FAQ
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 11:49 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Anyone have any idea what we can expect tomorrow?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/nasa-ocean-worlds-solar-system-1.4067177

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm honestly not sure what to expect really. I imagine that on other sites across the internet there are people rumoring that maybe they found evidence of life on one of the icy moons, but that's incredibly unlikely at this stage. In any case I'm always interested in their discoveries and announcements.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Maybe this is the news? FOOD

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/saturn-enceladus-ocean-life-1.4068573

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 am

Zinjanthropos wrote:

Is the life on Earth that thrives in similar conditions (to those in Enceladus) related to the life that thrives elsewhere on Earth ? I am assuming it is an integral branch of the life that came into being some time after the Earth formed.

I wonder would it be conceivable for that form of life to exist on the Earth other than in conjunction with the life we observe in the more hospitable regions of this planet (Earth).

Would it be exponentially harder to find life on Enceladus solely in those inhospitable regions or did life here on Earth actually have its beginnings in unbelievably inhospitable conditions and then gradually adapt to the gentler conditions we are now familiar with?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 am

yes - all life on earth has the same genetic underpinning, and are clearly descended from a single ancestor
the idea is that there may have multiple initial transitions from organic chemistry to life, but the one that ultimately found a successful solution then used the rest of the organic chemicals as food

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Would an ocean world have a solid core, it's not just a big frozen droplet is it? In an ocean world encased in ice, how would waste be dealt with?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Ocean Worlds  |  Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 pm

I think scientists consider it necessary for an ocean world to have a silicate (rather than an icy) core in order to facilitate the recycling of nutrients - a bit like the rain of organic remains in our oceans, where burrowers then sift out the nutrients from the sediment which can then re-enter the food chain

for reasons I can't fathom the idea appears to be that life forming from organic chemistry requires a suitable substrate, possibly akin to the clay hypothesis posited by Graham Cairns-Smith