FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:41 am

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Repeatability  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Interesting piece about the low repeatability at the leading edge of science, where it's most important. A combination of funding the non-sexy drudgery of repeating experiments, the reluctant to make direct comparisons that might discredit someone's work and other points.

"More than 70% of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist's experiments, and more than half have failed to reproduce their own experiments. Those are some of the telling figures that emerged from Nature's survey of 1,576 researchers who took a brief online questionnaire on reproducibility in research.

The data reveal sometimes-contradictory attitudes towards reproducibility. "

http://www.nature.com/news/1-500-scient ... ty-1.19970

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Crazy how common this seems to be. Some fun podcasts I've listened to related to this topic if anyone has a free 20-30 minutes:

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/28/435416046 ... rchers-say
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/ ... experiment

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 pm

I find this strange, back when I was doing research if I couldn't reproduce my measurements I didn't write the paper!

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:26 am
Original Member
Original Member

Yeah, but could others repeat them? :lol:

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:52 am

The ones I published, yes :p

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Spoken with confidence!

Out of curiosity, what do readers here believe is the correct next step for a study author who has published something that others cannot reproduce?

Do they need to fall in the sword? Should they fight? Engage a PR firm?

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm

There's been cases where the authors had to retract.. There was one last year, I think, about the possibility of getting stem cells from a certain type of cell in a very easy way.... and no one could repeat it so the author had to retract.. Though she stubbornly said she could still do it, hehe

OldChemE
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:11 am

If your results cannot be reproduced by others, and you believe your results are valid, the best next step is to look over what you published. I've seen an occasion or two where a person's description of their experimental design leaves out some step they do automatically (without thinking) but which others may not do. I think that's as rare occurrence but not to be overlooked-- it happened to me many years ago.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Repeatability  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

OldChemE wrote:
If your results cannot be reproduced by others, and you believe your results are valid, the best next step is to look over what you published. I've seen an occasion or two where a person's description of their experimental design leaves out some step they do automatically (without thinking) but which others may not do. I think that's as rare occurrence but not to be overlooked-- it happened to me many years ago.

A very good point. I've run into this problem while trying to find bugs in my database. The end user reports a problem and tells me how they got there, but I am unable to replicate it. Then I have to go through it with them, watching over their shoulder and sure enough they forgot to mention something that they do automatically that they hadn't considered.