FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:06 am

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Hello, I'm a student for whom science has mainly been a hobby up until now. I have been considering pursuing a science major but to be honest I'm not sure it's for me. I'm also very intimidated by the male-dominated atmosphere. I don't mean to be offensive but that's honestly how I feel. Well I'm quite young so I have time to figure it out. I'm 19 currently. (: I hope I'll be welcome here.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Hello. Welcome!
Experience gives you confidence. You need time... you are very young.
Good luck

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Welcome to the forum!
You're still young, so you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. I suggest seeking out people in whatever scientific fields you're interested in and ask if you can do job shadows. It's a good way to see the daily workings of many fields. I had a student do a job shadow with me last summer, she was interested in paleontology.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello to both of you and that's really cool you got a paleontology student. I like many disciplines. I'd like to do something that makes life better for people. Ugh, I don't know. It's hard to figure it all out.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well don't stress about it too much. You'er only 19, a lot of people double your age don't even know what they want to do. The one paleo-entomologist (fossil bug expert) I work with, didn't even decide to go into science until he was in his late thirties. So believe me when I say you have time. The best thing I can suggest is to research and try different things and figure out the ones you don't want to do.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 am
Original Member
Original Member

Welcome to the community! Look forward to your contributions.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Sadly I don't think this community is for me. I'm still too young and inexperienced.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm

LilSaber wrote:
Sadly I don't think this community is for me. I'm still too young and inexperienced.

to use some plain english in response to your comments : absolute bollocks ! on this forum someone's age and experience is totally irrelevant

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think I was about 19 when I joined the community here. Might have been close to 20? It's been so long now. Point is, that experience and age are irrelevant, all that matters is that you wish to discuss things here. It doesn't matter if these things are mundane like if you enjoy decaf coffee, scientific like global climate change, or even if it's entertainment like what books you enjoy. Some of the people on the forum can be intimidating at first (because they're older, possess PhDs, or very knowledgeable), but they're here with the same goal of learning and discussing.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 pm

See you, at least I tried. :(

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:05 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry to see you go. I was following your threads. They had good potential for discussion.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Mostly the same person telling me I was wrong again and again, ignoring they have a few decades on me. Give me time to catch up.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:45 pm

see it as a learning exercise - if someone challenges you to back up your assertions, don't throw in the towel, but do your research and bring some facts to the table that back up your point of view

in the end number of years doesn't really matter as much as the validity of your arguments

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
in the end number of years doesn't really matter as much as the validity of your arguments

^ This sentence is absolutely true in real life and on this forum. Some of the most misguided and plain wrong people I've ever conversed with were a few decades older than me. Age is not a good measure of determining if someone has a valid point.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:20 pm

I tried but I'm not that smart.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

You're apparently lacking in self-confidence and willing to sabotage your self-image, too

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 am

That's also true. I have very low self esteem and little confidence.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

Have you tried exercise and perhaps therapy? Explored a new hobby or spent time distracting yourself with a book from the library?

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm

I do see a therapist but it's only once a week and my schedule has been busy so I've missed a lot lately. I always cry a lot because it's the one place I can really let all this out and not be judged.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well, you acknowledge that you need help. That's good. I've given you other ideas to help. You have to be willing to help yourself before others can help you, too.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I have to do this alone though.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You are definitely responsible for your own well-being, but it's wrong to conclude that you are alone in that.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 pm

I only see my therapist once a week. The rest of the week I'm on my own. My parents don't live near me.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm not good at subject lines.  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 am

I'm not really friends with anyone, for obvious reasons.