FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:17 pm

MODNOTE: This and several of the posts below were split from the Percent with ASD who are Atheist thread here: topic2244.html

I'm willing to bet this woman is neurotypical:

http://americangg.net/girl-ruins-marriage/

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Percent of ASD people who are atheists.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I'm willing to bet this woman is neurotypical:

http://americangg.net/girl-ruins-marriage/

I'm willing to bet the show is fake and scripted like all reality TV. Just has a too fake of a feel to it.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Percent of ASD people who are atheists.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:27 am

Anecdote: yesterday I was approached by a man as I waited for the bus. He has approached me on a previous occasion, when I did that awkward which-way-are-you-going-dance in the supermarket aisle. The first time I met him I was impatient; he came over to move outside the shop and said, "Hello... I saw you before". He has a learning difficulty of some kind but, to be honest, I felt threatened by how close he was standing to me, and the fact that he sprung up unexpectedly, apparently from nowhere. The second time, I figure, I owe the guy some friendliness. He reveals he found God after surviving a pulmonary embolism. I asked him how he found God and his answer, literally, was "because I lived, I didn't die". He was way too sweet to upset by mentioning the causality of the medical profession and random chance, so I just smiled.

Apparently, what mentalising gets you is, a (positive) paranoia that an external agent cares. Perhaps mentalising is for those who can't handle the truth.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Percent of ASD people who are atheists.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Apparently, what mentalising gets you is, a (positive) paranoia that an external agent cares. Perhaps mentalising is for those who can't handle the truth.

This isn't terribly fair, and at the very least isn't representative. Barring severe mental handicaps and disabilities, we ALL mentalize. We mentally rehearse interactions before they occur... we practice for job interviews, asking someone out, how we'll react and respond if the teacher calls on us, what we'll say to the lady at the register as we proceed through the line at the market. We've collectively been doing it for as long as human history is known. We rehearse interactions with unseen others. We use the safe space of our imaginations to prepare for the potentially unsafe battles we all face later in life. It's not just people who "can't handle the truth" or who are "paranoid."

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Percent of ASD people who are atheists.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:02 pm

How can it be regarded as pathological to not make assumptions about the thoughts and feelings of others?

Look at where neurotypical assumption gets you:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Percent of ASD people who are atheists.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Your image conveys a message that is likely clear to you, but not to your reader. It could mean anything, really, and depends on the person looking.

Please use text to explain what YOU mean and why you posted it. Clearly, you're trying to say something, but it's unclear what that is.

If, however, you wish to rant about neurotypicals, please do so elsewhere. That's not what this thread is about, as evidenced by the OP, and we should work not to further derail it with ambiguous images or off-topic posts.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Percent of ASD people who are atheists.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Should I (attempt to) draw it out, like Socrates?

What do you observe in the image?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It appears the woman is disappointed that her boyfriend brought her to a vegan restaurant when she was clearly craving halal

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 pm

To me is iNow trying to explain Rory how to post correctly. :lol:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm

At root of many conflicts is/are one or more assumptions about what/how the other person thinks/feels. Autists don't make the mistake of assuming thoughts or feelings.

iNow's constantly trying to train me to obedience, Gabriela :)

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:06 pm

:lol: :lol:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One need not obey in order to be coherent and correct. The latter two will generally suffice.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Still telling me how to behave ;)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Rory's Ruminations on Neurotypicals  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Thread closed