FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:44 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:48 am
Original Member
Original Member

OMG...GOP...WTF?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

An echo of a silhouette
Bare feet covered with wet
Puddle dance
Mute romance
Light once more

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:09 pm

I knew I was of German, Irish, Polish, and Russian descent since I was young. After doing some more research on my family history I found out I may also be of English, French, Dutch, and Jewish descent also! I would have never guessed!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm

one of the best lyrics ever : "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow" (from Brimful of Asha by Cornershop)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:01 pm

marnixR wrote:
one of the best lyrics ever : "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow" (from Brimful of Asha by Cornershop)

much different from Let it Bleed ?

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rollings ... bleed.html

"She said, "My breasts, they will always be open
Baby, you can rest your weary head right on me"

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:09 pm

much prefer Cornershop's version

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:17 pm

marnixR wrote:
much prefer Cornershop's version

Had to google it. Surprised I knew it. Chalk and cheese ;-)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:15 pm

from the days that smoking was allowed in pubs, this notice in the toilets :

"don't leave cigarette butts in the urinals - after all, we don't piss in your ashtray"

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Playing chess in the pub ... My opponent is drunker than I am and playing an open attacking game. I'm sniping his pawns and winning ;)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

There's nothing like experiencing 3 out of 4 of life's most stressful events all at once. Pressure turns coal into diamonds... or just dust if mishandled.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:07 pm

I have done some research on my last name origin an I found out my last name is of English, German, Dutch, and Jewish origin. I know I am German, Irish, Polish, and Russian but I do not know if the term name origin implies family descent. Do you guys happen to know if the term name origin implies family descent?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 am

Worth at least an honourable mention in the Darwin Awards...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39956904

Quote:
It is still not clear why Mr Reinold tried to kiss the rattlesnake.

Because he is a f***ing dolt...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
It is still not clear why Mr Reinold tried to kiss the rattlesnake.

Because he's from Florida. That's all you need to know.

Check out the reddit for Florida Man: https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Looks like Florida is the US equivelant of our Norfolk! :lol:

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Looks like Florida is the US equivelant of our Norfolk! :lol:
That's broad humour :oops:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Stop it! :lol:

In the US they have hillbillies, we have to make do with fen billies ;)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

MODNOTE: Several posts have been split off and can be found here: topic2240.html

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Stop it! :lol:

In the US they have hillbillies, we have to make do with fen billies ;)

Although Florida really has no hills... They're just disturbed. lol

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm

tip for Theresa May: next time you have an epiphany when walking in the Welsh mountains, ignore it
the lack of oxygen clearly has gone to your head

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:36 pm

marnixR wrote:
tip for Theresa May: next time you have an epiphany when walking in the Welsh mountains, ignore it
the lack of oxygen clearly has gone to your head

On the other hand ,maybe the rest of the Tory cabinet should try it :D

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Has anybody tried out Treehouse for learning coding? Does anybody recommend it?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

No, but I've been in tree houses. Trees are cool.

Maybe stick to the computer science subforum for those sorts of inquiries, Matt. :)

Its interesting watching people used to weak flavorless coffee try a European brew or espresso, while also sad seeing their displeasure and surprise at the aromas and crema.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 pm

iNow wrote:
No, but I've been in tree houses. Trees are cool.

Maybe stick to the computer science subforum for those sorts of inquiries, Matt. :)

Its interesting watching people used to weak flavorless coffee try a European brew or espresso, while also sad seeing their displeasure and surprise at the aromas and crema.

I bought a packet of whole coffee beans without having a coffee grinder.

As there was an emergency I put them in a smoothie blender with a tiny bit of water to prime the system.

It didn't work too bad even if it was rather wasteful.Even the next day the "paste" was OK.

(I put the "paste" in a coffee filter and made it that way)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 pm

iNow wrote:

I love brewing and drinking Italian and French roasts. The aromas and tastes of the two coffees are great!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I don't drink much coffee anymore although I do occasionally buy those chocolate covered espresso beans and eat those.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am

am I the only one who finds the following statement rather strange ?

"In order to honour the victims of [insert any event worth commemorating], there will be a 2-minute silence in the public library"

aren't libraries supposed to be places of silence in the first place ? or were, anyway - possibly not anymore

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 pm

If you think
marnixR wrote:
libraries supposed to be places of silence
you should come to my local library. Even Wembley Stadium during an England international match is quieter than that place at most times, but especially after school. It is where school kids go on the pretext of "studying", but really just to have a rowdy time. I once complained about the behaviour of one group of them – only to be told that it was exam time and the kids were entitled to use that area for "studying". I was not a happy bunny that day. :evil:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Our college library is outside my staff room office, I'm often required to read the riot act:

"If you are not studying and just fannying about making a noise, bugger off and do it somewhere else!" ;)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:25 pm

PhDemon wrote:
"If you are not studying and just fannying about making a noise, bugger off and do it somewhere else!" ;)

clearly that somewhere else is the local public library then - i know who to blame next time i need ear muffs to contain the decibel levels

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 pm

Our students just tend to go to the refectory (whether it is open or not) or hang around the smoking area... I sometimes wish we could go back to the bad old days when you could give them a slap without being hauled up in front of a disciplinary panel! The short, sharp shock works... Nowadays I have to rely on verbal dexterity and wit to slap them down. (I'm very good at it.:))

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:21 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 am
Original Member
Original Member

There's a strange juxtaposition between being grateful to have a decent job and the feeling of going back to work after a leave.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MODNOTE: Several posts about ancestry have been split into their own thread here: topic2450.html

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Taking hot dogs, a food with already questionable composition, and stuffing them with a questionable gooey cheese-like substance is a perfect metaphor for America.

So, of course, I just ate three and am still hungry...perhaps another apt metaphor for America. :lol:

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Last Thursday I attended a Roger Waters concert with my parents and a friend of the family. We all had a good time and we also got free upgraded seats as a bonus!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We went from high temperatures in the 90s last week to highs of about 67 to 70 this week. Safe to say that summer has ended here. Now hopefully we will get some much needed rain.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:04 pm

today i've done plenty of healthy eating, i had a whole load of grapes
or to be fair, i made myself a grape smoothie

ok, i'll admit it, i had a few glasses of wine !

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:47 am
Original Member
Original Member

My pressure washer is easily one of the most satisfying tools I own.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:41 am

iNow wrote:
My pressure washer is easily one of the most satisfying tools I own.

What do you use it for ?(I have never owned one but friends use it for preparing exterior surfaces before painting them)