FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:40 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:49 pm

i just happened to stumble upon a mention of a journal called "Modern Theology", which claims to be peer reviewed

now i have a vague idea of how peer review works in scientific journals, but how can peer review even have any relevance in a theological journal ?

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:56 pm

marnixR wrote:
i just happened to stumble upon a mention of a journal called "Modern Theology", which claims to be peer reviewed

now i have a vague idea of how peer review works in scientific journals, but how can peer review even have any relevance in a theological journal ?

Easily - not everything written would be statements of beliefs. There could be arguments about morals, ethics, (church) history, translation or interpretation of biblical texts. There should be peer review to check internal consistency and accuracy. Underlying belief systems would presumably be taken for granted.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:15 pm

oh, i see - then it's not the type of publication where someone declares they had a revelation, take my word for it
because that would be rather hard to peer review

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Peer review can be as simple as others with the same interest, or in this case, evaluating the content for value and consistency within that group of people's ideas--even if those ideas are complete nonsense. It's not necessarily being measured against science standards, or even any set of reasoning. It could well be done on purpose with the goal of false equivalency with actual reasoning, much as intelligent design uses pseudoscience to mask as science.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 pm

I see what you're saying : their most recent issue is about Special Issue: The Reasons of Revelation: Theology After Post-Liberalism

and looking at some of the summaries, it seems to be about reinterpreting stuff for the present day, or at least how you can reword theology to iron out the contradictions if you stick to the old interpretations

so that's what theology does : if you can't change the scriptures, change the way you interpret them until you can believe in them again - unless you become a fundamentalist, in which case you stick to the unaltered scriptures, and then you have deny a whole load of reality that no longer fits in your world view

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 pm

I nearly choked on peer revue being applied to anything about religion because all religions are based on assumptions that cannot be proven about God.

Peer reviewed in science is proving and confirming a concept. Peer reviewed in religion is agreeing on interpretations of a myth and is agreeing on speculative nonsense.

Regards
DL

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Peer reviewed in science is proving and confirming a concept.

Just to clarify, science doesn't deal in proofs. Proving is for math.

Science puts forth models about reality and uses empiricism to validate or reject those ideas, but all ideas are only ever provisionally accepted. They're not proven. Not in science.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:57 pm

iNow wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Science puts forth models about reality and uses empiricism to validate or reject those ideas, but all ideas are only ever provisionally accepted. They're not proven. Not in science.

Being a poorly educated Frenchman, I will not argue the meaning of English words with you but instead hide behind whatever poor use of English this link is using.

http://evolutionfaq.com/articles/five-proofs-evolution

Sneaky of me. No?

Regards
DL

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

no

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
iNow wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Being a poorly educated Frenchman, I will not argue the meaning of English words with you but instead hide behind whatever poor use of English this link is using.

http://evolutionfaq.com/articles/five-proofs-evolution

Sneaky of me. No?

Regards
DL

Not acceptable so not you dont get to hide behind someone elses misuse of terms

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 pm

I am not hard up enough to argue semantics.

Regards
DL

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: theology and peer review  |  Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Dont post if you refuse to back up your assertions