FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 pm


Author Message
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:51 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
The fact you and the left wing continue to push a positive economy that exists only in statistics not in reality explains why you are now a citizen under Trump for the next four years. Enjoy, decent citizen.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:14 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 498

Offline
Rory wrote:
Milo's message to iNow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUozYwjLxrE

It always was a partisan accusation: Hillary claimed that Putin personally ordered the hacking after she made a derogatory comment about the Russian elections. I can just picture Putin in his bedroom, making a Hillary voodoo doll :lol: Girl needs to get over herself.

What don't you understand about this thread is NOT about "liberal" (to use your degrogatory term) anger. It's about NONpartisan multinational conclusions that the election was influenced by groups outside the United States.

_________________
The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:25 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Rory wrote:
It always was a partisan accusation: Hillary claimed that Putin personally ordered the hacking after she made a derogatory comment about the Russian elections.

Correction: Every intelligence agency across the US and most around the international community plus multiple private 3rd party security firms have ALL reached a consensus on the conclusion that Russia hacked the US election to help Trump win. It wasn't just a random bullshit claim from Clinton as you're here suggesting (lying about?).


paleoichneum wrote:
What don't you understand about this thread is NOT about "liberal" (to use your degrogatory term) anger. It's about NONpartisan multinational conclusions that the election was influenced by groups outside the United States.

Correct, conclusions that partisan posters here and elsewhere refuse to accept for purely partisan reasons

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:44 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Rory wrote:
The fact you and the left wing continue to push a positive economy that exists only in statistics not in reality explains why you are now a citizen under Trump for the next four years. Enjoy, decent citizen.

Except the US economy as a whole is doing well. As Inow and others have tried to explain numerous times, just because it's bad in some areas doesn't mean the whole is bad. Nor is that painting a false picture of the economy. I live in one of the most impoverished counties in my state, but my state as a whole has a great economy. Just because my county isn't doing well doesn't mean it's a lie or false to say that my state is doing well.

Trying to get anything across to you that disagrees with your perception of things is getting more tiresome by the day. You are truly incapable of seeing things from any view but your extremely narrow skewed viewpoint. I can understand your angry point of view at the status quo and the wealthy elite. I really can. I grew up poor and fought tooth and nail for what I have. However, I've ended up on a different conclusion than you.

Also Rory I think it's important to note that most American liberals and democrats are further to the right than the UK Labour Party and our Republicans are further to the right of the UK Conservative Party. Our whole political compass is shifted further to the right in comparison to the UK. Your far left is our very very far left. While your Centrists are more in line with our Democrats.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
Narrow viewpoint?

You're the ones proclaiming that the economy is doing great.

It's not just me that disagrees, 46% of the electorate live with the reality.

Same is happening across the West - see Brexit in the UK.

The other 50% "can see" and "do appreciate" our frustration but do F all to actually help.

It's not in their interest to help.

Trump gets that.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 283

Offline
paleoichneum wrote:
Rory wrote:
Milo's message to iNow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUozYwjLxrE

It always was a partisan accusation: Hillary claimed that Putin personally ordered the hacking after she made a derogatory comment about the Russian elections. I can just picture Putin in his bedroom, making a Hillary voodoo doll :lol: Girl needs to get over herself.

What don't you understand about this thread is NOT about "liberal" (to use your degrogatory term) anger. It's about NONpartisan multinational conclusions that the election was influenced by groups outside the United States.

You have to be kidding me. Rory started this thread, read the OP. The rest of your PC stuff about "NONpartisan multinational conclusions" is absolute irrelevant PC guff.


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:27 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
For funsies, here is Clinton whining about the "personal beef" (well it ain't long pork)

Edit: that must be, of course, not-partisan beef. Because Putin gives a shadizzle :roll:



What actually happened


_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:21 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
I'm sorry you're so full of hate and rage and disgust for your fellow humans, Rory. It's not healthy and I wish you well.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:57 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
No, just disgust at so-called Democrats who cannot accept the result of a democratic election. I don't need or accept your "well wishes". Neither do the other 63 million Trump supporters.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:25 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Perhaps I should've used the term bile instead. Either way, my well wishes persist.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:41 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Rory wrote:
No, just disgust at so-called Democrats who cannot accept the result of a democratic election. I don't need or accept your "well wishes". Neither do the other 63 million Trump supporters.


