FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:50 am

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:07 am

I am a bit late to this party, but can I just give my 2p worth to the Darts on TV conversation?

Having televised a lot of darts (and most other sports) when I was in the BBC, I too wondered about its appeal. I think it is for a number of reasons.

Almost everybody has played darts, and the equipment required is minimal and cheap, so almost everybody can appreciate the game. Not many of us have played snooker on a decent full sized table, or golf, for example.

Each turn is only three darts and each game is quite quickly over, so results come fast, and a long attention span is not required. The scoring is simple and therefore the match is easy to follow - both factors are ideal for a television audience.

The tournament atmosphere and the darts game itself are like being in a (very large) rowdy and down to earth English pub which many UK residents can identify with ! Darts matches are still played by amateurs in pubs throughout the UK.

You don't have to be an athelete or even vaguely fit to play darts, which I'm sorry to say a lot of UK folk also identify with !

It is easy to identify with the players, whereas most of us can't imagine being a top tennis player or being in a league football or a Formula One team.

It is very easy to televise. You only need about 4 cameras with simple sound and lighting requirements, and all located in one small area. So it is cheap and easy for the TV companies to put on, and yet can fill hours of airtime.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 am

DrKrettin wrote:
PhDemon wrote:
DrKrettin wrote:
On another forum, somebody annoying is using the tactic of accusing me of exactly what I wanted to accuse him of. It makes no sense that way round, but it's an effective way of preempting my accusations. Does anybody know if there a technical term for this rhetorical device? ("Being an arsehole" is not specific enough)

I think that's the "tu quoque" fallacy (or dirty trick ;)) at least that is the closest one I can think of...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Hmmm - thanks - it's almost there. I'll have to think about that. Meanwhile, I have an excellent example of tu quoque from my youth, when my brother was arguing about the relative merits of gas-fired and electric ovens with my mother.

Brother: "and also, the thermal capacity of a gas oven is much larger, so you could cook a rice pudding in it after you've switched it off."
Mother: "but you don't like rice pudding anyway"

(is that a tu quoque?)

That is a mamaism ;)

But ,yes I would say it is a kind of tu quoque even if not rigorously so -more like a spoiling tactic.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Just got a private tutoring gig :)

£40 per week for 2 hours pw private tutoring in chemistry... That's the beer money sorted until the exams are over :lol:

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Having a kid throw up all over their bed at midnight is a challenge, especially when they ate a bunch of blueberries and raspberries after dinner. Get them up, shower the bits and chunks out of their hair, start the laundry to wash the sheets and blankets, blow dry their hair to stop the shivering. But then, when tornadoes strike a few miles away from you 20 minutes later amidst an extreme thunderstorm worse than any we've seen in a while and the power goes out, things truly get interesting... Puking in the dark without power, tornadoes spinning in an extreme thunder shower. Sounds like a badass metal album at least, but also a recipe for a madly tired morning...

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Having a kid throw up all over their bed at midnight is a challenge, especially when they ate a bunch of blueberries and raspberries after dinner. Get them up, shower the bits and chunks out of their hair, start the laundry to wash the sheets and blankets, blow dry their hair to stop the shivering. But then, when tornadoes strike a few miles away from you 20 minutes later amidst an extreme thunderstorm worse than any we've seen in a while and the power goes out, things truly get interesting... Puking in the dark without power, tornadoes spinning in an extreme thunder shower. Sounds like a badass metal album at least, but also a recipe for a madly tired morning...

that sounds like a stressful night. Makes me glad I just live well away from tornado country... Just a geologically exciting region! :D

Was out of town last weekend for work, this weekend I'm home, but then might be out of town for the following two weeks. Might have to go teach paleontology and geology to 7th grade students.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

The blueberries and raspberries were barely digested, but were crazy red and purple and violet and viscous and her sheets looked like a scene out of a horror film. It was wild.

Should we call these protesters on the left of US politics the green tea party, or maybe the chai latte party?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:52 am

PhDemon wrote:
Just got a private tutoring gig :)

£40 per week for 2 hours pw private tutoring in chemistry... That's the beer money sorted until the exams are over :lol:

Wow.... for 2 hs.... well done

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 am

I could charge more but it's the daughter of a friend of a friend so I'm being nice ;)

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 am

Does anybody know about the transmission of syphilis? It's just that I've read an interesting article about bones
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... out-cities

in which it says "Syphilis arrived in Europe in the pockets of acquisitive explorers and spread rapidly alongside the vital flow of trade on roads laid between urban centres and in armies..."

I thought it was strictly an STD

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 pm

PhDemon wrote:
I could charge more but it's the daughter of a friend of a friend so I'm being nice ;)

Good for you. I wouldn't have any student if I charged that... :lol: :lol:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Quote:
which it says "Syphilis arrived in Europe in the pockets of acquisitive explorers and spread rapidly alongside the vital flow of trade on roads laid between urban centres and in armies..."

Is "pockets" a euphemism for testicles? :lol:

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Quote:
which it says "Syphilis arrived in Europe in the pockets of acquisitive explorers and spread rapidly alongside the vital flow of trade on roads laid between urban centres and in armies..."

Is "pockets" a euphemism for testicles? :lol:

That's bollocks :mrgreen:

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Another hot day....

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Chilly and wet here today. Nice yesterday, did a wide lope'ing route home then.
I have Buenos Aires on my weather app. Can't say whether I find that weather news cheering or depressing.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 am

GiantEvil wrote:
I have Buenos Aires on my weather app. Can't say whether I find that weather news cheering or depressing.

It's depressing.... I want cold weather. Buenos Aires is on red alert because of the heat.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:38 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
GiantEvil wrote:

It's depressing.... I want cold weather. Buenos Aires is on red alert because of the heat.

It sounds as though the name of the city is a bit of a misnomer

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's March already! Hell!
My weather app says it's been mostly right around 80f down south there. For me that is buenos caliente.
It's chilly and wet here now, but summers lately have included a few days of around 100f.
Still better than Iraq, they get 110f+.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeah... it can always be worse.... that doesn't help me though....

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
. For me that is buenos caliente.

:lol: :lol:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I see it's like 90f there today, no es bueno without a river involved.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
It's March already! Hell!
My weather app says it's been mostly right around 80f down south there. For me that is buenos caliente.
It's chilly and wet here now, but summers lately have included a few days of around 100f.
Still better than Iraq, they get 110f+.

It frequently gets to about 100f here in Eastern Washington during the summer. Although it's a real dry heat, so it's tolerable with lots of trips to the river.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:23 pm

It's hot, it's humid and there are no rivers around.

But I have air conditioner 8-)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Having proper AC definitely helps. I can handle heat but not the heat with humidity. When I went to Florida in August a couple years ago, the humidity was what bothered me most.

While you're roasting Gabby, it's 32f here. Perfect t-shirt weather for me. :D

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:11 am

Ufff. Ok I'll tell something funny. The other day was really hot and I was riding the bus and had jeans on. I transpired so much that... it looked like I peed myself :lol:

Never ever that happened to me before. So embarrasing. Hahahhaha

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 am
Original Member
Original Member

:lol: :lol: How can you wear jeans in the heat? Anything over 70f and I'm wearing shorts. Hell I wear shorts in the winter half the time too.

