FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 pm

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 pm

MODNOTE: This post and several that follow were originally shared via the Off-Topic thread and have been split into their own thread here

I finally got my new laptop a few days ago! I purchased it through Costco and it shipped all the way over from China. I saved $400 but it took 15 business days to be delivered.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I finally got my new laptop a few days ago! I purchased it through Costco and it shipped all the way over from China. I saved $400 but it took 15 business days to be delivered.

Maybe it's because you're on the East Coast (or maybe it had to do with Costco) but I've ordered many electronic components (mainly stuff for repairing game consoles and cell phones) from China and I've always had very short delivery times, less than a business week typically. Maybe it's because my stuff generally comes from Guangzhau, and passes through Hong Kong? The estimated delivery time is always 15-20 days, even though it shows up in 4-5 normally.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:33 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Maybe it's because you're on the East Coast (or maybe it had to do with Costco) but I've ordered many electronic components (mainly stuff for repairing game consoles and cell phones) from China and I've always had very short delivery times, less than a business week typically. Maybe it's because my stuff generally comes from Guangzhau, and passes through Hong Kong? The estimated delivery time is always 15-20 days, even though it shows up in 4-5 normally.

I do not think the wait had anything to do with me being on the east coast because a day or two before I received my laptop my computer had shipped over from the west coast to Memphis TN and then I received it the next day or so. My package spent a lot of time in China however but it may have been due to inclement weather over the Pacific. Thankfully I was able to track the package online so that is how I knew where it was.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:02 am
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

I do not think the wait had anything to do with me being on the east coast because a day or two before I received my laptop my computer had shipped over from the west coast to Memphis TN and then I received it the next day or so. My package spent a lot of time in China however but it may have been due to inclement weather over the Pacific. Thankfully I was able to track the package online so that is how I knew where it was.

Gotta love online package tracking. Must have been a weather thing. I have lots of trouble with Fedex where I'm at. It seems they will get the package to within 50 miles of me, then send it back an extra 80 miles away then back to me. That happens about half the time. I expect it has to do with my packages origin and with which facility it arrives in Washington. UPS is great here though, always reliable and on time.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 am

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Gotta love online package tracking. Must have been a weather thing. I have lots of trouble with Fedex where I'm at. It seems they will get the package to within 50 miles of me, then send it back an extra 80 miles away then back to me. That happens about half the time. I expect it has to do with my packages origin and with which facility it arrives in Washington. UPS is great here though, always reliable and on time.

One possible explanation as to why some of your packages are sometimes sent to a location 50 miles away from you and are then sent to a location that is 80 miles away from you could be due to the possibility that the 80 mile away delivery rout reaches you faster than the 50 mile away delivery rout does, for some reason.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 am
Original Member
Original Member

Congrats on getting some shiny new kit, Matt!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

One possible explanation as to why some of your packages are sometimes sent to a location 50 miles away from you and are then sent to a location that is 80 miles away from you could be due to the possibility that the 80 mile away delivery rout reaches you faster than the 50 mile away delivery rout does, for some reason.

If the packages actually came on time then I would say that was the case. I think it is just a symptom of being in a rural area and them not having a good presence in the area. Anyways congrats on the new comp! What did you get?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:55 pm

iNow wrote:
Congrats on getting some shiny new kit, Matt!

Thank you! My computer is working good so far so I am happy with it.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

If the packages actually came on time then I would say that was the case. I think it is just a symptom of being in a rural area and them not having a good presence in the area. Anyways congrats on the new comp! What did you get?

I purchased a HP laptop with a CORE i7 7th Gen processor, a 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE graphics card, a 17.3 inch HD screen, and the Windows 10 OS. I purchased my laptop on Black Friday for $699.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I purchased a HP laptop with a CORE i7 7th Gen processor, a 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE graphics card, a 17.3 inch HD screen, and the Windows 10 OS. I purchased my laptop on Black Friday for $699.

Nice dude. I'm still running Windows 7 on my computers. I'm not a big fan of 8 or 10, but I don't care enough to switch to Linux. If I used my computer for more than typing, and for surfing the internet then maybe I would.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:12 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

When I read this I feel so envious. A laptop of those charachteristics here, in Argentina (third world country), costs twice or more. We can't import anything because whatever we buy, it remains held in customs and if it costs more than 300 USD, we have to pay 50% of the "surplus" I think it's how you call it.

And this is nothing. I work in a research lab. Prices of antibodies or other reagents are like 4 times cheaper in USA. But we can't buy them because they are also held in customs and we have to pay a dispatcher that sometimes charges us more than the price of the reagent itself....and it takes forever to bring it. It's unbelieveable.... so unfair...

It takes 2 months to a local provider to bring an antibody, and sometimes more... We've been waiting since June for a Percoll from Sigma Aldrich and it's been held in customs since august because they are all f******* corrupts.... I hate them I want to burn them...

