FAQ
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:45 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:42 pm

we've been working on a local RIGS (regionally important geological site) location, and have been successful in exposing calcrete levels in the Llanishen conglomerate (early Devonian)

just recently we've returned to the site to clear up leaves and washed off soil that's accumulated over the past autumn and winter months
no problem there, however, we noticed that moss had started to grow on large parts of the rock face, which, if not treated, forms a layer where ferns and other plants can take hold

my question is : is there any way that the rockface could be treated in order to prevent this growth ? since the site is in a local nature reserve, we can't obviously use anything that might be detrimental to nearby wildlife - all we want to do is to keep the geological exposure free of moss, but the surrounding plants (especially the bluebells) should not be affected

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:15 pm

marnixR wrote:
we've been working on a local RIGS (regionally important geological site) location, and have been successful in exposing calcrete levels in the Llanishen conglomerate (early Devonian)

just recently we've returned to the site to clear up leaves and washed off soil that's accumulated over the past autumn and winter months
no problem there, however, we noticed that moss had started to grow on large parts of the rock face, which, if not treated, forms a layer where ferns and other plants can take hold

my question is : is there any way that the rockface could be treated in order to prevent this growth ? since the site is in a local nature reserve, we can't obviously use anything that might be detrimental to nearby wildlife - all we want to do is to keep the geological exposure free of moss, but the surrounding plants (especially the bluebells) should not be affected

Did you come up with any ideas? It seems a very difficult problem to me .You want a "selective weedkiller" for moss.

I think acetic acid does work for moss but I am fairly sure it will kill other vegetation too.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 pm

no solution thus far - for the time being we used stiff (but not metal wire) brushes, but that's hard work and doesn't keep the moss off
someone in the group was talking about some thick liquid moss killer which would hopefully stick yo the rock and not spread too far

on the next visit we'll see if anyone has brought any along and we might try a small section to see how it goes

my question was to try and see whether there were other options that we might have overlooked

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:06 pm

Could you go down the biological control route and find a critter that eats moss but not the other plants in the area?

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 am

I must admit that I don't know of any such controls
after all, we're only a small group of people with a mostly geological background, and not well-versed in pest control

besides, doesn't biological controls require a tortuous approval route ? and require means of containment ?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am

marnixR wrote:
I must admit that I don't know of any such controls
after all, we're only a small group of people with a mostly geological background, and not well-versed in pest control

besides, doesn't biological controls require a tortuous approval route ? and require means of containment ?

Possibly, I don't know, I'm a chemist! Just thinking out loud...

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

A harmless yet deadly herbicide?

A solution I've employed... is, well, I doubt you'll believe me 'cause I get nothing but "does not compute" incredulity from others. I'll put it round-about:

When you take a potato or a bunch of spinach from the refrigerator, they're alive. These plants might take root and sprout or flower if given the chance. But after you've immersed them in boiling water or steamed them, they're dead. A cooked carrot in the soil is worm-food. Same for mosses and ferns. You can boil/steam the life out of them where they stand. Of course there's no toxic residue. You might like to eat the fiddleheads while they're still hot.

Around the yard it's easy to dump a potfull of boiling water over some unwanted plants. But how to heat sufficient volumes of water in the field, how much earth do you need to saturate? For a modest investment you could buy a propane burner sized for the huge pots people use for canning. You said you washed the rockface before. So no harm sloshing more water across it. :)

The common treatment for moss (on roofs) is zinc. Ribbons of pure zinc are affixed near the peak, where rainwater picks up a trace of zinc as it runs down. There's some controversy whether it really works. You can also get zinc suspended in a solvent (I think it's "mineral spirits") sold as wood preservative. You can spray that. Antifungal. But though treated wood is blithely placed all over the landscape including protected areas, I dislike the idea of fungicide leeching through the soil. Tree roots depend on symbiotic fungi at their tips.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:51 am

Pong wrote:
Around the yard it's easy to dump a potfull of boiling water over some unwanted plants. But how to heat sufficient volumes of water in the field, how much earth do you need to saturate? For a modest investment you could buy a propane burner sized for the huge pots people use for canning. You said you washed the rockface before. So no harm sloshing more water across it.

our group is very low budget, so unless someone has any equipment available, we don't have the funds to buy anything that's even moderately expensive
still, I might enquire if anyone can get hold of some steam cleaning equipment, or a type of high pressure hose some people use to clean their drive - although, being a conglomeratic deposit we don't want to go dislodging large chunks of rock

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 am

marnixR wrote:
Pong wrote:
Around the yard it's easy to dump a potfull of boiling water over some unwanted plants. But how to heat sufficient volumes of water in the field, how much earth do you need to saturate? For a modest investment you could buy a propane burner sized for the huge pots people use for canning. You said you washed the rockface before. So no harm sloshing more water across it.

our group is very low budget, so unless someone has any equipment available, we don't have the funds to buy anything that's even moderately expensive
still, I might enquire if anyone can get hold of some steam cleaning equipment, or a type of high pressure hose some people use to clean their drive - although, being a conglomeratic deposit we don't want to go dislodging large chunks of rock

Well if you are considering steam ,it may be better to just use a roofing flame torch.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/roofing-torch

Perhaps you only need to cover a small area? Just a vertical section to show some layers of the rocks?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:23 pm

a flame torch might be worth considering
we'll have to see what it does to the rock face on a small scale before we apply it on a wider area

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Maybe in damp weather when the rock face is already wet and the calcrete has water in its pores. Charcoal staining won't be possible unless you boil off all the water (overkill).

Either way wants a tank of propane, a hose for that, attached to a large flame burner of some kind; and water. Geordief's idea swaps a camp stove for a roofer's torch, eliminates the pot, and has nature deliver the water herself. His is better.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 am

I was thinking of something like this - do you think it might cover sufficient surface area ?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 am

marnixR wrote:
I was thinking of something like this - do you think it might cover sufficient surface area ?

I doubt it. It would be more accurate though and you might use to test out on a small area whether it is a good idea.

I wonder if you think you will have to repeat the process in a few months . Is this just for ease of working or is it a permanent display for the public?

If the growth is thick it may require quite a lot of heat ,but as used in the garden for weeds the idea is to catch new growth very young and burst the "blood vessels" when they are vulnerable .

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
a flame torch might be worth considering
we'll have to see what it does to the rock face on a small scale before we apply it on a wider area

I will note, During a stratagraphic dig at the Stonerose site, (Me and Falconers site) a roofing torch was used to dry the shale. The areas that were dried had expansion/shrinking fractures form as the moisture left the areas, and the matrix heated up.

It may work for your site temporarily, though maybe making the outcrop face more susceptible to increased weathering, and it will only last a small time, as the next rains will bring more moss/lichen/fern spores down from the vegetation at the top and restart the growth.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: RIGS site clearance  |  Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 pm

ok, in that case it's probably sticking to something mildly obnoxious to moss and ferns, supplemented by elbow grease ?