FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:01 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Birds and camera focusing device  |  Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:36 pm

i recently upgraded to a more powerful camera, although still of the point-and-shoot variety - in case the type is important, it's a Canon Powershot SX720 HS

earlier version of this type of camera displayed a green light when you half-press the button to bring the image in focus, which could not fail to attract the attention of birds when pointed at them

the new camera, however, does not show any visible light that i can perceive, but when pointed at a seagull in the neighbourhood it appeared far more disturbed by it than by the visible green light of earlier cameras

any idea what sort of invisible light could be used, and whether this might still be in the range that can be detected by birds ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Birds and camera focusing device  |  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Admittedly I know very little about birds, or cameras (I use the camera on my phone after all) but could it be some sort of high pitched sound being generated that is gathering their attention? Something inaudible to human ears?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Birds and camera focusing device  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 am

the first time I noticed was when I took a picture from behind glass, so rather unlikely it's some sort of sound

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Birds and camera focusing device  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well that blows my idea. :lol: Wish I could help you on this one.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Birds and camera focusing device  |  Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

my theory is that the auto-focus device (that is, before you even press the button) must emit some sort of light
if it's not visible light then could it be UV ?

although I must admit I would be surprised if UV was being used

on the other hand, would ultrasound be able to get through window glass ? what is being used when you open your car with a key fob ? because that seems to work from behind a door or window

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Birds and camera focusing device  |  Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I too would be surprised if UV was being used, but like I said before I'm not very knowledgeable about digital cameras.
I believe that car key fobs use radio waves.