FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 pm


Author Message
LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 104

Offline
The last man to set foot on the moon (for now), Eugene Cernan has died at 82. :cry:

Thoughts?


Top
RickArcher
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm
Posts: 20

Offline
How about your thoughts ;)

I really am glad I lived in that time of the moon landings. I can't think of anything that can top that for literally mind blowing excitement and over powering wonder. To be born after the moon landings I don't think you could imagine what the feeling of mystery of space and other planets was like. There are still plenty of unknowns, but that was a special unknown, an 'out of this world' unknown, something we had grown up seeing in the night sky all our lives and wondered what it was like. I think the only thing that could top that now would be contacting alien life. I mean, not even landing on Mars would have the same staggering profound excitement as that first landing on another heavenly body. I'm not saying a manned landing on Mars would not have me rivetted to the TV, but it would not be as much of an unknown as the moon was.

The first and the last have gone now. There are just six left of the twelve men who walked on the moon.

I watched a video of Gene Cernan today and was amazed that it made him believe more strongly in God. He said words to the effect that the Earth was so beautifull that it could not have been created by chance. I have never understood that reasoning.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5496
Location: Austin, Texas

Offline
It's sad how far back we've scaled our investments in science and tech. Instead we spend billions of dollars on campaigns and kickbacks to cronies. My thoughts are I'm disgusted.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4752
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
one more thought : of the 13 moon walkers (including Michael Jackson), only 6 are still alive
probably not long before no living person will ever has set foot on a planet or moon other than the earth

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:41 am

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:17 am
Posts: 198
Location: US Pacific NorthWest

Offline
iNow wrote:
It's sad how far back we've scaled our investments in science and tech. Instead we spend billions of dollars on campaigns and kickbacks to cronies. My thoughts are I'm disgusted.


Agreed.


Top
LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 am

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 104

Offline
RickArcher wrote:
How about your thoughts ;)

I really am glad I lived in that time of the moon landings. I can't think of anything that can top that for literally mind blowing excitement and over powering wonder. To be born after the moon landings I don't think you could imagine what the feeling of mystery of space and other planets was like. There are still plenty of unknowns, but that was a special unknown, an 'out of this world' unknown, something we had grown up seeing in the night sky all our lives and wondered what it was like. I think the only thing that could top that now would be contacting alien life. I mean, not even landing on Mars would have the same staggering profound excitement as that first landing on another heavenly body. I'm not saying a manned landing on Mars would not have me rivetted to the TV, but it would not be as much of an unknown as the moon was.

The first and the last have gone now. There are just six left of the twelve men who walked on the moon.

I watched a video of Gene Cernan today and was amazed that it made him believe more strongly in God. He said words to the effect that the Earth was so beautifull that it could not have been created by chance. I have never understood that reasoning.


I wasn't around then. I was born in 1997. But I have been to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida twice and hope there will be many more missions to the moon in the future as well as missions to Mars. And unlike before when nationalist rivalries that fueled the space race it will be countries working together. Great things are ahead. And well, I believe in God as well but I know most people here don't so I'll say no more. I'm very private with my faith anyway.


Top
LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:31 am

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 104

Offline
Delete my profile please. I didn't ask for this.


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 am

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 459
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
Didn't ask for what? What is your problem? As far as I can see you have been welcomed and addressed politely.

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 am
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Bs As, Argentina

Offline
? what's just happened?


Top
LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 am

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 104

Offline
I don't want my personal sites linked to.


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 459
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
Who is linking to your personal sites? The only personal information on the forum is what YOU have chosen to share. No one is invading your privacy...

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 104

Offline
Those green hyperlinks. Am I the only person who sees them?


Top
PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 459
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Offline
I don't see them...

_________________
"The big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart"

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan


Top
M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:46 pm
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Bs As, Argentina

Offline
LilSaber wrote:
Those green hyperlinks. Am I the only person who sees them?

yes.


Top
LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
Posts: 104

Offline
Sorry. :(


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4752
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
M_Gabriela wrote:
LilSaber wrote:
Those green hyperlinks. Am I the only person who sees them?

yes.


same here

Lil, you are very welcome here, and no-one's out to get you, even if we don't all have the same political / religious points of view
wouldn't life (and forums) be boring if everybody always agreed with everybody else ?

tbh I'm just as puzzled as everybody else as to what has upset you

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 962
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
LilSaber wrote:
Those green hyperlinks. Am I the only person who sees them?

Maybe you've picked up some sort of browser add-on? That's all I can think of. I've never seen green hyperlinks here.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4752
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
oh, hang on - if you're not logged on, then there are some words that are turned into ad links, aren't there ?
it's so long ago that I've ever logged off that I have trouble remembering

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:42 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5496
Location: Austin, Texas

Offline
Correct. They're part of adwords. Just ignore the green links. I don't see them when logged in, so try that instead of viewing logged out as a guest.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   
cron

Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy