FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

M_Gabriela wrote:
But this guy needs to see a person with whom he can speak...

I'm assuming you mean user me34? Yes he does need to go to therapy and it sounds like he plans on going.

I was just saying that although I have been living with depression for ten years, that I don't go to therapy and that it would have been useful for me in the early years of my depression, but now I've got a handle on it.

@Demon - I used to drink to deal with my depression. Back when I was 18, I spent a good six months or so drinking a fifth of rum every other day. Anymore I just try and stay busy and make sure I'm around people. If I'm around people I feel the need to keep my public persona up and that keeps me from having too much time to dwell and despair.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I was being a bit facetious ;) I don't manage my depression by drinking but a night in the pub with boys does wonders... The booze is secondary. I agree keeping busy is important, my depression is worse when I'm bored or at a loose end so I make sure I always have plenty of projects on the go to keep me busy.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Falconer, yes I was talking about me34.

I did therapy twice in my life and it helped me understand a lot about myself. When I was younger and I didn't understand why my personality was the way it was I felt very anguished and sad... But going to therapy helped me in that sense and to accept me as I was and if someone doesn't like it can go to hell... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:34 pm

True, realising that everyone is different and not everyone will like you is an important part of growing up ;) Some people just piss you off without trying (with the corollary there are people you will piss off by just being yourself). It's nothing to get uptight about, it's just human nature... Being able to work with people you don't like is an important skill (I've had to do in every job I've ever had, and I'm sure I'm that guy for others :lol:)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Patience is a virtue. So is tolerance...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Demon - I knew you weren't a raging alcoholic, I just figured I would share that I once tried that approach in earnest. And being able to work with people you don't like is definitely important.

I learned to cope with my depression due to my job requiring me to work heavily with the public, and having to constantly display a calm, happy, confidant persona. By learning to fake it so well, I started to actually gain some of my self esteem and self confidence back.

My real problem anymore is the anhedonia from the depression. Thankfully it's not quite constant, just very prolonged.

I see a lot of older people bitching about how everyone these days seems to suffer from something mental and how back in their day less people suffered from mental issues. Makes me just want to slap them. It's not that these disorders and illnesses didn't exist, it's just that many weren't understood, named, or as easily detected as they are now. Glad to hear that both of you (Gabby and Demon) have found ways to deal with things. :)

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Does an Infinite Universe imply a type of reincarnation  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

@me34:

Personally I feel consciousness is overrated. People throw the word around, each meaning something different; sometimes I feel they don't know what they mean. I think it's a secular word for "soul" that is now supposed to lurk somewhere within the brain. My guess is it's a necessary fiction, that we use to differentiate ourselves from the "other", and we use socially to maintain distinctions between others.

Inow suggested what is "you" might not be so clear-cut. You interconnect with a changing world and you yourself are changing all the time. If "you can't step into the same river twice" it's not only because the river is a different river, also because you who takes the next step is not the same you who took the first. Entertain the idea, but I don't expect you to embrace it.

Because for some reason you've got a deathgrip on the notion some part of you is inviolate. This unique "you" can't change because it's detached from the world. Logically, the destruction of the universe doesn't affect it. Seems like an inert burden to me, yet you cherish it.

So at least one guy-on-the-internet thinks you're remarkably attached to your individuality. Ask yourself if it's true, and if so why. Good luck. :)