FAQ
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:14 am

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:20 am

Sorry, I couldn't find a better spot to post but.. here goes.
I have a vaping device that runs on variable wattage controlled by a chip, protection circuits, and led display.
Aside from that it is basically 2 wires and 2 batteries in series.

SO here is the question, if i remove the batteries, can I run fresh tap water through the unit, shake out the excess and let it stand to air dry. The wires inside are either copper or silver or brass connection plates (to connect the batteries in series).

As long as there was no current running through the unit while being washed or dried, should I be fine to clean it like this. I can't actually get it apart, the screws are under 2 side plates that are glued in place.

I think some of the e-liquid leaked into the power button and may have gotten underneath. It is pretty much the same as the button switches on most standard computer mice or keyboard buttons.

The reason I am asking, is I have a unit that stopped working. Wouldn't fire etc, and I have a new one. I thought to use the old on as an ohm reader, since it is accurate to 0.01 ohm vs 0.04 on my ohm reader. I gave it a test fire and it actually worked again, but I wouldn't consider it reliable, so was wondering about cleaning it.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind, I won't be using it until it is totally dry. I figure a couple weeks should do it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Electronics don't tend to play well with water, regardless of whether or not they have current flowing at the time.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:14 pm

Maybe purchase a can of circuit board cleaner.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic-ci ... n/p/NA1008

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:56 am

Chrispen Evan wrote:
Maybe purchase a can of circuit board cleaner.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic-ci ... n/p/NA1008

That would normally be ideal. Except in this case, there is no way to get the device open, short of applying heat high enough to melt the glue, which would also more likely destroy any circuits.
I'm not worried if the unit works again or not, since technically it isn't working right now.

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 am

Well, I decided to say what the heck, it wasn't working right anyway. So I ran luke warm water through the unit, drained it, shook out the excess, and let it dry completely. Seems to work now. Now this isn't something I would recommend if any other option other than replacement were available.
Thanks for the replies. If I can find better information to add, such as from the IC manufacturer, I'll add it.
2 important things I did here.. remove the batteries. Water will cause a short and dry the unit completely.. again, water will cause a short. I'll most likely end up giving the unit away to someone that needs one. I have a new one. I figured if I could get it working again, giving it away beats throwing it out. :)

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:15 am

gbalkam wrote:
Well, I decided to say what the heck, it wasn't working right anyway. So I ran luke warm water through the unit, drained it, shook out the excess, and let it dry completely. Seems to work now. Now this isn't something I would recommend if any other option other than replacement were available.
Thanks for the replies. If I can find better information to add, such as from the IC manufacturer, I'll add it.
2 important things I did here.. remove the batteries. Water will cause a short and dry the unit completely.. again, water will cause a short. I'll most likely end up giving the unit away to someone that needs one. I have a new one. I figured if I could get it working again, giving it away beats throwing it out. :)

Well the device is working a bit better. To be honest, I would really have to get inside the unit to fully clean it properly. I will probably end up having to drill holes in the side covering plates, which are covering the screws. Of course, I could probably just drill over the screws until I could get at them. lol.

Thanks for the help and input.

UncleAcus
Post  Post subject: Re: Water and IC boards?  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:22 am

If you put this much consideration into thinking about whether or not vaping is a good or bad idea, you probably wouldn't even be using the device in the first place.