Not sure why you insist on being rude here. Over the last ten or so months, you've went from posting interesting and thought out posts to trollish posts that are practically straight out of the comments sections of Breitbart or Fox articles.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
I chose authenticity over superficial politeness. If the truth offends you then that's your problem.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:48 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 498

Offline
Rory wrote:
I chose authenticity over superficial politeness. If the truth offends you then that's your problem.

And your authenticity is showing you to be totally anti-science and fully head inn the sand on ANYTHING that contradicts what you THINK you know.

_________________
The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:21 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Rory wrote:
I chose authenticity over superficial politeness. If the truth offends you then that's your problem.

Wow you sound more childish than any of your students.

"I don't need or accept your "well wishes"."

:lol: Would you rather he reacted with anger and wished you ill? Is that your game here in all this blatant trolling? To try and illicit an emotional response telling you to fuck off, get bent and then ban you? So then you can go elsewhere and claim that you were repressed and censored by those mean old liberals?

When you first started posting here, you seemed like a well intentioned and slightly naive idealist, but over the course of this year you have morphed into an increasingly hate filled cynic. When people do this in RL, it's generally do psychological issues. However, this is over the internet so it could all just be part of a game of yours.

I disagree with most conservatives and all Trump supporters, but I don't actively hate any of them or wish them harm. I realize that they have come to their conclusions from their own life experiences and try to understand how they came to those conclusions. I endeavor to not denigrate them or generalize them all. However, I rarely see any of that come from them, and I don't see any of that from you.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:17 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4827
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
Rory wrote:
I chose authenticity over superficial politeness. If the truth offends you then that's your problem.


which is a pity - imo there is no conflict with being authentic while remaining polite
I must say I have a problem with gratuitous rudeness if it's possible to make your point without being rude

please give it a try, it makes for a nicer atmosphere on the forum

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:30 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Multiple posts have been moved to the Trash: topic2204.html

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:32 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
marnixR wrote:
imo there is no conflict with being authentic while remaining polite
I must say I have a problem with gratuitous rudeness if it's possible to make your point without being rude

please give it a try, it makes for a nicer atmosphere on the forum

Response #1 missed the mark

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:56 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Rory wrote:
The fact you and the left wing continue to push a positive economy that exists only in statistics not in reality explains why you are now a citizen under Trump for the next four years.
Rory wrote:
Same is happening across the West - see Brexit in the UK.

The other 50% "can see" and "do appreciate" our frustration but do F all to actually help.

It's not in their interest to help.

Trump gets that.
Rory wrote:
I chose authenticity over superficial politeness.

The authenticity angle is difficult for me to accept with Trump. Many of the people who supported him are equally concerned given what he's actually doing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/opini ... phony.html
Quote:
Trumpism is, however, different..., the emerging policy agenda is anything but populist.

All indications are that we’re looking at huge windfalls for billionaires combined with savage cuts in programs that serve not just the poor but also the middle class. And the white working class, which provided much of the 46 percent Trump vote share, is shaping up as the biggest loser. ...

Both his pick as budget director and his choice to head Health and Human Services want to dismantle the Affordable Care Act and privatize Medicare. His choice as labor secretary is a fast-food tycoon who has been a vociferous opponent both of Obamacare and of minimum wage hikes. And House Republicans have already submitted plans for drastic cuts in Social Security, including a sharp rise in the retirement age. ...

In other words..., European populism is at least partly real, while Trumpist populism is turning out to be entirely fake, a scam sold to working-class voters who are in for a rude awakening.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:56 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
To be honest I don't actually expect Trump's presidency to be marked with outstanding economic victories. My reason for saying that is the real economy, less the asset bubbles and on-paper economy, is dire. Trump has inherited a poisoned chalice beyond repair.

Besides which, I am less inclined to believe in the value of nominal minimum wage increases and government interference in the economy in general. Ultimately my preference would be for a free market, the excesses of which are tamed by the government. But Western governments have proven irresponsible and not fit to be controlling the people's money. They just feed the banks while the people walk bare foot to the food banks.

No, right now if I had to chose to trust either the government intervention or the invisible hand of the free market, I choose to trust the free market. Government needs to be purged and remember its place in serving the people, not the other way around.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:21 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Can you share a single example of any country on the entire planet that actually has a truly free market?

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
Can you say straw man?

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:56 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
If I've misrepresented your position, I promise it was unintentional.

You seemed to be saying that given the choice between government involvement and a free market that you choose the free market.

In response, I alluded to the fact that this is a false choice and asked if any system out there is really a free market. I don't believe there are any.

