FAQ
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 am

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Hello. So I would like to talk about this cliché expression that I dislike. Because it's completely false and discriminatory.

Drinking water, eating a healthy meal, maintaining hygiene and health. Those are basic needs that guarantee our own survival. And we have to pay for all them.

Is a person happy without having those basic needs satisfied? I think not. Is it a personal opinion? Yes. Are there papers saying the contrary? More Less... because in those papers they say that they are more less happy because despite they have friends and family they would like to improve their conditions.
But I think that as they were brought up homeless and are not aware of what they could have if they had more money in their pockets, do they really know what they're missing? I'm talking about not only satisfying, properly, basic needs, also being able to rent an apartment, doing activities that you couldn't before, even travelling. Being part of this money-dependent society and stop being excluded.

I have my doubts.

I also added that I think it's discriminatory because only people with money say money doesn't buy happiness. It's as if this expression is only valid when your basic needs are satisfied, so we are narrowing the population where we can apply it... and that's discrimination, in my opinion. We forget that we even have to pay for drinking water...

Do you also think that this expression is way overrated?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I do. A great many people with huge amounts of money are still themselves very unhappy and even depressed.

I think the idea underlying the expression is that winning the lottery will not be enough to bring inner contentment and psychological peace. If you're chasing a big paycheck to satisfy an inner sadness, then you're focused on the wrong things.

Happiness comes from close social relationships, good experiences and travel, giving back to those around us and contributing to society. All of these things are scientifically demonstrated to dramatically increase happiness.

That said, we still have Maslow's famous hierarchy. Money is not sufficient to be happy, but it sure helps. If one spends their entire day struggling to survive, to find food, seeking shelter, feeling scared and anxious and alone unsure whether they'll wake up the next morning safe... those folks will obviously not be happy. Life for them is too hard. It brings sadness.

Money would help to ensure food and shelter and security and safety... all important things...but eventually when food and shelter and security and safety are all in hand... a standard part of each day... the individual may still be unhappy despite access to those things, and that's the point.

Money alone doesn't make one happy, but the absence of money certainly makes achieving happiness much harder.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Quote:
Money alone doesn't make one happy, but the absence of money certainly makes achieving happiness much harder.

EXACTLY!

I still think it's discriminatory because we take for granted basic things that we buy but others can't at all, and are important for our life.

This expression should be eradicated. :ugeek: Yes, I'm extreme.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:54 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
This expression should be eradicated. :ugeek: Yes, I'm extreme.

Not eradicated, but modified, as it often is, to

The love of money does not bring happiness

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

The cliché stands also on another - I think wrong - assumption: that people should be happy.

The pursuit of happiness itself is a paradox. But however we turn it, I find anecdotally that I'm most alive when unhappy about something. It seems the trick is, to choose what makes one unhappy, and then attack it while cultivating that negative feeling.

Happiness can't buy you a purpose in life.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm reminded of the oft mentioned tension betweeen happiness, contentment, and fulfillment. We so frequently conflate them.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: money does not buy happiness  |  Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
happiness, contentment, and fulfillment.

I've seen these for sale on street corners.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss