FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: how have the markets reacted  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:01 pm

that was the question asked by one of the BBC's interviewers, referring to the "news" that Trump had been sworn in today
am I missing something ? this was not something that came as a surprise, so why should the markets react in any way to something they must have seen coming from a mile away ?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: how have the markets reacted  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:08 pm

My local market closed at 5 p.m. as usual... (Sorry couldn't resist ;))

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: how have the markets reacted  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

then you'll have to visit your local Tesco Express, and see whether the price of eggs has gone up or down
that way you'll be able to reply knowledgeably to people that ask you "what's that got to do with the price of eggs"

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: how have the markets reacted  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm in the pub the price of beer is unchanged ;)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: how have the markets reacted  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's not quite noon yet for me even. I'm trying to stay off facebook at the moment. I got into a huge argument with an anti-vaxxer there yesterday and I expect there would be more people for me to argue with today.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: how have the markets reacted  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Markets went up after his election, but most forecasters are calling for this "bubble" to pop. The original thinking was that Trump is business minded and will be good for deregulation allowing business to make more money.

The challenge now is his approach likely leading to trade war. That's bad for everyone. Likewise, markets like stability and predictability. They're beginning to realize Trump offers the exact opposite.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan