives are met, to deal with payroll and scheduling and to cover shifts, etc. To lead, however, is to get the most out of your people, to help them express their best selves, and to contribute in such a way that the whole of the team becomes greater than the sum of the parts.

This could be an interesting topic to explore if folks would like me to split it off (into Business & Economics, I suppose)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Heh heh! My Apple dictionary Thesaurus disagrees with you. Does management know this? ;)

you sometimes have to wonder

at Tata Steel there was an employee survey done and one of the outcomes of that was the feedback that there was a lack of leadership - the response ? all middle and senior managers were sent on management curses

clearly someone high up either doesn't know the difference or pretends not to know

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Was this
Quote:
sent on management curses

intentional? :lol:

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Was this
Quote:

I hope not, it has a Freudian Slip quality about it. :D

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 pm

A Freudian slip... Where you say one thing but mean your mother...

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:50 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Was this
Quote:

I've trained my iPad to add the occasional Freudian slit

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Quote:
I've trained my iPad to add the occasional Freudian slit

It's done it again! :lol:

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm confused and wondering......

Does a good manager manage to convince people that leadership is not management
Is a leader someone who is convinced by management that s/he is not managing?

Maybe I can ask Dilbert. :D

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 pm

it's very simple : a leader has followers, a manager has subordinates

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'd offer a slight correction: Leaders create more leaders, not followers. Managers have people reporting to them regardless of their leadership abilities.

Leaders can be anybody and don't necessarily have to hold a position of authority or power.