FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:21 am

One beer
Post  Post subject: Bending a plated tube ?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Hello metallurgists, Happy New Year !

I have a question for you.

I recently had a table lamp nickel plated. The lamp is made of brass tube etc, and Mrs One beer thought it would look more modern in silver colour. So I took it to pieces and had it all nickel plated.

It was only after I had had it plated and I reassembled it that I noticed one of the brass tubes supporting a lamp was bent out of line with the others. Obviously had I noticed this before, it would have been simple to bend the tube before getting it plated.

Question; Now that all the parts have been plated, if I bend the tube to align with the others, will the nickel plating flake off or crease or tear?

Obviously, I am not going to experiment unless I am reasonably sure that no damage will occur !

BTW it was a real headache to find a decent plater and so it will be a major pain to get just the one tube replated.

Any thoughts or suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

OB

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Bending a plated tube ?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm

how was the plating performed ? was it electroplating (in which case the bond between the substrate and the coating won't be that good) or chemical plating (better bond) or hot dip plating (in which there's probably an intermetallic bonding layer which should be able to withstand even severe bending)

also, how easily is the coating scuffed ? if it is, then make sure that the contact with the bending apparatus is not hard metal but something like teflon

you could also approach the person who performed the original plating and ask him how well it should stand up to deformation

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Bending a plated tube ?  |  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Sorry, rude of me not to reply.

Thank you for the suggestions, some of which I had already planned to do when I get round to it. I will probably just bend the tube by hand, it is brass tube about 8mm thick.

OB