FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 am

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 pm

I think they do it because they have very small lashes [EDIT: meant eyebrows] so it is easier to shave them and draw them in after. There are other people that have them tattooed. I think it would be easier to fill in the ones you already have but each one does its own thing..

Last edited by iNow on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited per request below

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 pm

I know a guy who shaved his eyebrows off for a bet when we were students (i.e. young, drunk and stupid). They never grew back... He now looks quite odd :lol:

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:14 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
I think they do it because they have very small lashes so it is easier to shave them and draw them in after. There are other people that have them tattooed. I think it would be easier to fill in the ones you already have but each one does its own thing..

I meant eyebrows... not lashes. How do you edit this?????? I can't see the edit button

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

On this forum there is a time limit for editing posts, once it has expired the edit button disappears. I think the edit button also disappears once the post has been replied to. If you really want to change it send iNow a mesage as mods can edit any post any time.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Am I the only person who finds it weird that girls shave off their eyebrows and then draw in fake eyebrows in pencil?

No, not at all! I have strong feelings of distaste for this, too, often to the point where I have to look away because of the repulsion I feel. I don't know why it bothers me so, but absolutely am aligned with you here.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
On this forum there is a time limit for editing posts, once it has expired the edit button disappears. I think the edit button also disappears once the post has been replied to. If you really want to change it send iNow a mesage as mods can edit any post any time.

Correct.

Gabby - I took care of it. Glad to edit it differently if you'd prefer.

As PhDemon shared, there is a time limit on post editing. It's intended to prevent disingenuous people from going back and changing their argument after others have replied to it.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Ok thanks!!!

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Did anyone watch Arrival?? I wasn't sure about going to the movies to see it....

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:40 am

I suppose there are advantages to looking like a cartoon character: mid-conversation, in response to a particularly surprising comment, you can halt the conversation to erase your current eyebrows and sketch on some higher, arched eyebrows.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 am

I kind of feel sorry for men. Thanks to make-up, you can go to bed with a supermodel and wake up with... not, a supermodel.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Poor Mila...

Back to work after holiday.... Ufff...

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I've been back a week already you slacker! ;)

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

It's summer here.. there's absolutely nothing to do... what am I doing here?????? It's 5 months and 30 days for my next holidays :geek:

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:39 pm

I meant vacations, not holidays. Sorry!!

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

<--------- That picture is from Perito Moreno Glacier. Beautiful... Stunning. Now I'm back in Bs As with 40°C...(104°f)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I kind of feel sorry for men. Thanks to make-up, you can go to bed with a supermodel and wake up with... not, a supermodel.

No, I feel sorry for women if they think they need to look like supermodels to end up in the sack with a guy. I'm sure some of those supermodels :roll: I slept with wondered where Fabio went to during the night. Who needs makeup when the booze is flowing.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:09 am

Mila Kunis was killed in that photo... but she is a gorgeous woman..

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 am

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Rory wrote:

No, I feel sorry for women if they think they need to look like supermodels to end up in the sack with a guy. I'm sure some of those supermodels :roll: I slept with wondered where Fabio went to during the night. Who needs makeup when the booze is flowing.

I was not going to respond to this post, but I agree with Zinj - you appear to have a funny idea of men's preferences, Rory : not all of us are that enamoured with made-up dolls as you appear to think we are

in fact, I find excessive use of make-up offputting

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
Zinjanthropos wrote:
Rory wrote:

I was not going to respond to this post, but I agree with Zinj - you appear to have a funny idea of men's preferences, Rory : not all of us are that enamoured with made-up dolls as you appear to think we are

in fact, I find excessive use of make-up offputting

Here's to all the gals who don't require makeup, facelifts, tummy tucks, boob jobs, hair dye, etc to look good. Besides,doesn't most sleeping activity take place in some degree of darkness. ;)

I can remember a time, and I don't know if it still holds, when girls who wore glasses were deemed less attractive. Maybe it was a woman thing because I don't recall any guys who actually felt that way, I know I didn't.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Don't be so categorical... there are men who doesn't like women in glasses or women with or without make-up.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

M_Gabriela wrote:
Don't be so categorical... there are men who doesn't like women in glasses or women with or without make-up.

Huh? 'Men don't make passes at girl's who wear glasses' was not an axiom of my doing. I just disagree with it. I've also dated women who don't wear glasses, wear makeup, etc......what's your point?

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:

Huh? 'Men don't make passes at girl's who wear glasses' was not an axiom of my doing. I just disagree with it. I've also dated women who don't wear glasses, wear makeup, etc......what's your point?

This:

Quote:
I can remember a time, and I don't know if it still holds, when girls who wore glasses were deemed less attractive. Maybe it was a woman thing because I don't recall any guys who actually felt that way, I know I didn't.

Anyway this is silly... forget all about this.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Not as silly as this:

https://www.quora.com/Does-The-Flat-Ear ... -the-globe

Flat Earth Crank: "Is that my foot I've just shot and then put in my mouth?" :lol:

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ph, do you know if Molon Labe "Dr Krettin" is in this Science Forum with another name??

