FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:35 am

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:08 am

A friend posted a video about the creation of time crystals for me to see but I'm not sure I understood. They seem to be crystals that move around on their own without outside force. I could be wrong about that though. I don't get where the 4D part comes in though. They're not moving forward or backward in time. They're just moving. More importantly, what good can come from having these things, whatever they are?

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 am

You mean these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_crystal?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 am

LilSaber wrote:
More importantly, what good can come from having these things, whatever they are?

well, you could ask yourself, together with Franklin, "what good is a newborn baby?"

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Yes, I mean those. And I don't know. They have no inherent use.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:

Hmm, should something always need to have an immediate inherent use?

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:06 am

paleoichneum wrote:
LilSaber wrote:

I would think so. Why create it otherwise?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 am
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
LilSaber wrote:

I would think so. Why create it otherwise?

For the joy and interest in the process of creation. That's how art works. Its the joy of creation that results in a piece being created.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:09 am

This isn't art though.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 am

What does "inherent use" mean? (they clearly have a use as a topic of conversation if nothing else☺ )

Did you mean "no practical use"?

I think that any new discovery can serve as an inspiration for further, unrelated discoveries.

Science cannot stand still by definition.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:24 am

I meant practical use, yes.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:55 am
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:
This isn't art though.

It doesn't have to have a practical use, and art is defined differently by everyone.

Why do you feel they should not have been created?

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm not saying that. I just don't see the purpose.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Bear in mind that a lot of things you use every day had no use when they were discovered (from Teflon to post-it note glue to aluminium). The use came later. You seem to think every invention or discovery must immediately have a use... That's not how research and development works. Often the only reason something is done is it a) answers a question or b) because we can and it might be cool.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Sorry for my ignorance.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Often the only reason something is done is it a) answers a question or b) because we can and it might be cool.

This is a good summation of why I've done all of the stupid things in my life. :lol:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Me too, both in and out of the lab :lol:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 pm

famous last words : "hey guys, look what I can do !"

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 am

I still have scars that I will carry to my dying day from one of my "what happens if...?" experiments... Luckily it happened before 'elf and safety went mad. I admitted I fucked up, filled in a form saying it was my own bloody fault and that was the end of it... I could write a book on injuries and accidents I've had in my years doing chemistry ;)

PS the scars are from sulphuric acid burns, luckily they are on my thighs so hidden, you won't ever see me wearing shorts, concentrated acids aren't toys, mind how you go kids! :lol:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

That sounds painful... And I thought breaking my hand from punching shale was bad. :) I've had some small chemical burns from concentrated cleaning agents but nothing like that. Most of my idiot related injuries are cuts, stabs, and broken fingers.

A friend and I once decided playing regular old darts were boring. :roll: So we devised a game where one of laid on my bed while the other walked across the doorway like an old cartoon shooting gallery. The person on the bed had to hit the other with darts. I have a scar on my thigh and on my calf muscle from that. My friend probably has some on his ass cheek and thighs. That all answered the question of whether we could hit moving targets. :lol:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 am

I have to say (with typical British understatement) it stung a bit... Apparently when it happened my swearing was heard on other floors of the building :lol:

Not like when I gassed myself with chlorine... I couldn't speak for a while, had a 6 hour nosebleed and was in hospital breathing oxygen for 24 hours... Chemistry is fun! ;)

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:23 pm

LilSaber wrote:
I'm not saying that. I just don't see the purpose.

The "purpose" is to further our understanding of how the universe works. As to what practical use might come come of it, who can say? Not pursuing something just because there is no immediately apparent practical use is a bit short-sighted.
I'll give you an example. During his attempts to create a practical electric light, Edison at one point tried putting an extra wire with an applied voltage near the filament (he had no real reason behind this; he just worked by trying everything until he found something that worked.) During testing, he found that a current started to flow in this wire once the filament heated up. Since this did not have any effect in terms of his goal, he considered it an interesting effect but of no useful purpose and never went back to pursue it. That "interesting effect of no useful purpose" turned out to be the basis for the operating principle of the vacuum tube, which in turn, led to the whole electronics industry.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:41 pm

PhDemon wrote:
I have to say (with typical British understatement) it stung a bit... Apparently when it happened my swearing was heard on other floors of the building :lol:

Not like when I gassed myself with chlorine... I couldn't speak for a while, had a 6 hour nosebleed and was in hospital breathing oxygen for 24 hours... Chemistry is fun! ;)

Hooray for other people doing stupid things so that I can learn what's dangerous and avoid it. ;)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:22 pm

I use students for that :lol:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: wtf are time crystals?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I googled time crystal, and the subject is insanely quantum weird/difficult. I feel it would take me hours to months to build a knowledge base for even the crudest of understandings. These are the parts I understand; time crystals are a new state of matter, the maths had predicted them for years, due to technology they have just recently been realized but still await formal confirmation.