FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:35 am

One beer
Post  Post subject: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Help !!

I am installing a new hand basin and my wedding ring has marked the white porcelain.

My ring is made of zirconium with black zirconium bands.

When handling the basin, my ring has left a couple of what look like pencil lines - but more silvery in colour- on the surface of the porcelain. They won't rub off and using standard bathroom cleaner is not making any difference. The basin is brand new and not even fitted yet.

How can I remove the metal marks without damaging the porcelain surface?

Thanks.

OB

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:02 pm

have you tried a pencil rubber ?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Is it a stain or a scratch through the porcelain surface? If it is the former you could try a mild oxidizing agent (like a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution) or mild reducing agent (e.g. Sodium thiosulphate solution- photographers "hypo") to oxidize or reduce the stain to something soluble that will rinse off... Disclaimer: this works for lab glassware stained with metal salts (usually iron (III) and permanganate - they're a bitch to clean off ;)) but I've never tried it on porcelain. Test it on an old basin first!

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:24 pm

I am not sure if it is a scratch - It doesn't feel like one and I don't think I pressed that hard, no harder than you would a pencil.

It seems to have 'drawn' a tiny strip of netal on, like a pencil does with graphite.

The mark will not rub off with my finger, or a bathroom cleaning pad. I will try a pencil rubber, peroxide and hypo. Is the surface of porcelain glass? If so then mild acid should not damage it, but it would dissolve the metal? I can test this on the old basin, if I can reproduce the mark.

I now remember this happening with another basin years ago I put an aluminium spirit level on the basin, and I noticed later that there were tiny tracks of metal left on the porcelain.

OB

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Porcelain is a ceramic and should be able to withstand dilute acids and alkalis, most cleaning products are moderately to highly acidic/alkaline (although as it says on these cleaning products I would advise you to test it on "innocuous area" or an old basin first!). It might be worth trying vinegar as a dilute weak acid before buying peroxide or thiosulphate...

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:45 pm

If all else fails there's always Tippex! :lol'

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Zirconium marks on porcelain ??  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 pm

Ha ha, I like the Tippex idea !

Mrs One beer has found on the web that many people have this problem with aluminium pans marking white "Belfast" sinks, or toilet bowls which have been cleared with metal implements.

They say to use baking soda and then windex, which I imagine is a very mild abrasive.

I will experiment on the old basin tomorrow.

OB