Do you have a counter example that proves me wrong? It seems the answer is no, is that correct?

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:03 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
Hence, if given the choice.

I was merely trying to signal a preference between government intervention and the free market, not to suggest that a 100% free market actually exists.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:21 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 498

Offline
Given that one does not exist and there is no doubt on how one would act why would you want one?

_________________
The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:16 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Rory wrote:
show me some evidence.

https://www.us-cert.gov/sites/default/f ... -20296.pdf
Quote:
This Joint Analysis Report (JAR) is the result of analytic efforts between the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). This document provides technical details regarding the tools and infrastructure used by the Russian civilian and military intelligence Services (RIS) to compromise and exploit networks and endpoints associated with the U.S. election, as well as a range of U.S. Government, political, and private sector entities.


h/t Falconer

Cue the backfire effect...

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:39 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
That isn't evidence, that's a list of claims made by Homeland Security.

I can't look at that document and decide, independently, whether or not Russia hacked the US election. All I can tell you is that Homeland Security claim that it happened.

If the contents of that document counted as evidence then scientific conferences would be much quicker. The speaker would merely stand at the front and say "I've found a gene that causes arthritis" then step back off the stage to roarous applause.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Rory wrote:
That isn't evidence, that's a list of claims made by Homeland Security.

I can't look at that document and decide, independently, whether or not Russia hacked the US election. All I can tell you is that Homeland Security claim that it happened.

If the contents of that document counted as evidence then scientific conferences would be much quicker. The speaker would merely stand at the front and say "I've found a gene that causes arthritis" then step back off the stage to roarous applause.


Nice strawman. One thing that has been reiterated to you countless times is that you cannot hold everything to the same rigors of the scientific method.


Quote:
The U.S. Government confirms that two different RIS actors participated in the intrusion into a U.S. political party. The first actor group, known as Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) 29, entered into the party’s systems in summer 2015, while the second, known as APT28, entered in spring 2016.

Both groups have historically targeted government organizations, think tanks, universities, and corporations around the world. APT29 has been observed crafting targeted spearphishing campaigns leveraging web links to a malicious dropper; once executed, the code delivers Remote Access Tools (RATs) and evades detection using a range of techniques. APT28 is known for leveraging domains that closely mimic those of targeted organizations and tricking potential victims into entering legitimate credentials. APT28 actors relied heavily on shortened URLs in their spearphishing email campaigns. Once APT28 and APT29 have access to victims, both groups exfiltrate and analyze information to gain intelligence value.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
The FBI confirms that Santa is real

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:37 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Rory wrote:
That isn't evidence, that's a list of claims made by Homeland Security. (snip) If the contents of that document counted as evidence then scientific conferences would be much quicker.

Even in the field of science, standards of evidence need only to scale with the nature of the claim being made. There is a point where it's reasonable to accept certain things as valid even absent direct evidence you can personally touch, taste, or otherwise interact with. That humans have thoughts and feelings is one obvious example.

The threshold you're putting forth here in the matter of Russian hacking of the US election, however, is (let's be frank) unreasonable and disingenuous in the extreme, especially given the history and other known activities of the accused.

Further, were the threshold you demand be crossed actually be crossed so as to satisfy your obstinate whims, that crossing would likely do more harm than good.

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/12/13 ... ia-hacking
Quote:
What makes this fight so tricky is that the CIA’s best evidence really might be information that it can’t release publicly without compromising valuable sources of future intelligence. That means the CIA needs to convince a skeptical public to accept its conclusions without sharing all of the information that led the intelligence agency to make those conclusions in the first place.

President Obama has asked the nation’s intelligence agencies to prepare a report on hacking incidents related to the 2016 election. This could give the CIA space to disclose some of its evidence and conclusions, but it will still likely have to withhold some key details to protect sources and methods.

The White House report will likely be dismissed out of hand by many Trump’s supporters

Unfortunately, that aforementioned dismissal out of hand appears to be your sole and primary response as you've just shown here. The parallels you're displaying to denial of climate change and evolution truly should give you pause and motivate introspection.

Rory wrote:
The FBI confirms that Santa is real

I'm trying very hard to take you seriously and treat your position with respect, kindness, and understanding. You're making it exceedingly difficult to continue doing so.

At some point soon, I anticipate Trump or someone high ranking in his administration will confirm their acceptance of Russian involvement in electoral hacking. I will be curious whether your recalcitrance and willful ignorance about what happened continues at that time or if instead you'll finally acquiesce because "your team" finally told you it is okay to do so.

