FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 am

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am

How signals are traveling to the brain from sensory organs. For example when light hits the eyes the excitation of the cones etc , if i'm not mistaken, starts the process of signal transmission through fibers that reach the brain. Do the signals travel by spatially continues chain chemical reactions, or molecules and/or ions travel ? is it known ?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:49 pm

i'm pretty sure that we have a good understanding of how signals travle through neuronos and from one neuron to the next - summary in this article :

How exactly do neurons pass signals through your nervous system?

the bits relevant to yur question are (1) for travel of the signal inside the neuron :

Quote:
But when certain neurotransmitters have entered the receptor sites, it changes the makeup of the axon's cell membrane: In the section of the axon closest to the soma, the cell membrane becomes more permeable. This allows positive sodium ions to enter the cell and give the inside of that section of axon a positive charge relative to the outside. Although the sodium pumps work to move these positive charges out of the neuron and restore the resting state, the influx has already triggered the same behavior in the neighboring section of the cell. Gradually, this positive charge on the inside of the cell moves down the length of the axon to the axon terminals.

and (2) transmission from one neuron to the next :

Quote:
But if the synapses are empty space, with no direct connection between one neuron's axon terminals and another's dendrites, then how does the message travel? The cells must send chemical signals across the gap. Within each axon terminal are sacs, known as vesicles, filled with one of 50 different chemicals called neurotransmitters. Each neurotransmitter sends a different type of message to the next neuron, which recognizes the neurotransmitters with specialized receptors on the surface of the dendrites.

hope this helps

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:24 pm

From these two:
"the bits relevant to yur question are (1) for travel of the signal inside the neuron" & "and (2) transmission from one neuron to the next"

it seems that we're talking for when they reach the brain, but to "sense" what came in touch with my foot signals travel a long way. I think cells in the nervous system outside the brain are not called neurons, anyway. From the eyes there is a shorter pathway off course but non the less, at first the transfer of the signals is ? not neuronal. That's why I thought that there are not synapsis,dendites or axons involved to convey messages. Thangs for the answer anyway.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 pm

if i read the description of the neuron in wikipedia properly, then a neuron is any cell that transmits signals that ultimately end up in the brain

it is not restricted to brain cells

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 pm

You read it very properly. Thank you.

I think the expression missed the woods, looking only on trees applies for me in this case. For years I have fun reading about the functions of the brain's neuronal circuits as connected to behaviors, and having not expanded to the central nervous system as a hole I connected the word neuron with brain only. So the: I think cells in the nervous system outside the brain are not called neurons, anyway. was bad,but most importantly returning to the main question, I got my answer, the process of signal transmission through fibers (that must reach the brain) is a spatial continuous electrochemical process (I think this expression is proper) taking place again with neurons and their axons, dendrites and synapses as contact points where ions of Na+, K+ ,Ca+ are exchanged.

As also it was said before:
Quote:
But if the synapses are empty space, with no direct connection between one neuron's axon terminals and another's dendrites, then how does the message travel? The cells must send chemical signals across the gap. Within each axon terminal are sacs, known as vesicles, filled with one of 50 different chemicals called neurotransmitters. Each neurotransmitter sends a different type of message to the next neuron, which recognizes the neurotransmitters with specialized receptors on the surface of the dendrites.

PS Just for other people who either didn't know or may not want to devote the time to get more acquainted with the subject, I'm adding these that one can find after a little search on the magical internet.

"Sensory neurons: These run from the various types of stimulus receptors, e.g., touch, odor, taste, sound, vision to the central nervous system (CNS), the brain and spinal cord."

"All neurons outside the central nervous system (and many within it) conduct impulses along hairlike cytoplasmic extensions, the nerve fibers or axons. .....The axons connecting your spinal cord to your foot can be as much as 1 m long (although only a few micrometers in diameter)."

"Parts & Functions of the Central Nervous System. Neurons are the basic units that make up the nervous system. ... Motor neurons transmit information between organs, glands and muscles. Sensory neurons send information to the brain and spinal cord from internal organs or external stimuli encountered by the parts of the body ...."

"There are many billions of nerve cells, also called neurons, in the nervous system. The brain alone has about 100 billion neurons"

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Another useful term to explore and lookup: "Action Potentials"

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 pm

As neurons send signals through their axons and receive signals through their dendrites, its inner matter, which include genes must play a very important role in the exchange of ions at the synapses, for their strength and their very existence. The connections of neurons for the creation of circuits dictate behavior. Some say nature others nurture. ????

Huge subject in a few words. WHAT IS THE MATTER.

moonhill
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 pm

fay's unKle wrote:
From these two:
"the bits relevant to yur question are (1) for travel of the signal inside the neuron" & "and (2) transmission from one neuron to the next"

it seems that we're talking for when they reach the brain, but to "sense" what came in touch with my foot signals travel a long way. I think cells in the nervous system outside the brain are not called neurons, anyway. From the eyes there is a shorter pathway off course but non the less, at first the transfer of the signals is ? not neuronal. That's why I thought that there are not synapsis,dendites or axons involved to convey messages. Thangs for the answer anyway.

Than why do people in world that have nerve damage or body attacking the nerves cannot feel hot, cold, warm or touch. Why do those basic things start to go when people have nerve damage or body attacking the nerves.

If you believe the body is not made of of neurons out side the brain this is contradictory to medicine.

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Re: How signals are traveling to the brain.  |  Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I am sorry moonhill but you are on March 11th. This is a trial to expand, a lot, on marnixR's post/answer.

We went on to April 27th.