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't think he is here... Unless he has changed his posting style completely and is hiding ;)

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Ok... please don't laugh at me but.... today and with 31 years old... I found out that not 2 but 12 men stepped on the moon... I could not believe it.. I said how could it be possible that I never found out that there were 5 missions to The Moon...... I'm still shocked at my ignorance...
And I found out because I read that Gene Cernan, the eleventh men who stepped on the Moon, died today.

Besides what's with all the people that doesn't believe men stepped on the Moon...

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:32 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:

Ph, do you know if Molon Labe "Dr Krettin" is in this Science Forum with another name??

He is here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks!!

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:02 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
Thanks!!

¡No lo menciones!

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm

geordief wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:
Thanks!!

¡No lo menciones!

8-)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Watched the new Series of Unfortunate Events show on Netflix this last weekend. It was good. They stuck really close to the books and the casting was phenomenal. I highly recommend it to everyone here.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:58 am

M_Gabriela wrote:

Hello Hello I've found you all, after a tip-off about this post.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:23 am

Molonnnnnnnn muaks muakssss

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

DrKrettin wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:

Hello Hello I've found you all, after a tip-off about this post.

Hey nice to see you here!

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Off topic, happy new POTUS day!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 pm

how dare you go off topic in this thread ! :lol:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The hi-chew's in the bag taste different than the ones you buy in the stick. And they're supposed to be the same flavor.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:14 am

The world did not come to an end.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Things are already getting worse looking, after three days

but its quiet here now that Rory is in a huff

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Quite quality is better than busy stupid. Maybe not from a site traffic point of view but from a forum reputation point of view...

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:22 pm

The first word in the above post should have been "quiet" not "quite" damn fat finger typing ;)

But at least that loony CEnglebrecht has found us :roll:

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One has to wonder what forum he got trounced and chucked out of to come back here is such s snit.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:57 am

That has just reminded me of the banned/suspended thread I've been reading on another forum. I find these threads the most entertaining. Anyway, there is a post which says something like

HamburgJoe suspended for two weeks for ... (bla bla, being a naughty boy)

Then shortly afterwards comes the post

NotHamburgJoe banned for being a sockpuppet for HamburgJoe

Duh :roll:

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 am

DrKrettin wrote:
That has just reminded me of the banned/suspended thread I've been reading on another forum. I find these threads the most entertaining. Anyway, there is a post which says something like

HamburgJoe suspended for two weeks for ... (bla bla, being a naughty boy)

Then shortly afterwards comes the post

NotHamburgJoe banned for being a sockpuppet for HamburgJoe

Duh :roll:

How's it going?

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 am

M_Gabriela wrote:
How's it going?

Generally fine, thanks. I'm almost always in Tenerife where the weather is about +20 degrees. But at the moment I'm in Munich looking after grandchildren, and it's -17 degrees. Freezing, and I'm not used to it. A friend in Tenerife has kindly pointed out that it's a temperature difference of 37 degrees, which was very helpful :evil:

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 pm

DrKrettin wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:
How's it going?

Generally fine, thanks. I'm almost always in Tenerife where the weather is about +20 degrees. But at the moment I'm in Munich looking after grandchildren, and it's -17 degrees. Freezing, and I'm not used to it. A friend in Tenerife has kindly pointed out that it's a temperature difference of 37 degrees, which was very helpful :evil:

-17??? That's terrible... I heard about the polar wave in Europe..... It's causing serious damages and deaths. Here we have 30-35°, very humid. It's pretty hot and unbearable. I can't sleep well at night.... The same with you probably but for the opposite reasons :lol:

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:29 pm

DrKrettin wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:
How's it going?

You should leave those altfacts pills alone. Did you mean minus 7 ? That is what it is showing now over the next 5 days

Or has it got down to -17 recently?.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2867714

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:02 pm

geordief wrote:
You should leave those altfacts pills alone. Did you mean minus 7 ? That is what it is showing now over the next 5 days

Or has it got down to -17 recently?.

It has warmed up a bit in the last two days, and my son said it had reached -17 in the night two nights ago. It does sound unlikely, although Nürenburg was -13 yesterday. Oddly, I can't find any site giving historical data earlier than that. It's difficult to tell the difference between effing cold and effing cold - 10.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:19 pm

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 645,69.565
Works for me on a desktop.You can also go back in time and get temperatures as well as the wind

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
Do you know if the gift cards are for specific purchases, such as specific restaurants or stores, of are they like cash and usable for anything you want to buy at any location?

There are three gift cards, 500 (USD) VISA gift card usable anywhere, 500 (USD) Walmart gift card, and a 500 (USD) Darden restaurant card. Darden owns a lot of restaurants but they're mostly on the east coast, the only one near me is Olive Garden. All in all, pretty damn cool, considering I didn't pay anything to win all this. Also got a call from Verizon, confirming the shipping address, so they should be here sometime next week. Also have to come up with a quote to send them for using me in their Smart Rewards promotions.

Getting 1500 dollars in free gifts cards sounds cool! You could get a nice tablet with your 500 dollar VISA or Walmart gift card. Just remember that gift cards can expire or can be subject to fees, like inactivity fees, which can diminish its value.