On another note, I had to renew the tabs on my Jeep today. Renewed the tabs on my Camry a couple weeks ago and forgot that the tabs on the Jeep were expiring. After a handy reminder from a police officer today I went and renewed the Jeep.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:44 pm

The winter weather here in the US has been warmer than average this season. It is supposed to be a warmer than average in the US this March too. I cannot complain; I like the warmer weather. We only had a significant amount of snow once this season here in New Jersey.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:04 pm

I have been practicing my Java programming lately. I was programming in C++ a couple of months ago but when I found out Java is easier to learn and code in I decided to switch from C++ to Java for now. I like C++ but I think learning Java first will better prepare my for learning C++ later on. I do not spend a lot of time programming, right now it is just a hobby, but I have been making progress with Java and C++ so far.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:48 pm

I have been thinking about getting back into my medieval fantasy novel again. I want to start fresh with a new brainstorm and rewrite the whole novel so that it is longer. I got several pages into my first version but I got sidetracked with other things.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 am

Just when you think that people can't get more insane: Female politician proposes law to fine men $100 for masturbating as 'act against an unborn child'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/jessica-farrar-mans-right-to-know-masturbation-fine-texas-abortion-law-emission-a7626441.html

Dang - wrong thread. I thought this was just the coffee shop.

MODNOTE: Posts moved

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Maybe I read it wrong but isn't it just a piss take to mock the current legislation about abortion in Texas?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:14 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Maybe I read it wrong but isn't it just a piss take to mock the current legislation about abortion in Texas?

Not a piss take -more of a penis tag.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:48 pm

So... I'm obsessed with k-pop. How akward...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

M_Gabriela wrote:

:lol: I went through a J-pop stage. Only ever listened to a little bit of K-pop. You should give the Japanese J-pop singer YUI a try.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:

:lol: I went through a J-pop stage. Only ever listened to a little bit of K-pop. You should give the Japanese J-pop singer YUI a try.

I like j-pop and k-pop. But also love dir en grey xD

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:

I like j-pop and k-pop. But also love dir en grey xD

Dir En Grey is kickass! L'arc en ciel is another great Japanese rock band.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Got7 and Bts. But they are so funny when they visit tv shows...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

M_Gabriela wrote:
Got7 and Bts. But they are so funny when they visit tv shows...

Never listened to either of them. Admittedly most of the J-pop and K-pop I've listened to was introduced to me through anime.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 am

I just read that gravity is a toxin which causes arthritis
from now on I'll campaign for the introduction of gravity-free everything
long live the International Space Station !

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Let me guess you also learned that "chocolate is an octave of male sun energy, and this masculine octave of chocolate energy will come down from the sun and penetrate your heart" as well?

:lol: :lol: Fucking nutters

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 am

Why can't I find geranium on the periodic table?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:54 am

Dywyddyr wrote:
Why can't I find geranium on the periodic table?

Because it is on the occasional table?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

:oops: :oops: :oops:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

geordief wrote:
Because it is on the occasional table

Pure. Unadulterated. Awesome.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am

iNow wrote:
geordief wrote:
Because it is on the occasional table

Pure. Unadulterated. Awesome.

That is how they talk "up North" ("geranium" instead of "the geranium" -it is the Duck's neck of the woods)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis at 54 seconds in ("towns")

Last edited by geordief on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am

geordief wrote:
That is how they talk "up North" ("geranium" instead of "the geranium" -it is the Duck's neck of the woods)

Posh people round here would actually say t'geranium.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 am

Dywyddyr wrote:
geordief wrote:

Posh people round here would actually say t'geranium.

It's become an affectation?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:02 am

It's not on the periodic table but in my prep room I have a bottle of geraniol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraniol)...

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 am

PhDemon wrote:
It's not on the periodic table but in my prep room I have a bottle of geraniol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraniol)...

If I have a (wild)beehive in an inconvenient position ,do you think I could use it to persuade them to relocate?

There are apparently malodorous treatments to encourage them to leave. They haven't returned this year(yet) so it is a bit hypothetical but the space they like is both inconvenient and dangerous to approach.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

I've no idea, it smells flowery (but the pure stuff is overpowering)... You could give it a try it's fairly cheap (http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/sea ... us=product)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:51 pm

marnixR wrote:
I just read that gravity is a toxin which causes arthritis
from now on I'll campaign for the introduction of gravity-free everything
long live the International Space Station !

afterthought : since Isaac Newton invented gravity, he must surely have been in the pocket of Big Pharma