FAQ
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:45 am

wireless
Post  Post subject: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Right about now Donald Trump has become leader of the " Free World " Donald Trump is the greatest American since John Wayne. In the past there has been talk of a " New World Order " well here it really is. There are interesting times ahead, for America and the rest of the world, remember this day, 20th January 2017. The Liberal Elite will be chocking back a few tears right now, but what the hell, they will just have to get used to it. One hopes that Donald Trump’s presidency, along with GOP control of both houses of Congress, and perhaps even a future Supreme Court majority leaning rightward will bring great benefits to all Americans. This is a great day for Democracy, this is true Democracy in action.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm

In my country, one of the headlines of a newspaper was about Trump's cabinet remarking that all of them were men, white and millionaires.

He doesn't have a good reputation...

humanium
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:16 pm

trump is going to be something else. :lol:
hopefully it will show whether or not we need a specific moral criteria for the president's seat.
personally i think that we can benefit from this if everyone works together.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I see wireless popped back in to be an arrogant troll, offering nothing but the usual "hur, dur, liberal tears taste sweet. I'm a fucktard" It's like he expects us all to be emotionally weak in the knees, and frothing at the mouth right now. While really I'm laughing at the very low turnout for his inauguration.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Obvious flame bait is best ignored...

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:54 pm

wireless wrote:
This is a great day for Democracy

sounds a bit premature to me - let's see how Trump's ratings look like a year from now
then we'll be able to state whether democracy really was the winner or not

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:21 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
In my country, one of the headlines of a newspaper was about Trump's cabinet remarking that all of them were men, white and millionaires.

He doesn't have a good reputation...

The full team has not yet been announced, but at the moment there are plenty of women in the team. Perhaps there are millionaires or even billionaires among them, that is just the way it is.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
I see wireless popped back in to be an arrogant troll, offering nothing but the usual "hur, dur, liberal tears taste sweet. I'm a fucktard" It's like he expects us all to be emotionally weak in the knees, and frothing at the mouth right now. While really I'm laughing at the very low turnout for his inauguration.

Your language is disgusting, wash your mouth out.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:24 pm

marnixR wrote:
democracy really was the winner or not

It wasn't a democracy vote, by the numbers or by badly antiquated design.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:29 pm

PhDemon wrote:

The 45th President of the United States Of America has just been sworn into office, and you accuse me of flaming, because I dared to mention this on this forum. Get a life and stop trying to shut people down.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:32 pm

I didn't accuse you of flaming, I accused you of posting flame bait. I.e. posting something you wanted to get a hostile response to. This is based on your use of language in the post. Be honest you were being a prick and trying to get a reaction from people, that is the only reason you worded your post the way you did. If this was not your intention you have serious communication problems.

Why are you trolling? What do you get out of it?

Last edited by PhDemon on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

Your language is disgusting, wash your mouth out.

Ah, is my course language offensive to your delicate sensibilities? I'm sorry you're so delicate that the use of a few harsh words causes you obvious discomfort. Must be difficult for you out in the adult world. You poor fragile thing.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Falconer, I have been threatened with a banning from this forum for using less offensive language than yours.
Donald Trump is now the 45th President of the USA, rejoice and get used to it. :D

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Why do you persist in being a total dick? What are you getting out of it? Does getting a reaction from "liberals" give you a hard-on?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Why do you persist in being a total dick? What are you getting out of it? Does getting a reaction from "liberals" give you a hard-on?

It's his shtick. He paints a picture of all liberals (or anyone that isn't super conservative really) as being a bunch of overly emotional delicate butterflies who don't see reality. That we're all a bunch of elitists disconnected to society or dreamers with our heads in the clouds, while ultra conservative wingnuts like him are the only ones grounded in reality. In essence he's a good summation of the entire group of Fox News internet commentors. He just wants to come here and gloat about Trump and try to whip us up into a lather.

Hell he probably wants us to ban him so he can go back to his conservative forum (he probably frequents at least one) and claim that the "big bad liberals" here are censoring free speech and can't handle the truth. Then the others there would have a good laugh about how we're delicate snowflakes and their confirmation bias about liberals would be confirmed. A couple years ago I followed a conservative troll from the .com site back to their conservative forum, and there was a thread dedicated to them trying to troll what they deemed liberal sites and how fast they could get banned. I wish I could remember what site that was.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I think you're right. I've called him on it before, he is not interested in rational discussion. He just posts crap to get a reaction. Quite sad really...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

It really is when you think about it. He doesn't want actual discussion about politics but only reaffirmation that his views are correct. I have no problem with Trump supporters or conservatives, if they actually want to have a discussion, but when they just want to troll and gloat I have no use for them.

I'm sure he views you and I as being completely in the same camp, when we probably have multiple places where our opinions differ, and we're capable of having an actual discussion when they do.

Lately I see a lot of people calling for us to be less divisive and come together, but that will never be possible with people like wireless who have no interest in opening a real discussion.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:20 am

Good luck, President Trump. I didn't vote for him but I hope he does well. I also hope Obama stays involved during retirement, like Carter and Clinton have. Though I imagine right now he wants nothing more than to sleep in on a Saturday. :lol:

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 am

Lynx_Fox wrote:
marnixR wrote:

Hillary Clinton may have won a majority of the popular vote ( especially in California ) but it is the Electoral College that counts, this is Democracy in America.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
Lynx_Fox wrote:
marnixR wrote:

Hillary Clinton may have won a majority of the popular vote ( especially in California ) but it is the Electoral College that counts, this is Democracy in America.

As pointed out, a poor and very antiquated design

g o r t
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 pm

wireless wrote:
Donald Trump is now the 45th President of the USA, rejoice and get used to it. :D

Rejoicing is for ones emotional and egotistic side.

Trump hates science and this is a science forum, get the point?

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 pm

This is the politics section of the Science Forum. Whatever Donald Trump thinks of science is irrelevant. What is very relevant is that Donald Trump is now the 45th President of America, get the point ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
This is the politics section of the Science Forum. Whatever Donald Trump thinks of science is irrelevant. What is very relevant is that Donald Trump is now the 45th President of America, get the point ?

Seeing as Trump's views towards science is part of his platform, and will affect how he governs, it is entirely relevant to this subforum and the forum as a whole. Comprende?

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Why do you call USA America...you do know that America is a continent that includes many countries...not just USA... It's annoying....

OldChemE
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:57 am

We call it America as a shortening of the Name: United States of America. There are other countries with long names that are referred to in shorter form-- just as citizens of other countries refer to us as Americans-- its easier than the long way. (Just as many once referred to citizens of the USSR as Soviets).

Just to clarify for others who commented about popular vote and Electoral College. It is not antiquated-- it has a purpose. First of all, The USA is not a Democracy, it is a Republic. The difference is that a Republic is a union of separated entities-- in our case States. The Electoral College was created to allow states to have some effect on the election. The States each get votes equal to their representation in Congress-- which means their vote totals are based on population + 2 (for their two Senators). The Constitution does not specify how states decide to use the votes-- every state has the right to allocate their votes based on popular vote if they so desire-- but most don't (2 or three states divide their electoral votes based on their popular vote). Most States use a "winner take all" system to maximize the effect of the majority of their voters on the outcome. This system was designed to allow states some degree of control, and it incidentally lessens the effect of huge population centers that might otherwise dominate. This is what happened in this election. Two huge population centers (New York and California) provided the extra 3 million votes that produced the popular vote for Hillary, and Hillary received 100% of the electoral votes from New York and California-- even though neither state voted 100% for Hillary. The question naturally arises, should two huge population centers dictate the results? I honestly don't know what wold be best in the long run, but that is what the Electoral College helps to prevent, and in this case did prevent.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:00 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
Why do you call USA America...you do know that America is a continent that includes many countries...not just USA... It's annoying....

You won't like this but most United States citizens (aka American's) see everything South as a sort of combination of bananaland under the exclusive protection and dominion of the US with a few communist statelets mixed in. Yes it's unfair and ignorant..

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:52 pm

OldChemE wrote:
It is not antiquated-- it has a purpose. .

why not mention all the old reasons that no longer apply? Such as to get buy-in from the non-slave states, and to mitigate the horribly slow communication system 250 years ago.

"lessens the effect of huge population centers that might otherwise dominate."
This is a red herring. What happens now is there's no contest nor any point of the minority party in most states to even bother voting-- how much would it matter for a R voter to cast a ballot in California, or my own state of WA? With a straight plurality vote, a voter regardless of party would be worth just as much in EVERY state.

The reality is most Americans no longer support the electoral college system, most of its core reasons no longer apply --and though I'm still obligated to support the Constitution as a retired US Army Officer, I have very serious reservations.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Lynx_Fox wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:

You won't like this but most United States citizens (aka American's) see everything South as a sort of combination of bananaland under the exclusive protection and dominion of the US with a few communist statelets mixed in. Yes it's unfair and ignorant..

Thank you for your honesty!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:

Wise words, though the rest of the discussion with others may be interesting so hopefully that continues.

Wireless might be able to make an intelligent point, but for now we simply haven't seen that.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:

you're not the only ones in that position : here in the UK we refer to the Netherlands as Holland, which strictly speaking only refers to the two provinces of South and North Holland, thereby greatly upsetting the other 13 provinces in the Netherlands

on the other hand, people in Belgium refer to the UK as England - I've received letters posted to me and addressed as "Cardiff, England", which greatly upsets the Welsh who would rather be referred to as scum than English

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:22 pm

marnixR wrote:
you're not the only ones in that position : here in the UK we refer to the Netherlands as Holland, which strictly speaking only refers to the two provinces of South and North Holland, thereby greatly upsetting the other 13 provinces in the Netherlands

The same happens in spanish. Holanda (Holland) and Paises Bajos (Netherlands). When I was younger I thought they were two completely different countries...

Quote:
on the other hand, people in Belgium refer to the UK as England - I've received letters posted to me and addressed as "Cardiff, England", which greatly upsets the Welsh who would rather be referred to as scum than English

Yep... the ssame in spanish.... :D

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:09 pm

iNow wrote:
PhDemon wrote:

Wise words, though the rest of the discussion with others may be interesting so hopefully that continues.

Wireless might be able to make an intelligent point, but for now we simply haven't seen that.

Until I started this thread, there had not been any traffic on the politics sub forum for over a week. Donald Trump`s inauguration, is most certainly, at the top of current affairs in America and most of the rest of world right now. I have however been pooh-poohed for my efforts, it is a cruel world.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yes, you poor poor martyr. Clearly the problem people have is with the topic and not your obvious obnoxious trollish flame bait tone. :roll:

Knock off the intentionally obtuse act.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:17 pm

^Like. Can anyone link to a post wireless has made that isn't designed to get a reaction from people he sees as his political opponents? I can't think of one. He's a troll :shrug:

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am

If they are a troll why then the feeding?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Back on topic, please

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

On topic:

The new administration did not retain any of the WH websites pages on LGBT rights or Climate change, rather letting them be totally moved to the Obamawhitehouse site.

And one of the first new pages added is one the plan to reinvest in Americas "oil and gas" reserves, something that is opposite of the direction needed to cut the dependence on fossil fuels and combat climate change. Not a good start to things.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:34 pm

I've just read that Trump named his inauguration day 'National Day of Patriotic Devotion'.... Interesting...

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:34 pm

you know, I'm reminded of what's said to be an ancient Chinese curse : may you live in interesting times ...

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:56 pm

I am so cursed... I consider myself living in very interesting times... there is a surprise every day...

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 am

I have just finished listening to Donald Trump's speech in Melbourne Florida, on Sky News. Sky News may not like Donald Trump, but his speech is a sign of our times. Donald Trump may just be the saviour of the Western World.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

Maybe

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 am
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
I have just finished listening to Donald Trump's speech in Melbourne Florida, on Sky News. Sky News may not like Donald Trump, but his speech is a sign of our times. Donald Trump may just be the saviour of the Western World.

Savior from what exactly?

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 pm

wireless wrote:
Donald Trump may just be the saviour of the Western World.

A surprising number of people thought that about Hitler.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:26 pm

it's funny really that certain people see a parallel of Trump with Hitler, whereas other see a parallel with Nixon
or he could be the new Reagan ?
unsettling though it may be, only time will tell, but I doubt whether Trump will be anything but the new Trump - he's too much in love with himself to emulate anyone else

I see the Russians are already unhappy that from one day to the next they don't know which Trump will get out of bed

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:03 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:

The Islamification of the Western World, which began quite a number of years ago. This process has accelerated because of Gulf War 2, the Arab Spring, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, Morocco. Uncontrolled immigration of Muslims into Europe and England, the USA and even Canada. We need leaders who can do something to stop this, if not massive conflict in our countries is just around the corner.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm

DrKrettin wrote:
wireless wrote:

Yes they did, however Hitler became involved in politics after serving in the first world and perhaps became Chancellor 15 years later. There is no equivalence between the 45th President and Hitler. You may want to stand down.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:

The Islamification of the Western World, which began quite a number of years ago. This process has accelerated because of Gulf War 2, the Arab Spring, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, Morocco. Uncontrolled immigration of Muslims into Europe and England, the USA and even Canada. We need leaders who can do something to stop this, if not massive conflict in our countries is just around the corner.

What exactly is "islamafication", is it related to racial bigotry that was used to invade sovereign nations in search of oil?

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: The 45th President.  |  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 am

wireless wrote:
DrKrettin wrote:
wireless wrote:

Yes they did, however Hitler became involved in politics after serving in the first world and perhaps became Chancellor 15 years later. There is no equivalence between the 45th President and Hitler. You may want to stand down.

It's not about how he got into power, it's his use of fear, prejudice, scapegoating, fact-free emotional arguments, demagoguery, appeals to deep-seated religious biases and wild gesticulations to play and excite crowds.