FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: snow  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:43 pm

if things continue as they are (and it doesn't look like the weather is going to take a turn for the worse) this will be fourth winter without any snow cover here in Cardiff

granted that Cardiff is part of the milder south-west corner of the UK, but we used to have at least a few days every winter when there was snow cover

maybe too early to call it global warming in action, but if this becomes the pattern for winters to come then surely that's what it might turn out to be ?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
if things continue as they are (and it doesn't look like the weather is going to take a turn for the worse) this will be fourth winter without any snow cover here in Cardiff

granted that Cardiff is part of the milder south-west corner of the UK, but we used to have at least a few days every winter when there was snow cover

maybe too early to call it global warming in action, but if this becomes the pattern for winters to come then surely that's what it might turn out to be ?

We are seeing similar trends here in the NW United states, with lower numbers of snow or freezing temperature days in the winters, and higher average summer temperatures.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We hit 85F in early February here in Texas, something that normally wouldn't occur until mid-April. We're also seeing a lot more early extreme thunderstorm and cyclonic activity, something that normally wouldn't occur until May.

EDIT: We hit 90F / 37C today

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

it's also the first time today that i've seen the sun in about two weeks - we also seem to have persistent patterns of weather (such as recently very murky and damp conditions) for long stretches at a time

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

Pacific Northwest coldest in living memory though. I don't know the numbers, but for practical example: a local lake froze thick enough for ice-skating - it hasn't done that since the 1960's.

"Climate change" might explain this. The polar jet stream - supposed to mark the boundary of the arctic air mass - has been wonky in recent years. A month ago it was running over Mexico. Today it's yet not even circumnavigating the north pole, rather confining itself to Canada. The so-called arctic air mass shouldn't pivot around Hudson's Bay! Now I'm wondering if we'll ultimately have two "arctic" systems in winter: one for N.America, one for Asia...?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 am

earlier this winter there was a massive cold spell in the Mediterranean, like snow and freezing temperatures in Greece - on the weather map you could see this blob of cold air reaching all the way down from Russia, whereas there was an opposite blob of warm air reaching up to the British isles

Deadly icy spell grips much of Europe, including Greek islands

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Pong wrote:
Pacific Northwest coldest in living memory though. I don't know the numbers, but for practical example: a local lake froze thick enough for ice-skating - it hasn't done that since the 1960's.

"Climate change" might explain this. The polar jet stream - supposed to mark the boundary of the arctic air mass - has been wonky in recent years. A month ago it was running over Mexico. Today it's yet not even circumnavigating the north pole, rather confining itself to Canada. The so-called arctic air mass shouldn't pivot around Hudson's Bay! Now I'm wondering if we'll ultimately have two "arctic" systems in winter: one for N.America, one for Asia...?

It was way colder this winter in Eastern Washington than it was in the last several for sure. I think we spent over a month total with the temperature sitting around -15F. It was to the point where the positive teens were feeling warm. Also our snow is sticking around longer this year so far than it has for the last four or five years.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
It was way colder this winter in Eastern Washington than it was in the last several for sure. I think we spent over a month total with the temperature sitting around -15F. It was to the point where the positive teens were feeling warm. Also our snow is sticking around longer this year so far than it has for the last four or five years.

Here in Niagara I've only had to do some serious shovelling once this winter and that was for only about 4" of snow. This February we hardly saw a snowflake and when we did it usually melted on contact with the ground. Today it's 50°F and no snow. We are situated between two Great Lakes, neither of which froze over this year. However of the previous February's the last two were some of the worst on record And don't ever want to see that again. Polar vortex became the new cold weather term during those two winters, not this year.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

Here in Niagara I've only had to do some serious shovelling once this winter and that was for only about 4" of snow. This February we hardly saw a snowflake and when we did it usually melted on contact with the ground. Today it's 50°F and no snow. We are situated between two Great Lakes, neither of which froze over this year. However of the previous February's the last two were some of the worst on record And don't ever want to see that again. Polar vortex became the new cold weather term during those two winters, not this year.

Seems like when you have a nasty winter, we have a mild winter and vice versa. It's 22F out right now (almost noon) and it's been snowing steadily for an hour. This time last year, most of the snow had melted, right now my field still has nearly two feet in places and at least one feet in the shallow spots. My road is a mess of thawed material that has refrozen into very solid ice. Between that and the recharge that our ground water got from all the rain in October and November I'm thinking this summer might be pretty decent.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

what the two if you are describing may well be explained by the position of the jet stream wave front
if you happen to be in the part where the northern winds prevail, then you're going to have a cold winter, but if you're positioned in that part of the wave where you get southerly winds, then it's going to be mild

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:47 am
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
what the two if you are describing may well be explained by the position of the jet stream wave front
if you happen to be in the part where the northern winds prevail, then you're going to have a cold winter, but if you're positioned in that part of the wave where you get southerly winds, then it's going to be mild

I kind of figured it was something to that effect. In any case I'm happy to have a fairly decent winter this year seeing as how they've become fewer and farther between for the last twenty years. I figure the long term effects of climate change will result in my area becoming more arid and hot overall.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:36 am

well, they definitely seem to be at that stage in Australia by now

Australia's summer broke 205 weather records, climate group says

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 pm

on the other hand, in Trumpland :

EPA chief doubts carbon dioxide's role in global warming

Yay ! let's have some more debate !
while Rome / Australia is burning

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: snow  |  Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I should have kept quiet. Old Man Winter is dumping on us today big time. 15 cm and counting since midnite. 30 cm expected by the time it stops. More snow than we saw in all of January and February. In Canada, whenever you brag about how nice it's been, you can expect to pay.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss