FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

chadthecat
Post  Post subject: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:02 pm

right this may not be true for all people but,you know how all chess grandmasters are so good and can remember all there chess games peice for peice,can play blindfolded ect....well my theory is most of the chess grandmasters started playing at a young age,maby people with super high iq's start reading and learning at a young age out of interest and ends up later with the high iqs?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:52 pm

You don't really have a theory, you have an idea (which incidentally seems to confuse IQ with knowledge, they are not the same). If you want to discuss your idea you will need to provide evidence to support it. Theories should have explanatory power, what does your theory explain? Theories should also have predictive power. What testable predictions does your theory make? Until you develop your initial idea and answer these questions I don't think you'll generate much interest here.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:28 pm

There is some research on similar questions. One longitudinal study of many twins looked at reading and found early reading only improved later reading skills, but didn't' extend into broader IQ measures, nor even verbal skills as other studies suggested.

"However, unlike those authors, we did not find associations of reading exposure (measured by the ART) with later intelligence; the only associations in our models were with reading ability." http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12272/full

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm

chadthecat wrote:
maby people with super high iq's start reading and learning at a young age out of interest and ends up later with the high iqs?

Or maybe people start reading/ learning at an early age because they have high IQs.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 pm

I won't bore you with the details but I wrote a few assignments in my teacher training year that argued IQ was a poor indicator of future success and is very heavily culturally biased. There is a lot of guff written on the subject but the work of Sternberg is better than most...

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 am

PhDemon wrote:
IQ was a poor indicator of future success .....

Trump would agree with that, if he could understand the statement. By the way, "success" is even more poorly defined than IQ

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 am

True, I think I spent a large part of the introduction waffling about what I meant by "success" - this is why I hate the social sciences :p

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:14 am

My experience, for what it's worth, is that those with very high IQs tend to finish up buried in some academia, enjoying varying levels of success. I know several people in the computer software business who went on to set up their own companies and become very rich. These were not the ones who went into it after a university degree, but they were the ones who had failed to get to university and who had quite visible chips on their shoulders about education and were determined to prove themselves. Those in the software business who were capable mathematicians seemed quite content to hide away and use their academic abilities just for the reward of a salary.

The last time I met an ex-colleague who had his own company and a huge fortune, he commented that he had never seen the point in reading fiction, because a book should contain useful facts. He obviously judged people on the size of their house and car, and no doubt saw himself as a big success. I saw him as a pointless failure with a massive drink problem, so it's all a matter of perspective.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 am

I also once knew a guy (who also happened to be a very bright computer programmer - with a PhD who started as an academic but left and set up his own business) who never read fiction. When I asked why he said: "Well it's all just made up innit!"...(he was a Brummie) :lol:

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Most academics I know don't care too much about money...they just enjoy using their brains to do research, figure out puzzles, or design stuff.... some, even enjoy teaching:0

And ya it's too easy to define success as money and think it's about IQ. "Success," whether that be money, white collar job career success, is probably as much about people skills and in the US, what side of the track one is born on, as it is about raw IQ.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:58 am
Original Member
Original Member

chadthecat wrote:
right this may not be true for all people but,you know how all chess grandmasters are so good and can remember all there chess games peice for peice,can play blindfolded ect....well my theory is most of the chess grandmasters started playing at a young age,maby people with super high iq's start reading and learning at a young age out of interest and ends up later with the high iqs?

So you're suggesting early exposure and habituation lead to adult mastery? Sure, that's common knowledge.

But there are many kinds of intelligence, and limited infancy to prime a mind one way or another. Unless you were a headbanger I'm sure you absorbed something you can later call your element.

chadthecat
Post  Post subject: Re: i have a theory on high iq's  |  Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Dywyddyr wrote:
chadthecat wrote:
maby people with super high iq's start reading and learning at a young age out of interest and ends up later with the high iqs?

Or maybe people start reading/ learning at an early age because they have high IQs.

true....true....but it could also just be there personal interests to enjoy learning but yes