FAQ
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm

pineapples
Post  Post subject: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:58 am

If you ever want to get peeved off/disillusioned by humanity, just go to the foxnews comments section and read some of the posts. So much racism, xenophobia and plain ignorance from what seems like the majority of comments.

I learnt a new word ‘Libtard’. I can’t help but cringe at the slur. I swear these folk don’t know what the word liberal actually means.

So what am I doing reading foxnews? Well, I’m not American, but wanted to get an insight into how fox reports Trump compared to other news outlets, as I understand their a Republican news channel.

But what is it some people hate about ‘liberals’?

Taken from the first an online dictionary I googled:
Liberal – “willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas”

So why the hate?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I feel that most of it is taught. It's not hate so much as it's a learned behavior, a reinforced us/them tribalism where you're only "cool" if you jump on the bandwagon and call liberals names and suggest ignorance. It's similar to sports where rivalries exist between Man. U and Liverpool or between Barcelona and Madrid... Calling each other names and treating the "other side" as "less-than" is easy and rewarded, only it's much more odious and much more consequential in the world of politics and human governance.

Don't get me wrong, the same thing happens the other way, too. Liberals often associate conservatives with stupidity and illogic, and clearly there are countless many examples where that's true, but we've become lazy in using this shorthand of single words to describe tens (hundreds?) of millions of people, as if that's enough to render what they're saying as untrue, unworthy, or unimportant.

More broadly, these types of comments and labels represent a much bigger attack on facts and intellectualism and enlightened thinking. Emotions and narratives have become more powerful tools of influence than numbers and reality. Not always, and there are clear counter-examples everywhere, but liberals tend to be associated with the educated. They are seen as elite and disconnected. They are being typecast and treated as inferior. It's lazy, but it works.

It's not new, either. This happened in Hitler's Germany and it happened in Stalin's Russia and it happened in Joe McCarthy's red scare in America. It's happening across the US with Black Lives Matter against Blue Lives Matter and in countless other countries across the world. It's one of those unfortunate cycles in human life and politics that keeps repeating and reinserting itself.

At the core, though, it's about dehumanizing others and stripping the legitimacy of clear counter points. It makes it easier to dismiss valid points if you can simply assign a label to the person making those points, like the tu quoque fallacy writ large. We used to be able to agree on basic facts, even if we disagreed on how to respond to them, but now facts themselves have become subject to interpretation... pawns used to morph into supporting anything we want, no matter how ridiculous... In essence, no longer does the evidence shape our conclusions, but our conclusion shapes the evidence.

It's not about hate, IMO, but about ignorance and its perpetuation. It's about finding ways to prioritize what we WANT to be true and to delegitimize anyone who feels differently. It's a modern form of us being apes in trees throwing feces at neighboring tribes, but with unfortunate downstream consequences now that we've advanced our technology enough to do real damage to the planet and to ourselves.

It's not new, though. It's just bigger and more impactful.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

pineapples
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:30 pm

Agree. It’s not new. Perhaps just a lot more noticeable with social media. And yes, it does work both ways.

Plenty of tit for tat, school yard name calling. I mentioned ‘libtard’, but I’ve heard ‘redneck’ used as a derogatory term towards hard core Trump fans. Plenty of condescending remarks both ways. I like to assume most of these people would be polite with each other face to face, but hiding behind a keyboard, well…

Anyway, I think what got me a little annoyed is the overwhelming volume of comments posted in foxnews that contained negativity and no substance other than to attack Hillary/Obama or “Lefties”. I’d say prime time there’s approx. 10+ such comments posted every minute.

Anyway, I think I should just stand back, take a deep breath and move on :)

pineapples
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:09 pm

By the way, I should add that was very insightful and well written, inow. I also learnt a new fallacy “tu quoque” ;)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Comments sections everywhere tend to be cesspools showing the worst of humanity. See also: Youtube comments sections.

Glad you liked the post.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:41 pm

A lot of these comments come from the top down. David Cameron thought that it was cool to denigrate UKIP and their supporters a few years ago. He called them, " fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, mostly ".
Fast forward a few years and Brexit became David Cameron's Achilles heel.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4875026.stm

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 pm

That is one of the few things I agree with David Cameron about...

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:35 pm

wireless wrote:
He called them, " fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, mostly ".

mind you, a fruitcake remains a fruitcake, never mind how many votes s/he can get at the ballot box

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

I myself am guilty of using terms like conservatard when talking about people like Ted Cruz. But that was during the government shutdown and I was using it not in the vein of implying that he was mentally handicapped but that he wanted to retard the ability for the country to function.

For the overly sensitive out there:
Retard means "delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." It is not just a abusive term towards mentally handicapped people. Actually this leads to a slight tangent, but I sincerely hate that using the word retard in it's proper usage can get a person reprimanded or looked at scathingly.

A researcher I work with had her university crack down on the "R" word recently, she thought they might mean rape (like how younger men overuse the word to describe negative experiences they've had), but no they meant retard. She has since refused to stop using the word in it's proper form because as she put it, "If they're too stupid to know that the word has valid uses and get offended by me using it to describe the slowing or halting of a process then they don't belong in my college class."

