FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 pm

vitus1927
Post  Post subject: Nootropics  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:27 am

I have been doing some research into the subject of nootropics lately, and I am curious if any one here has any experience in the field.

I am working on a personal formula of sorts and looking for some advice on ingredients and how they interact with each other. I have a good starting point with some ingredients like B-vitmins, ginko biloba, and citicoline. I also know that caffeine can be a booster to some ingredients like L-Theanine. One of the ingredients I am currently looking into is creatine, since it is known for its use in the body building community to help with recovery and increased performance.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:53 am

vitus1927 wrote:
I have been doing some research into the subject of nootropics lately, and I am curious if any one here has any experience in the field.

I am working on a personal formula of sorts and looking for some advice on ingredients and how they interact with each other. I have a good starting point with some ingredients like B-vitmins, ginko biloba, and citicoline. I also know that caffeine can be a booster to some ingredients like L-Theanine. One of the ingredients I am currently looking into is creatine, since it is known for its use in the body building community to help with recovery and increased performance.

No one here is going to give you advice on taking food supplements or other non-food supplements. AFAIK no one here is a medical professional and it would be a) unethical and b) potentially dangerous.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

vitus1927
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 am

Would it be helpful to just talk about the ingredients I am looking into, or products on the market already? Can we discuss peoples experience with these ingredients or products? Maybe someone has read a study about the effects of some of these ingredients on the brain, or had a friend that was taking a certain product and saw first hand the effects.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

Better would be for you to do your own research and if specific questions arise to ask those here. Are you familiar with:

https://scholar.google.com

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

vitus1927
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 am

Not particularly. But I wouldn't mind looking around there. I have all my notes at home, but I do have a couple particular questions, I was just hoping to get some kind of conversation going first. When I get home I will post my other questions but I will also start looking and playing with the link you added

vitus1927
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 am

Something I have been looking into is Curcumin, which can supposedly help in cancer prevention among other things including its supposed ability to fight cognitive decline. However it has a poor oral bioavailability, except when enhanced with black pepper extract. From what I have read without the extract the curcumin just piles up in the colon and acts as an anti-inflammatory, but I am curious if only black pepper extract will work. Also curious in either case if I used these ingredients in a hot sauce if it could still have the same effects with the added effect of raised endorphins via the capsicum.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

Curcumin got a lot of attention after we found a large population in India (the Hindus) seem immune to neuro-degenerative diseases. Alzheimer's is one, maybe related to the bovine version BSE... a prion disease from digesting mutated proteins. Of course we wanted to know what was in the Hindu curry that stopped Hindu brain tissue from curdling in old age. We might isolate the ingredient and $ell it... thus these curcumin pills you're contemplating.

But consider the factor might be something Hindus don't eat. Just my hypothesis.

vitus1927
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:03 am

Pong wrote:
Curcumin got a lot of attention after we found a large population in India (the Hindus) seem immune to neuro-degenerative diseases. Alzheimer's is one, maybe related to the bovine version BSE... a prion disease from digesting mutated proteins. Of course we wanted to know what was in the Hindu curry that stopped Hindu brain tissue from curdling in old age. We might isolate the ingredient and $ell it... thus these curcumin pills you're contemplating.

But consider the factor might be something Hindus don't eat. Just my hypothesis.

Interesting theory. I will admit I was unaware of the origins of the curcumin in nootropics, but from the reports I have read there is some strong evidence in support of the curcumin working. It showed great promise for alzheimers in rats, and there have been some great studies for humans also.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Nootropics  |  Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rats. That blows away my hypothesis!