Time will tell, I suppose.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:27 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
Quote:
iNow wrote:
Even in the field of science, standards of evidence need only to scale with the nature of the claim being made. There is a point where it's reasonable to accept certain things as valid even absent direct evidence you can personally touch, taste, or otherwise interact with.


The scale of the claim being made is enormous – an international spat between two nuclear superpowers. The evidence needs to be of the same scale. I have seen no primary or secondary evidence.

I would potentially believe on the basis of secondary evidence – that happens between scientists all the time. However, the difference is that the secondary evidence is amenable to reproduction by anyone. The same is not true in this case. Also, the most valuable asset - or greatest liability – for a scientist is their reputation. As such, I trust that scientists generally have a vested interest in establishing the truth. The same vested interest does not exist here. There is no-one to whistle-blow on the President, CIA or FBI – and the US authorities obviously have no reason to care if Russia is blamed for a crime they did not commit. In fact, it would be to the US authorities’ advantage to undermine their rival superpower.

As I’ve said, and you’ve said, many times before – it’s about trust.

Quote:
iNow wrote:
The threshold you're putting forth here in the matter of Russian hacking of the US election, however, is (let's be frank) unreasonable and disingenuous in the extreme, especially given the history and other known activities of the accused.


You are ignoring the history and other known activities of the ‘victims’:

The thing is, the Iraq War was not the result of an intelligence goof — rather, the country’s top office systematically misled the public about Iraq’s non-existent WMD program, as well as Saddam Hussein’s link to Al Qaeda.

On Tuesday night, former CIA Deputy Director and Bush’s intelligence briefer Michael Morell appeared on MSNBC’s “Hardball,” where he, under an amount of good cable news duress, admitted that the administration intentionally misrepresented intelligence.


http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/george_w_bushs_cia_briefer_admits_iraq_wmd_intelligence_was_a_lie/

Quote:
iNow wrote:
Further, were the threshold you demand be crossed actually be crossed so as to satisfy your obstinate whims, that crossing would likely do more harm than good.


Very convenient for the US authorities.

Quote:
iNow wrote:
Unfortunately, that aforementioned dismissal out of hand appears to be your sole and primary response as you've just shown here. The parallels you're displaying to denial of climate change and evolution truly should give you pause and motivate introspection.


No, I’m not dismissing the claims. I cannot say if the hacking did or did not happen. No evidence either way. Innocent until proven guilty.

The distinction between this and evolution/climate change, for one, there are masses of robust evidence for both evolution and climate change. None here for hacking.

Quote:
iNow wrote:
At some point soon, I anticipate Trump or someone high ranking in his administration will confirm their acceptance of Russian involvement in electoral hacking. I will be curious whether your recalcitrance and willful ignorance about what happened continues at that time or if instead you'll finally acquiesce because "your team" finally told you it is okay to do so.


Yes, perhaps, a Republican will see the dog’s face smeared with jam – and make the same inference as the CIA. Doesn’t negate the likelihood of a false flag.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Rory wrote:
Yes, perhaps, a Republican will see the dog’s face smeared with jam – and make the same inference as the CIA.

As has been shared with you already and repeatedly throughout this thread, most republicans already have. You asked for A republican to make the inference. Done. Most have, just not the one DIRECTLY benefiting from pretending it's false.

Separate, but related:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ram ... ng-things/
Quote:
Americans — especially but not exclusively Trump voters — believe crazy, wrong things

Many Americans believe a lot of dumb, crazy, destructive, provably wrong stuff. Lately this is especially (though not exclusively) true of Donald Trump voters, according to a new survey.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
iNow, imagine a woman cheats on you three times. Each time she denies it and once you discover the truth she apologises vociferously and PROMISES not to do it again. Do you trust her?

That's basically what you're doing with the CIA.

The craziest thing you could do is to trust the CIA.

How difficult would it be for the US to arrange the apparent hacking?

I'm guessing that's pretty easy, and it comes with a lot of benefits for the political elite.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:19 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 498

Offline
Rory wrote:
iNow, imagine a woman cheats on you three times. Each time she denies it and once you discover the truth she apologises vociferously and PROMISES not to do it again. Do you trust her?

That's basically what you're doing with the CIA.

The craziest thing you could do is to trust the CIA.

How difficult would it be for the US to arrange the apparent hacking?