That all being said, I've never gotten the feeling that the conservatives using the term libtard, actually know the definition of the word tard or retard, beyond them being abusive towards the handicapped. this is due to the other comments they make in conjunction that imply that liberals are brain damaged overly sensitive children.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:03 pm

marnixR wrote:
wireless wrote:

mind you, a fruitcake remains a fruitcake, never mind how many votes s/he can get at the ballot box

You may say that, but in this particular case the fruitcakes won.

Last edited by wireless on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:06 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
I myself am guilty of using terms like conservatard when talking about people like Ted Cruz. But that was during the government shutdown and I was using it not in the vein of implying that he was mentally handicapped but that he wanted to retard the ability for the country to function.

For the overly sensitive out there:
Retard means "delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment." It is not just a abusive term towards mentally handicapped people. Actually this leads to a slight tangent, but I sincerely hate that using the word retard in it's proper usage can get a person reprimanded or looked at scathingly.

A researcher I work with had her university crack down on the "R" word recently, she thought they might mean rape (like how younger men overuse the word to describe negative experiences they've had), but no they meant retard. She has since refused to stop using the word in it's proper form because as she put it, "If they're too stupid to know that the word has valid uses and get offended by me using it to describe the slowing or halting of a process then they don't belong in my college class."

That all being said, I've never gotten the feeling that the conservatives using the term libtard, actually know the definition of the word tard or retard, beyond them being abusive towards the handicapped. this is due to the other comments they make in conjunction that imply that liberals are brain damaged overly sensitive children.

Just the other day I encountered the term " Trumptard " I was deeply shocked by this totally offensive inappropriate insult. :shock:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:34 pm

wireless wrote:
marnixR wrote:
wireless wrote:

You may say that, but in this particular case the fruitcakes won.

still doesn't change my POV that a fruitcake is a fruitcake
even fruitcakes can fool some people some of the time

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Several posts have been thrown in the Trash. Knock off the obvious trolling, wireless.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sometimes the greatest hatred is reserved for those nearly in alignment. Mention Freud to a feminist, you'll get the message that no one could be so wrong. Yet it was Freud who told the world women are screwed up by the men in their lives from infancy, that gender is largely an imposed social construct. Feminists hate Freud because he didn't get all the details just right. Ask feminists about the Dalai Lama, no problem because the Dalai Lama doesn't give a fig about the status of women. Likewise if a Trotskyite does murder it'll be a fellow Marxist over some obscure point of dogma. Somehow it's the picky "family" disagreements that most get under one's skin.

So I'm speculating that US Democrats and Republicans are really close to alignment, relative to other political groups around the world. They disagree in a few details, which they blow out of proportion. Test? For thought experiment replace the Democrats with, I dunno, the Australian Labor Party. Plop them into the seats, accent and all. What form will the discussion take?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:18 am

from a European POV, most Americans, whatever their hue, appear to have a love for the following in common : religion, the constitution, and guns - not necessarily in that order

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I find the entire binary left-right sociopolitical categorization scheme to be wholly inadequate.
The number of spherical cows that fit in a barn might be a useful approximation, but an infinite number of circular cows fit in the same barn. That's a worthless approximation.

I came up with "refucklican" before, it was like these guys were self parody's, so why not? Now the "left" is doing the same self parody thing. Guess I'm just a feckless moderate.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

propro wrote:
liberals will get" their own people" be killed, be raped, be enslaved.

Those “liberals” have no common sense.

1) Asian Empires invaded Europe for over 1000 years.

Mongols, Huns, Ottoman, Tatars, Timurid Empire. And Persian Empire, Arab Empire.

European army defeated Muslim army at the gate of Vienna.
Siege of Vienna - Wikipedia

Note that, Mongols killed 1/4 of the world population. Mongols killed 50% of Chinese.

2) Spanish were enslaved by blacks for 700 years.
Moorish ruled Spain, 711-1492, 781 years.
Islam in Spain, Wikipedia

After Spain gained it freedom, Africans still took hundreds of thousands Spanish slaves for over 200 years (1530 to 1780). The greatest Spanish writer, Cervantes was a slave in Algiers, he was ransomed.

In the "Song of Roland", the Moors were described as "Blacker than ink with large noses and ears" and with "nothing white except the teeth."

You understand that your post is utterly irrelevant to the thread right?

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:34 am

People say that liberals insulting conservatives is why liberals lost the election so badly. I'd say they had a point if the most insulting and condescending candidate, by far, would not have won the presidential election.
This explains some polarity, and shows that it's worse today than in the past:
http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/political-polarization-in-the-american-public/
The article mentions that over a quarter of democrats and republicans think the opposite party is a threat to the nation's well-being.
So of course you're going to hate people, and have a hard time respectfully disagreeing with them, when you think the country is at risk if they get their way. I have personal experience with this.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Why do people hate “liberals”?  |  Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:21 am

anticorncob28 wrote:
People say that liberals insulting conservatives is why liberals lost the election so badly. I'd say they had a point if the most insulting and condescending candidate, by far, would not have won the presidential election.
This explains some polarity, and shows that it's worse today than in the past:
http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/political-polarization-in-the-american-public/
The article mentions that over a quarter of democrats and republicans think the opposite party is a threat to the nation's well-being.
So of course you're going to hate people, and have a hard time respectfully disagreeing with them, when you think the country is at risk if they get their way. I have personal experience with this.

Would you care to share your personal experience in this matter ?