FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 am

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: A good example of why psuedoscience is so dangerous...  |  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:11 pm

... to health and your wallet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38650739

This guy is a menace. A total quack making money from bullshit. He should be strung up!

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A good example of why psuedoscience is so dangerous...  |  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:00 pm

the most frightening sentence in that article is the following :

"As her medical options were limited, Naima did what many of us would do - she turned to the internet for a solution."

I suppose it's hard to put yourself in the mindset of someone with a life-threatening illness, but I just can't see myself ever consulting the internet as the final arbiter on what is essentially a life or death situation

mind you I wouldn't like to be in her family's shoes: even if you think it's all rubbish, failing to give financial assistance might come across as being tight

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: A good example of why psuedoscience is so dangerous...  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

"What's the harm in letting believe stupid things? Just let the alternative 'medicine' people do their own thing. It's not harming anyone." This is the problem with allowing people to believe stupid ideas. Desperate people find these alternative medicine wackos and shell out cash that they can't necessarily afford for absolute horseshit. I hope this bastard gets some nice long prison time.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A good example of why psuedoscience is so dangerous...  |  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 am

I actually watched the Horizon programme on BBC iPlayer yesterday

the weasel words of the guy behind the alkaline clinic are unbelievable : on the one hand he describes his clinic as being able to help people with cancer, on the other hand he denies doing this (after all, he's not allowed to practise medicine) and says that it was his patients own decision to come to his place in order to feel better

and when challenged about the efficacy of his treatment, he claims it needs more investigation
so here he is, making all these outlandish claims, and fleecing all these people with his "treatment", but in the same breath he claims that more work is needed to validate that his treatment actually works!

in standard medicine you just can't get away with this type of thing : if a treatment is not yet approved, then the only way you can get a patient to agree to it is if you make it plain and clear that this is an experimental treatment, and that the patient will be part of an experimental group - and even then this type of treatment would only be given the go ahead if all other options had failed