FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 am

Sciencers
Post  Post subject: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello all! I'm fairly new; please excuse any mistakes on my behalf!

We did a Respiration Lab in AP Bio today. We are now supposed to do some calculations, but our teacher didn't exactly mention what to do. He said that it's going to be an own kind of unit.
My data says that my maximum amount of O2 amount consumed is: 0,36 and the minimum is 0,14.
What I did:
0,36-0,14/ 8minutes = 0,025 ? What is the 0,025? grams? ounces?
Moreover I need to divide the 0,025 by something else too? My calculation isn't complete by getting 0,025? I still have to do something. The weight of the seeds was 3g. Do I divide 0,025 by 3 or what do I do? Please help me out!!! :)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:53 pm

It's not really clear from the information you have given what you have done...
What did you measure in the experiment? Volumes? Masses?

What do you mean by maximum and minimum? Did you do a series of experiments each with a different oxygen consumption?

Where does the 8 minutes come from.

What are you finally trying to work out?

Without the extra information we can't help - we aren't mind readers ;)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Sciencers
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Hello,

thank you for your reply! Sorry, I totally forgot to measure that.. silly me! ;)

It was a respiration lab. We had a respirometer attached to a glass vial. We added KOH and soaked seeds to the glass vial and sealed it with the respirometer. At the end of the respirometer, we added food coloring. It moved towards the seeds.
My data was:
Time (soaked seeds in sec) Oxygen consumption in ml
30s 0,14ml
60s 0,16ml
480s(8minutes) 0,36ml

We totally measured for 8 minutes.

Now what I did was:
maximum value ml – minimum value (oxygen consumption) / total amount of measured in minutes = 0,0275 ml O2/minute

Now what do I have to do? Can you please help me out? Let me know if there's anything unclear!! :)

PhDemon wrote:
It's not really clear from the information you have given what you have done...
What did you measure in the experiment? Volumes? Masses?

What do you mean by maximum and minimum? Did you do a series of experiments each with a different oxygen consumption?

Where does the 8 minutes come from.

What are you finally trying to work out?

Without the extra information we can't help - we aren't mind readers ;)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 pm

OK so far you have calculated the rate of O2 consumption (in ml/min) what does the question ask you to calculate?

Sciencers
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:23 pm

PhDemon wrote:
OK so far you have calculated the rate of O2 consumption (in ml/min) what does the question ask you to calculate?

That's the problem.. it doesn't say anything. It just says calculations. What would one normally calculate? Should I divide the 0,025 by 3g? The 3g refers to the soaked seeds that we used?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Without knowing what it is you need to calculate I don't think I can help you... Could you get in touch with someone from your class to see if they know (or were paying attention! :lol:)

Sciencers
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Without knowing what it is you need to calculate I don't think I can help you... Could you get in touch with someone from your class to see if they know (or were paying attention! :lol:)

Apparently, I need to find out this:
you need to find the amount of gas per gram per second by calculations
How would I do that?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Respiration Lab Calculations?  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Ok, you have the answer in ml/min. To get this in ml per gram per second you need to divide it by the 3 g and divide that answer by 60 (60 seconds in a minute).