FAQ
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Judith
Post  Post subject: artifical gravitational singularity generators?  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm

I am reading the Star Carrier books by Ian Douglas. He has some interesting ways of flying his starships, except I need help understanding one of them. I know that Science Fiction is 'magic' , but ...quote from book ...

"gravitic drive ships moved by projecting an artificial gravitational singularity ahead of their bows, creating an intense and tightly focused black hole that flickered on and off thousands of times by second, allowing the ship to fall forward into a gravity well. A fighter getting too close to the singularity would be drawn in ... "

How, theoretically, would one create this black hole ahead of the ship -- without the ship being immediately being part of the black hole? Sorry, I am not even sure how to ask this question.

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: artifical gravitational singularity generators?  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 am

Well, I guess if you had a powerful enough Alcubierre warp drive you could make a BH in front of you. Making the drive in the first place is the hard bit though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: artifical gravitational singularity generators?  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

Judith wrote:
How, theoretically, would one create this black hole ahead of the ship -- without the ship being immediately being part of the black hole?

If it isn't connected to the ship, then it's just a matter of distance. Like, right now there are black holes tugging Starship Earth, not too much because of their distance. I love the idea of black hole flickering to vary intensity. Douglas said the hole is a projection from the ship... :? if only he'd said "created".

How you'd control it during flight I can't imagine. But perhaps a "pre-programmed" black hole could be engineered. It could self-destruct after a predictable time, and maybe even turn corners like a curve-ball.