FAQ
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Expansion Due to Dimension Uncurling?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Was looking at this the other day....https://phys.org/news/2011-04-primordial-weirdness-early-universe-dimension.html.

Excerpt 1: The core idea is that the dimensionality of space depends on the size of the space we're observing, with smaller spaces associated with fewer dimensions. That means that a fourth dimension will open up -- if it hasn't already -- as the universe continues to expand.

Excerpt 2: The mystery of the universe's accelerating expansion. Physicists have observed that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, and they don't know why. The addition of new dimensions as the universe grows would explain this acceleration. (Stojkovic says a fourth dimension may have already opened at large, cosmological scales.)

I have to ask.... Is universal expansion just an orderly opening up of spatial dimensions? If so, is the 3rd dimension still opening up or is a 4th making inroads?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Expansion Due to Dimension Uncurling?  |  Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:20 am

Well, according to this hypothesis of mine, posted here, the Universe only looks 3-dimensional on a small scale, but is actually a 4-dimensional on a large enough scale. The analogy is with the surface of the Earth: on a small scale, it looks 2-dimensional, but we know that the surface of the Earth is actually 3-dimensional. Similarly, if the 4-D scape of the Universe is explored on a large enough scale, it may well turn out to be embedded in 5-D. And so on …

I do acknowledge that I'm saying all this with very little evidence to back my assertions. If you feel the need to dismiss it as nonsense, please do so. ;)

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: Expansion Due to Dimension Uncurling?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:35 am

Olinguito wrote:
Well, according to this hypothesis of mine, posted here, the Universe only looks 3-dimensional on a small scale, but is actually a 4-dimensional on a large enough scale. The analogy is with the surface of the Earth: on a small scale, it looks 2-dimensional, but we know that the surface of the Earth is actually 3-dimensional. Similarly, if the 4-D scape of the Universe is explored on a large enough scale, it may well turn out to be embedded in 5-D. And so on …

I do acknowledge that I'm saying all this with very little evidence to back my assertions. If you feel the need to dismiss it as nonsense, please do so. ;)

You're talking about the universe being a 3-manifold in a 4-hyperspace. I think they're talking about the manifold dimension itself being four. I would question how the laws of physics would transform, especially those involving cross products.