FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:45 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Martian Spuds  |  Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Matt Damon grew potatoes on Mars in the movies but what really would happen under simulated conditions on Earth? Well somebody tried. 65 varieties with 4 successes may not be a great ratio but a Super Potato has apparently emerged from the experiment.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/world/2017/03/30/in-lab-simulating-harsh-mars-climate-a-nascent-potato-grows.html

I'm no expert but perhaps that tells us something about panspermia theory or even evolution. I mean life would seem to have a better chance of surviving a planet busting, journey through space event thanks to mutation.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Martian Spuds  |  Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Interesting post, this is what real Martians think about spuds ( potatoes )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Martian Spuds  |  Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I am skeptical but willing to listen and above all I appreciate the efforts of scientists around the globe. Whether the exact conditions on Mars can be replicated in a experiment is high on my reservations list. Some day this kind of stuff may be of historical significance to space agriculture.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss