FAQ
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:10 pm


Author Message
geordief
Post  Post subject: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Posts: 224

Offline
http://www.adhesiveandglue.com/modified-silane.html

I use this product around and outside the house in a variety of ways.

Is there a way to thin it at all so that I might occasionally use it to spread it more thinly ? Even some method of getting it of my hands would be handy to know. The only solution I have to this so far is scrubbing repeatedly (before it starts to cure). Of course wearing gloves helps ...


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 482
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
I don't know if it will work as a thinner but try ethanol to remove it from your hands. In the past I've used PEG-silanes that are soluble in alcohol (but this is mostly due to the PEG part of the molecule rather than the silane) it might be worth a try with your stuff...

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Posts: 224

Offline
PhDemon wrote:
I don't know if it will work as a thinner but try ethanol to remove it from your hands. In the past I've used PEG-silanes that are soluble in alcohol (but this is mostly due to the PEG part of the molecule rather than the silane) it might be worth a try with your stuff...


I will try the pharmacy (they don't always have stuff-I asked for acetone in the past for something else and they didn't have it)

What about alcohol?(I have some Malibu that I can't stand as well as some 70% Czech spicy concoction I have not the heart to offer anyone(Becherovka)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 482
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
Try asking for propanone (the IUPAC name for acetone), if the guy on the counter is not a chemist he may not know they are the same...

You could try the minging spirits or just buy some methylated spirit from the hardware store.

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Posts: 224

Offline
PhDemon wrote:
Try asking for propanone (the IUPAC name for acetone), if the guy on the counter is not a chemist he may not know they are the same...

You could try the minging spirits or just buy some methylated spirit from the hardware store.

thanks


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:05 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5566
Location: Iowa

Offline
acetone is available at the local big box hardware store where I live

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Posts: 224

Offline
iNow wrote:
acetone is available at the local big box hardware store where I live


I think sign makers and car painters buy it in bulk over here. It would be very simple for me to just ask the local garage for a jarfull.

Otherwise I buy a small container of nail varnish remover (the kind that is not "acetone free" ) which is adequate to my purpose of thinning polyurethane fibreglass resin which I used to do from time to time-as a rotten wood hardener/filler substitute.


Top
Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 2:53 am
Posts: 219

Offline
geordief wrote:
Is there a way to thin it at all so that I might occasionally use it to spread it more thinly ? Even some method of getting it of my hands would be handy to know.

Between the lines, I'm guessing you don't use the appropriate spreading or beading tools. Few people know of them. With all such caulk or adhesives I use rubber tools. The beading tool is little more than a rubber spatula: the trick is to apply too much from the tube, then plough that away before it skins, frequently plucking excess from your tool with toilet paper. This compresses the caulk into cracks and finishes it with perfect geometry. Never use your finger! Once cured, any glue peels clean off the rubber tool. For surface spreading, you'll probably improvise a rubber spreader... I personally have a collection of spreaders re-purposed from consumer trash ... that work for tile grout, contact cement, whatever.


Top
geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Posts: 224

Offline
Pong wrote:
geordief wrote:
Is there a way to thin it at all so that I might occasionally use it to spread it more thinly ? Even some method of getting it of my hands would be handy to know.

Between the lines, I'm guessing you don't use the appropriate spreading or beading tools. Few people know of them. With all such caulk or adhesives I use rubber tools. The beading tool is little more than a rubber spatula: the trick is to apply too much from the tube, then plough that away before it skins, frequently plucking excess from your tool with toilet paper. This compresses the caulk into cracks and finishes it with perfect geometry. Never use your finger! Once cured, any glue peels clean off the rubber tool. For surface spreading, you'll probably improvise a rubber spreader... I personally have a collection of spreaders re-purposed from consumer trash ... that work for tile grout, contact cement, whatever.

thanks. Yes those plastic rectangular spatulas that come with other products such as polyester body fillers are really easy to clean once the mastic has cured. They are ,more or less non stick and are also slightly flexible so that you can just lever it off afterwards

Actually the Ms Polymer mastics don't really need thinning (as you said)-it was just something bothering me.

For the cheap silicon mastic I sometimes thin it with white spirit and apply it to cloth or fabric as a way of waterproofing them but had the feeling this would not work with Ms Polymers .

I have bought some methylated spirit now . I have never used it before except for blow torch fuel (I think those must be museum pieces now).


Top
Thismare89
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 1

Offline
I came across the same question.


Top
One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 pm
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:05 am
Posts: 87

Offline
Quote:
Never use your finger!


Just out of interest : Why not?

OB


Top
Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 2:53 am
Posts: 219

Offline
Fingertip geometry won't leave a perfect radius. And it's messy. And typically forms ridges along the sides of the "tooling".

Caulk beads in bathrooms are an element of homes the occupants will view everyday, at close range, long and hard.


Top
geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 am

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Posts: 224

Offline
Pong wrote:
Fingertip geometry won't leave a perfect radius. And it's messy. And typically forms ridges along the sides of the "tooling".

Caulk beads in bathrooms are an element of homes the occupants will view everyday, at close range, long and hard.


Do you use shaped plastic applicators for getting into corners -or just flat rectangular shaped ones? I use my fingers for that and follow up with a cloth or similar ( and a repaint if it turns out smudgy).

But I am very unprofessional and my work is not very good although I do try to improve from one year to the next.


Top
Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Ms Polymers (a kind of builders'mastic)  |  Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 2:53 am
Posts: 219

Offline
Rubber not plastic. The right tool is flat with rounded corner - nearly identical to a rubber spatula. :)

A good one for beads is "Caulk-Rite". No more complicated than it needs to be. But you can make your own.


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   
cron

Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy