FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:01 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Heart Monitor  |  Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Wearing a heart monitor today. I've had arrhythmia going on for the last 25 years. I had a heart doctor but he retired 5 years ago and I figured that maybe I should find another one just in case. So he's putting me through all the stuff I've done in the past like stress tests. I aced the treadmill, went the distance without much trouble. Now I wear the monitor because he needs to know what happens during my sleep. Not sure what that means but I think it's apnea he wants to check. Personally my heart hasn't really given me any more problems since first diagnosed but part of my retired doctor's legacy has me downing blood thinners every day, along with cholesterol reducing statin. I hate taking any kind of pill but I guess if I didn't then I might not be typing this.

My first doctor didn't believe in ablation therapy but the new guy does so who knows, might be my next step. My brother had 3 or 4 before they fixed his irregular heartbeat....runs in the family. In my spare time I've been a basketball referee for a long time and have never experienced any heart discomfort while officiating.

The one thing I notice with this monitor is how small it is compared to its predecessor. The old ones were quite bulky, like putting on a fall arrest harness or lifejacket. Now I have a few wires and a little box clipped onto my belt. I only need to wear it 24 hrs and will be returning it tomorrow.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Gabriel Filice
Post  Post subject: Re: Heart Monitor  |  Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Good luck to all!

g o r t
Post  Post subject: Re: Heart Monitor  |  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:00 am

My wife had ablation 22 years ago and the problem (tachardia) is now starting to come back.
It does work, not sure why so many doctors are so recalcitrant.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Heart Monitor  |  Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

g o r t wrote:
My wife had ablation 22 years ago and the problem (tachardia) is now starting to come back.
It does work, not sure why so many doctors are so recalcitrant.

Sorry to hear about that. I was never given a reason by my old heart doctor and I've always assumed he never agreed with it since he was 'old school'. I've learned to live with the condition. I just carry on like normal, never any chest pains etc. I had more trouble sleeping with the damn monitor because it felt so uncomfortable. My insomnia could have been due to me being nervous any time I'm near something medical, including doctors. ;) Still waiting for the doc's office to call to discuss results.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss