FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:28 am

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Here is a link to a YouTube page I found for beginner programmers:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbPGzawDH1njbqV-D5HqKw

Please post other good programming resources you know of here too if you would like. (such as books, websites, or YouTube pages)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Here is a good resource for learning the C++ language:

http://www.learncpp.com/

C++ is a good beginner language but I think it gets a lot more complex as you dig deeper into it.

Last edited by mmatt9876 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Khan Academy is a great resource for learning a variety of things such as math and science. Khan Academy also has computer programming tutorials:

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 am

I would recommend learning Java or Python as a first computer language because both languages are high level languages and are also object oriented languages, which I think are the easiest types of computer languages to learn.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 pm

MODNOTE: This and several of the posts that follow were split off from a different thread and moved here

Can anybody recommend any good C# programming books? I am looking for something tailored towards beginner programmers that covers at least the basics.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

mmatt9876 wrote:
Can anybody recommend any good C# programming books? I am looking for something tailored towards beginner programmers that covers at least the basics.

I've always found the Wrox series of books a great help - depending on what aspect of C# programming you're after, there should be something to fit your needs

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 pm

marnixR wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

I've always found the Wrox series of books a great help - depending on what aspect of C# programming you're after, there should be something to fit your needs

Thanks for the book series suggestion!

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Some good computer languages for beginner programmers to check out are C , C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby, JavaScript, and Swift.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 pm

I have been checking out a game creation tool called RPG Maker MV lately. I like it but I would rather build a game from the ground up and develop skills in the process to create other games.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I have been checking out a game creation tool called RPG Maker MV lately. I like it but I would rather build a game from the ground up and develop skills in the process to create other games.

I still haven't gotten around to purchasing that. I intended to for the ability to easily export games to Android, but my real job and life got in the way. How does it compare to previous incarnations of RPG Maker? I started with RPG Maker XP years ago.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

I still haven't gotten around to purchasing that. I intended to for the ability to easily export games to Android, but my real job and life got in the way. How does it compare to previous incarnations of RPG Maker? I started with RPG Maker XP years ago.

Here is the rundown of the tool:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv

I think MV improves on a lot of thing when compared to previous versions of RPG Maker. MV also uses JavaScript.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
Here is the rundown of the tool:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv

I think MV improves on a lot of thing when compared to previous versions of RPG Maker. MV also uses JavaScript.

Glad to hear that it is an overall improvement over previous versions. I'll have to pick up a copy and play around with it.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
Glad to hear that it is an overall improvement over previous versions. I'll have to pick up a copy and play around with it.

RPG Maker Mv is cool. If you learn how to use JavaScript and how to add or write plugins you can do a lot. You can try out the free trial to see if you like it. Other tools for making games are Game Maker, C# with Unity, and C++ with DirectX.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
RPG Maker Mv is cool. If you learn how to use JavaScript and how to add or write plugins you can do a lot. You can try out the free trial to see if you like it. Other tools for making games are Game Maker, C# with Unity, and C++ with DirectX.

Might have to check those out. I hate not having the free time that I used to, it really hampers my ability to play around with making games. I'm alright with JavaScript but I'd probably be super rusty right now. It's been so long since I've played around with it.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 am

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Might have to check those out. I hate not having the free time that I used to, it really hampers my ability to play around with making games. I'm alright with JavaScript but I'd probably be super rusty right now. It's been so long since I've played around with it.

RPG Maker with JavaScript and Game Maker with GML are probably the two easiest ways of the four options for making a game to go. They also both have online communities where you can ask questions. C# with Unity and C++ with DirectX are still great options to consider though. I forgot to mention C++ with SFML which is another good option for creating a game.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 pm

I have learned two good programming languages for beginners, C and Python, may give you a better idea of what you can accomplish as a programmer when compared to object-oriented programming with Java, C#, or C++ because of how the language styles of C and Python compare to object-oriented programming styles with Java, C#, and C++.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Good to know. I think I started to learn Python at one point, but life got in the way.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
Good to know. I think I started to learn Python at one point, but life got in the way.

Python is a high level language, which means it is catered towards the programmer in terms of code difficulty, which makes it a good beginner language. Low level languages are catered towards the machine and are more difficult for humans to understand but they are often more powerful int terms of what you can code.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Good Resources For Beginner Programmers  |  Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:28 pm

JavaScript is another useful and interesting language that is high level in nature. JavaScript is a programming language that is run by most modern browsers. JavaScript is most commonly used as a client side scripting language but it can also be used for server side programs and mobile applications. JavaScript supports object oriented programming and procedural programming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript#Server-side_JavaScript