FAQ
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 9:51 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

From the CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/prehistoric-bird-arctic-rochester-1.3905321.

Excerpt:
Quote:
The prehistoric volcanoes would likely have pumped a significant amount of carbon dioxide into Earth's atmosphere, creating a greenhouse effect in the region. The resultant warming allowed the creatures to flourish.

Is it possible for only a region to be affected by the Greenhouse Effect? If so then how & why?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Carbon dioxide has a long enough lifetime to be well-mixed in the atmosphere, any local effects would be (very) short lived and limited by the mixing time which in the troposphere is quite short.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:56 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Carbon dioxide has a long enough lifetime to be well-mixed in the atmosphere, any local effects would be (very) short lived and limited by the mixing time which in the troposphere is quite short.

Why would a scientific article contain such information? It kind of puts doubt into my head as to the report. I guess it's possible that the reporter got things wrong. When scientists talk to the media do they proofread what the reporter has written.....I mean you could go from imminent hero to a friggin' goat based on the words of someone who has no idea what you're talking about or possesses no scientific wherewithal. No wonder it's a tight knit community....you guys burn easily. ;)

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm

My guess is that it is the journalist's error... To answer your second question the scientist has no control and no editorial say in what the journalist writes... That's why most science journalism is crap ;) People whose opinion matters will read the original article, scientists (rightly or wrongly) aren't bothered what the popular press say unless it's slanderous.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Out of curiosity, how far would the Arctic region have drifted over 93 million years? I got the feeling the reporter just assumed the weather was once accommodating in the Arctic but that the region had always been where it is now. I think CBC picked the wrong person to relate this bird finding.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Not sure off the top of my head, Lynx Fox might be better bet for an answer...

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Out of curiosity, how far would the Arctic region have drifted over 93 million years? I got the feeling the reporter just assumed the weather was once accommodating in the Arctic but that the region had always been where it is now. I think CBC picked the wrong person to relate this bird finding.

93 million years ago Australia/India/Antarctica were placed slightly differently then they are now, with Australia and India just starting to separate from Antarctica, and the oceans flowing much differently from today

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:19 pm

the Cretaceous was a period of very active sea floor spreading, which means taller mid-ocean ridges, which in turn push sea levels up and flood continental margins - a more marine climate tends to be more equal in heat distribution, meaning higher polar temperatures

it's also true that there was more volcanism and higher CO2 levels in the Cretaceous, which is another factor towards a warmer world

an additional factor was that the continents were differently distributed (although it is true that the region in question would still have been close to the North Pole), in that the poles were not thermally isolated as they are now (restricted flow in and out of the Arctic Ocean, and circumpolar currents round the Antarctic) + the Tethys ocean was still not closed, allowing an unrestricted equatorial glow through it

all these factors (together with the raised CO2 levels) made for a climate that was tolerable for alligators to thrive close to the north pole as late as the Eocene

the only thing I have a bone to pick with is that a bird and its food should be indicative of a warmer world - since when were birds and fish a sign of a warm climate ? champsosaurs yes, but birds ?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Prehistoric Arctic Bird Environment  |  Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:50 pm

a good example of what I was trying to say :

Dinosaurs from the North Pole: Live at Prince Creek