FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:43 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: Badass snail that has a shell made of iron  |  Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This thing is pretty cool. It's even an extremophile living near hydrothermal vents!

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/absurd-cr ... oot-snail/
Quote:
I present to you the scaly-foot snail, which has evolved a shell made of iron sulfide. I’ll repeat that: It builds a shell out of iron. On top of this, the squishy part that protrudes out of the shell, known as the foot, is covered with iron plates, making the scaly-foot snail more metal than Ozzy Osbourne wrapped in tin foil. And it’s all thanks to bacteria, which seem to be building the armor. No other animal on Earth can utilize iron this way. The thing is magnetic, for Pete’s sake.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Badass snail that has a shell made of iron  |  Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Ok... I have to admit that this is a pretty awesome snail... Who would say that about snails.... Look at this picture:

US is studying it for the design of military armor. It's a pretty tough shell....

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Badass snail that has a shell made of iron  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:02 am

so let me get this right: iron sulphide is fools gold isn't it ?
does that mean its shell will start to rust (i.e. become FeO) if it moves away from the sulphide rich environment of the black smokers, or any environment that is more rich in oxygen ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Badass snail that has a shell made of iron  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:00 am

Damn snail, stole my line