FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:13 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:28 am

this story is already about a week old, but I must admit it really has me baffled:

New five pound note: Not suitable for vegetarians

in order to make the note waterproof a small amount of tallow (in the order of 1%) was used in the production of the note
the same chemical is being used in candles and soap, but I don't see anyone writing petitions to have it removed from those products ?

to top it all, now Hindus have jumped on the bandwagon, and while I find the position of vegetarians (but not vegans) baffling, when someone starts to object on religious grounds I'm starting to see red - all the more so since we're talking about small minorities here

granted that you could refuse to accept the offending note, like some Hindu temples have done, but a petition ?

it just goes contrary to my approach on Internet forums, which is "don't go out of your way to cause offence, but also don't go out of your way to be offended"

it's starting to look like this simple principle does not apply in real life

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Quote:
marnix wrote:
the same chemical is being used in candles and soap, but I don't see anyone writing petitions to have it removed from those products ?

Probably because you can choose not to use those items if you wish - there are alternatives.

While it is possible to refrain from using the new £5 note, it's probably majorly inconvenient to do so.

Maybe it's not a matter of religious minorities taking offence but, rather, the impossibility of incorporating the new £5 note into their life without contradicting their religious principles.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
it just goes contrary to my approach on Internet forums, which is "don't go out of your way to cause offence, but also don't go out of your way to be offended"

There. FTFY

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm

iNow wrote:
marnixR wrote:

There. FTFY

oops - edited the OP

as for "contradicting religious principles" - most religious principles gets contradicted all the time by someone or something
what sort of religion is that it can't withstand something inconveniencing its principles ? imo that sounds like someone needs a comfort blanket

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:59 pm

I know it seems (is?) high maintenance... but I don't want to criticise the religious on that basis because... there are certain ways in which I am irrational that I cannot fix (short of a therapist, which I can't afford). This has a moderate impact on my day-to-day life that would seem trivial to somebody else. But it isn't trivial to me, so the bank note thing probably isn't trivial to the religious. I doubt that they are intentionally being awkward.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:39 pm

it just seems such a little thing to worry about, making your life miserable where you don't really have to
a bit like joining a religion where you're not allowed to step on the cracks in the pavement - just makes hard work of something that shouldn't be

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We should try to accommodate the needs of others where it's reasonable. The question becomes what is reasonable and what is not.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:49 pm

I vaguely remember reading about a similar thing back when we Brits were f***Ing up the Indian subcontinent, the rifle ammunition was smothered in beef tallow and some of the Hindu local levees refused to use it. Can't recall what impact this had but I'm guessing local sensitivities were ignored and they could find someone who would fire if paid..

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:02 am

still, you could say that they were defending the right to do what they pleased according to local custom in their own country
this is slightly different because britain is a de facto secular society, and especially non-Christian faiths are tolerated, but only up to the point where the tail is not trying to wag the dog

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:13 pm

PhDemon wrote:
I vaguely remember reading about a similar thing back when we Brits were f***Ing up the Indian subcontinent, the rifle ammunition was smothered in beef tallow and some of the Hindu local levees refused to use it. Can't recall what impact this had but I'm guessing local sensitivities were ignored and they could find someone who would fire if paid..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Re ... cartridges

As the banknotes are polymer the tallow isn't there to make them waterproof but to give the beads used in the manufacturing process a little lubrication.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 pm

The professional , " I am offended " brigade, just need something to do, it is as simple as that.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I suppose it's easier to dismiss people with broad bland labels than to understand things from their perspective and try to make society better.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:33 pm

iNow wrote:
... and try to make society better.

surely this is such a minor issue it's hard to understand that anyone can work themselves in a lather over it
+ i can't see how taking out the tallow from the production of a plastic fiver makes the world a better place

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:44 am

Animal fat is easy to get into a lather about - that's why soap's made from whale blubber.

Anyone else in the UK feverishly checking their £5 notes for Jane Austen between Churchill and Big Ben?

I very, very rarely use cash, but I do have one on my person, and I must admit I checked it this morning :lol:

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:37 am

Vegetarians, vegans et al have all missed the fact that existing 'paper' money is made from cotton waste infused with gelatin.

OB

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Good point - if you want to try to remove yourself from the ecology of nature then, good luck, it won't work.

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:40 pm

One beer wrote:
Vegetarians, vegans et al have all missed the fact that existing 'paper' money is made from cotton waste infused with gelatin.

OB

Or PVA.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Contains animal fat  |  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:31 pm

here's a BBC article highlighting the difficulty of staying away from products that in some way might be tainted by animal products

I don't see why vegetarians would have a problem though, just vegans and Hindus

How difficult is it to avoid animal products in everyday life?

I don't see why I would fulminate about not accepting the new fiver in restaurants, but I might have a word to say if I was in that restaurant and was trying to pay, and I only had enough money on me, including the offending fiver

as an aside : would they refuse the new giver if it was left as a tip ?