FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 pm

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:39 pm

The last man to set foot on the moon (for now), Eugene Cernan has died at 82. :cry:

Thoughts?

RickArcher
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:10 pm

How about your thoughts ;)

I really am glad I lived in that time of the moon landings. I can't think of anything that can top that for literally mind blowing excitement and over powering wonder. To be born after the moon landings I don't think you could imagine what the feeling of mystery of space and other planets was like. There are still plenty of unknowns, but that was a special unknown, an 'out of this world' unknown, something we had grown up seeing in the night sky all our lives and wondered what it was like. I think the only thing that could top that now would be contacting alien life. I mean, not even landing on Mars would have the same staggering profound excitement as that first landing on another heavenly body. I'm not saying a manned landing on Mars would not have me rivetted to the TV, but it would not be as much of an unknown as the moon was.

The first and the last have gone now. There are just six left of the twelve men who walked on the moon.

I watched a video of Gene Cernan today and was amazed that it made him believe more strongly in God. He said words to the effect that the Earth was so beautifull that it could not have been created by chance. I have never understood that reasoning.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's sad how far back we've scaled our investments in science and tech. Instead we spend billions of dollars on campaigns and kickbacks to cronies. My thoughts are I'm disgusted.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

one more thought : of the 13 moon walkers (including Michael Jackson), only 6 are still alive
probably not long before no living person will ever has set foot on a planet or moon other than the earth

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:41 am

iNow wrote:
It's sad how far back we've scaled our investments in science and tech. Instead we spend billions of dollars on campaigns and kickbacks to cronies. My thoughts are I'm disgusted.

Agreed.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 am

RickArcher wrote:
How about your thoughts ;)

I really am glad I lived in that time of the moon landings. I can't think of anything that can top that for literally mind blowing excitement and over powering wonder. To be born after the moon landings I don't think you could imagine what the feeling of mystery of space and other planets was like. There are still plenty of unknowns, but that was a special unknown, an 'out of this world' unknown, something we had grown up seeing in the night sky all our lives and wondered what it was like. I think the only thing that could top that now would be contacting alien life. I mean, not even landing on Mars would have the same staggering profound excitement as that first landing on another heavenly body. I'm not saying a manned landing on Mars would not have me rivetted to the TV, but it would not be as much of an unknown as the moon was.

The first and the last have gone now. There are just six left of the twelve men who walked on the moon.

I watched a video of Gene Cernan today and was amazed that it made him believe more strongly in God. He said words to the effect that the Earth was so beautifull that it could not have been created by chance. I have never understood that reasoning.

I wasn't around then. I was born in 1997. But I have been to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida twice and hope there will be many more missions to the moon in the future as well as missions to Mars. And unlike before when nationalist rivalries that fueled the space race it will be countries working together. Great things are ahead. And well, I believe in God as well but I know most people here don't so I'll say no more. I'm very private with my faith anyway.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:31 am

Delete my profile please. I didn't ask for this.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 am

Didn't ask for what? What is your problem? As far as I can see you have been welcomed and addressed politely.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 am

? what's just happened?

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 am

I don't want my personal sites linked to.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

Who is linking to your personal sites? The only personal information on the forum is what YOU have chosen to share. No one is invading your privacy...

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Those green hyperlinks. Am I the only person who sees them?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:30 pm

I don't see them...

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:46 pm

LilSaber wrote:

yes.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry. :(

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
LilSaber wrote:

yes.

same here

Lil, you are very welcome here, and no-one's out to get you, even if we don't all have the same political / religious points of view
wouldn't life (and forums) be boring if everybody always agreed with everybody else ?

tbh I'm just as puzzled as everybody else as to what has upset you

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:

Maybe you've picked up some sort of browser add-on? That's all I can think of. I've never seen green hyperlinks here.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 pm

oh, hang on - if you're not logged on, then there are some words that are turned into ad links, aren't there ?
it's so long ago that I've ever logged off that I have trouble remembering

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Last man on the moon  |  Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Correct. They're part of adwords. Just ignore the green links. I don't see them when logged in, so try that instead of viewing logged out as a guest.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan