FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Hungry? Pass the Plastic  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

How many times do we see it happen? Nature providing solutions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/caterpillar-eat-plastic-1.4084672

Aren't there microbes that do the same thing?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Hungry? Pass the Plastic  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

It seems that the caterpillars are more efficient than microbes when breaking down certain types of plastic. The link that you provided contains a secondary link on the seventh line down called " Current Biology ",this link appears to explain your question in my opinion.
http://www.cell.com/current-biology/ful ... 60-9822(17)30231-2

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Hungry? Pass the Plastic  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 pm

The link that I cut and pasted from the OP in my last post does not work. The link " Current Biology " does work from the OP.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Hungry? Pass the Plastic  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 pm

use the following :

Polyethylene bio-degradation by caterpillars of the wax moth Galleria mellonella

the original link appeared to have trouble with the hyphen in the url