FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 am


Author Message
Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Leaders as Distinct From Managers  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 am
Posts: 379

Offline
MODNOTE: This post and several that follow have been split from the Happy Corner thread in the Coffee Shop subforum: post29033.html#p29033
----


iNow wrote:
Great sentiment, Zin, but just to be clear my post was wholly independent from falconers and totally unrelated. My post was about a great leadership training program I got accepted into at work, beating out about 83,500 others.


Does this training have anything to do with being psychic? I could use some. ;)

A Nigerian prince once selected my bank account to deposit his fortune in. ;) Not that I'm saying there's a caveat associated with being selected from thousands of others. Congrats are in order and I hope all goes well for you.

_________________
"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 499
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
Management training: http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms ... training&= :lol:

I have successfully avoided most management training in my career - I've seen what it does to people, they start to sound like this guy

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0117015/quotes

This clip is particularly relevant in todays "alternative facts" day and age https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8hjrX3kctY :lol:

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5700
Location: Iowa

Offline
Lol!

Is it odd that I've already been so indoctrinated that I feel the need to correct you and share that it was "leadership" training, not "management" training?

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 am
Posts: 379

Offline
iNow wrote:
Lol!

Is it odd that I've already been so indoctrinated that I feel the need to correct you and share that it was "leadership" training, not "management" training?


Heh heh! My Apple dictionary Thesaurus disagrees with you. Does management know this? ;)

_________________
"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:09 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5700
Location: Iowa

Offline
To manage is to assign tasks and ensure work objectives are met, to deal with payroll and scheduling and to cover shifts, etc. To lead, however, is to get the most out of your people, to help them express their best selves, and to contribute in such a way that the whole of the team becomes greater than the sum of the parts.

This could be an interesting topic to explore if folks would like me to split it off (into Business & Economics, I suppose)

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4848
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
Zinjanthropos wrote:
Heh heh! My Apple dictionary Thesaurus disagrees with you. Does management know this? ;)


you sometimes have to wonder

at Tata Steel there was an employee survey done and one of the outcomes of that was the feedback that there was a lack of leadership - the response ? all middle and senior managers were sent on management curses

clearly someone high up either doesn't know the difference or pretends not to know

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 499
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
Was this
Quote:
sent on management curses


intentional? :lol:

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 am
Posts: 379

Offline
PhDemon wrote:
Was this
Quote:
sent on management curses


intentional? :lol:


I hope not, it has a Freudian Slip quality about it. :D

_________________
"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 499
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
A Freudian slip... Where you say one thing but mean your mother...

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:50 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4848
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
PhDemon wrote:
Was this
Quote:
sent on management curses


intentional? :lol:


I've trained my iPad to add the occasional Freudian slit

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 499
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
Quote:
I've trained my iPad to add the occasional Freudian slit


It's done it again! :lol:

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 am
Posts: 379

Offline
I'm confused and wondering......

Does a good manager manage to convince people that leadership is not management
Is a leader someone who is convinced by management that s/he is not managing?

Maybe I can ask Dilbert. :D

_________________
"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4848
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
it's very simple : a leader has followers, a manager has subordinates

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5700
Location: Iowa

Offline
I'd offer a slight correction: Leaders create more leaders, not followers. Managers have people reporting to them regardless of their leadership abilities.

Leaders can be anybody and don't necessarily have to hold a position of authority or power.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   
cron

Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy