FAQ
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:33 pm

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Specific electrons ? at specific region around the atom ?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

I have a thing going on with the whereabouts of electrons in atoms, so when I read something surprising like this, I chase it hoping to get a little more insight into the subject. "Both single electrons now become paired and share the overlapping energy levels i.e. they can now also move in the energy level of the electron from the other atom so they can now move around each nuclei. However, most of the time they are found in the region between both nuclei as they are attracted by both nuclei."

They are talking for almost specific (?) electrons being at specific region around the atom. Where such finding are coming from. Are these theoretical or experimental findings. Pump-probe spectroscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy and crystallography, is all I only know to find electron energies and densities, but not positions as accurate to say that specific electrons "are found in the region between both nuclei"

Through which methods and what measurements they find that electrons are moving around each nuclei.

Would you know what to read to appreciate in its full extent the experimental procedures that lead to such findings/conclusions.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Specific electrons ? at specific region around the atom  |  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm

It's an approximation and analogy. Really you can only talk about probabilities of where the electrons are (although it is more probable that they will in some locations than in others). You may want to look into molecular orbital theory for the details behind this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecul ... tal_theory