Ahhhhhhhh.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 pm
Original Member
Original Member

M_Gabriela wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

When I read this I feel so envious. A laptop of those charachteristics here, in Argentina (third world country), costs twice or more. We can't import anything because whatever we buy, it remains held in customs and if it costs more than 300 USD, we have to pay 50% of the "surplus" I think it's how you call it.

And this is nothing. I work in a research lab. Prices of antibodies or other reagents are like 4 times cheaper in USA. But we can't buy them because they are also held in customs and we have to pay a dispatcher that sometimes charges us more than the price of the reagent itself....and it takes forever to bring it. It's unbelieveable.... so unfair...

It takes 2 months to a local provider to bring an antibody, and sometimes more... We've been waiting since June for a Percoll from Sigma Aldrich and it's been held in customs since august because they are all f******* corrupts.... I hate them I want to burn them...

Ahhhhhhhh.

Damn Gabby! That's frigging ridiculous. Makes me feel lucky to live in the US.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
M_Gabriela wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh.

Damn Gabby! That's frigging ridiculous. Makes me feel lucky to live in the US.

I know people that went to USA or other first world countries to stay for 3 months (like a "working practice" while they are doing their PhD) and one of the things they always comment about is that whatever you ask for (primers, reagents, etc) you get it within the next 2-3 days... This way is very easy to do science... hehehe.

The Percoll is for a girl who needs it to perform her final experiment so she can get her degree... it makes me so angry...... not only we have to wait an incredible amount of time but also they (the idiots from customs) earn money because of that.. they┬┤re so corrupt.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh.

Sorry to hear about the cost and wait associated with working with customs in your country to import your products. It must be difficult to deal with all that.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Nice dude. I'm still running Windows 7 on my computers. I'm not a big fan of 8 or 10, but I don't care enough to switch to Linux. If I used my computer for more than typing, and for surfing the internet then maybe I would.

Do you happen to know the advantages of installing and using Linux as opposed to just using the preinstalled Windows or Mac OS on your computer? I have heard that Linux OS is free, fast, and secure. I have also heard that Linux OS is more difficult to use than Windows or Mac OS.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:33 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the cost and wait associated with working with customs in your country to import your products. It must be difficult to deal with all that.

Thank you for your condolences... hahaha.
hugs

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Do you happen to know the advantages of installing and using Linux as opposed to just using the preinstalled Windows or Mac OS on your computer? I have heard that Linux OS is free, fast, and secure. I have also heard that Linux OS is more difficult to use than Windows or Mac OS.

I've heard a lot of good things about Linux based OS, but I have no firsthand experience. One downside seems to be a lot of programs aren't compatible with Linux based OS. I have a friend who does a lot of 3D modelling and he has to switch to windows to use the programs for that. I think maybe Skinwalker or Inow may know more about Linux OS?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Perhaps Skin does. Afraid I won't be of much help there, myself

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm

I once split the hard drive of one of my old computers and reserved one half to install Linux as the OS
maybe I didn't persevere, but I failed to reach a eureka! moment

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:20 pm

I found some Linux information, installation, and usage video tutorials on YouTube. Here is a link to one YouTube playlist I found:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gx4Cwl9DGCkg2uj3PxUWhMDuTw3VKjM

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Thanks Matt! I'll have to check that out.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:14 am

WOW.....Gabriella

I am sorry

That is not cool
I think one thing I really do not like about this site is usually I could see exactly what I was responding to.

I miss you guys

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

babe wrote:
I think one thing I really do not like about this site is usually I could see exactly what I was responding to.

I don't follow. What do you mean?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

I've heard a lot of good things about Linux based OS, but I have no firsthand experience. One downside seems to be a lot of programs aren't compatible with Linux based OS. I have a friend who does a lot of 3D modelling and he has to switch to windows to use the programs for that. I think maybe Skinwalker or Inow may know more about Linux OS?

I think a big appeal for using Linux, concerning program compatibility, if you own a Mac computer, is that if you want to program using a language other than Swift or Objective C then Linux is a free and effective solution to that problem. However, now one can install Windows alongside Mac OS and run programs that one cannot run using Linux.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:46 pm

marnixR wrote:
I once split the hard drive of one of my old computers and reserved one half to install Linux as the OS
maybe I didn't persevere, but I failed to reach a eureka! moment

Yea, I have heard it takes some time and dedication to learn about and appreciate a Linux based OS like Linux Mint or Linux Ubuntu.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:00 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Thank you for your condolences... hahaha.
hugs

Too bad you guys cannot move your research business over to the US or Canada, I imagine the cost and wait associated with customs in Argentina could be alleviated by doing so.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Here is a link to the Linux Ubuntu web documentation if anybody is interested in trying out or installing Linux Ubuntu on their computer:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
Here is a link to the Linux Ubuntu web documentation if anybody is interested in trying out or installing Linux Ubuntu on their computer:

Thanks Matt! I'll give that a look

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 am

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Thanks Matt! I'll give that a look

Your welcome!

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Laptops, Linux, & Slow Shipments  |  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Here is a link to another popular version of Linux called Linux Mint. My link leads to a users guide and a community forum:

https://www.linuxmint.com/links.php