I'm guessing that's pretty easy, and it comes with a lot of benefits for the political elite.

Stop with the false false bullshit. Its not acceptable on a science forum, and neither is your appeal to authority that you keep doing with you hypocritical assertion that YOU need to see evidence. Its utter crap that is not acceptable.

_________________
The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:47 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Rory wrote:
iNow, imagine a woman cheats on you three times. Each time she denies it and once you discover the truth she apologises vociferously and PROMISES not to do it again. Do you trust her?

That's basically what you're doing with the CIA.

The craziest thing you could do is to trust the CIA.

How difficult would it be for the US to arrange the apparent hacking?

I'm guessing that's pretty easy, and it comes with a lot of benefits for the political elite.

Rory if the CIA was only one person this would maybe be a permissible comparison, however, in the last eleven years there have been 8 different directors of the CIA. And no counting how much the staff has turned over since the days of 9/11 and the Invasion of Iraq. At this point you're indicating that hundreds maybe thousands of people are "cheating" on you.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:36 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/lindse ... 2016-12-28
Quote:
there is near-unanimity in Congress’s upper chamber, if not at Trump Tower, that the Russian government was behind a spree of cyberattacks with the intent of affecting the U.S. presidential election.
(...)
[Republican Senator] Lindsey Graham: 99 of 100 senators think Russia hackers targeted U.S. election
(...)
The Russians, Graham went on to say, are “doing it all over the world,” including, he said, in Estonia, where he and [Republican Seanator] McCain sat for an interview with CNN’s Jim Sciutto. That Baltic state, which like neighboring Latvia borders Russia, is “hit all the time.”

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
For those paying attention: http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/6/14194 ... tion-trump

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:48 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
This knocked my socks off, no doubt iNow, you will shrug and not bat an eyelash :)

BBC reports: A major bank will fail in 2017

Quote:
As accusations of Russian hacking in the 2016 US presidential election continue to reverberate around the world, hackers would seem to be getting the upper hand.

Prof. Richard Benham, Chairman of the National Cyber Management Centre, gives a dire warning: "A major bank will fail as a result of a cyber-attack in 2017 leading to a loss of confidence and a run on that bank."


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38517517

Very strange that he, a paid employee of the UK government, should give such a concrete and self-assured prophecy. It's almost like the UK govt are going to frame Russia for the collapse of a UK bank that is actually due to the disastrous policies of the central bank.

Watch this space, they will do it. They are that pathetic.

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:02 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 498

Offline
Rory wrote:
This knocked my socks off, no doubt iNow, you will shrug and not bat an eyelash :)

BBC reports: A major bank will fail in 2017

Quote:
As accusations of Russian hacking in the 2016 US presidential election continue to reverberate around the world, hackers would seem to be getting the upper hand.

Prof. Richard Benham, Chairman of the National Cyber Management Centre, gives a dire warning: "A major bank will fail as a result of a cyber-attack in 2017 leading to a loss of confidence and a run on that bank."


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38517517

Very strange that he, a paid employee of the UK government, should give such a concrete and self-assured prophecy. It's almost like the UK govt are going to frame Russia for the collapse of a UK bank that is actually due to the disastrous policies of the central bank.

Watch this space, they will do it. They are that pathetic.

What his data????

You constantly hide behind that demand when presented with data that shows you're talking bollocks, YET you blindly accept anything like this that furthers your personal warped view of the world.

_________________
The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.


Top
Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am
Posts: 1921

Offline
You're very well mentally endowed, Paleoichneum.

(i) the CIA, you may remember us from such films as, "there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq", and "the NSA is not spying on civilians"

(ii) 14yo kid could have hacked Hillary's emails, it's not difficult to destroy a presidential candidate who is that irresponsible

(iii) if the content of her emails hadn't been damning then their leak via WikiLeaks would be a non-issue. Dems are only bothered about getting caught.

If you don't believe me on the link I posted, that's fine by me. Let's re-convene in January 2018 and see whether or not it happened.

Where's my wireless? :D

_________________
If you are doomed to be boring - make it short. Andre Geim


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:57 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Enough. Thread closed.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: It's Putin, stupid!  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5657
Location: Iowa

Offline
Temporary opening to share this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump acknowledged for the first time here Wednesday that Russia was responsible for hacking the Democratic Party during last year’s election (...) "As far as hacking, I think it was Russia,” Mr. Trump said."


The thread will now remain locked.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   
cron

Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy