FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Ascended
Post  Post subject: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 am

Guardians of the Galaxy 1
Blade Runner 2
Forbidden Planet 3
Goodfellas 4
Where Eagles Dare 5
Paul 6
Dune 7
Ocean's 11 8
Apocalypto 9
Terminator 2 10
Empire Strikes Back 11
Raiders of the Lost Ark 12
The Matrix 13
Pulp Fiction 14
Gladiator 15
Slumdog Millionaire 16
Golden Eye 17
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow 18
Akira 19
Jurassic park 21
Top Gun 22
Rocky 4 23
Escape to Victory 24
The Great Escape 25
Passport to Pimlico 26
The Man in the White Suit 27
The Lavender Hill Mob 28
Carry on Doctor 29
Carry on Sergeant 30
The Third Man 31
The Return of the King 32
Hugo 33
The Goonies 34
Blood Diamond 35
District 13 36
Dawn of the Dead (1978) 37
Once Upon a Time in America 38
You Guns 39
Lost Boys 40
St Elmo's Fire 41
Weird Science 42
Batman (1989) 43
Army of Darkness 44
Serenity 45
The Pianist 46
Sin City 47
The Dirty Dozen 48
Kelly's Heroes 49
Breakfast at Tiffany's 50
Django Unchained 51
National Lampoon's European Vacation 52
School of Rock 53
2001: A Space Odyssey 54
Strange Days 55
The Hunt for Red October 56
Red Cliff 57
The Borne Identity 58
The Phantom Menace 59
The Prestige 60
Back to the Future part 2 61
Sahara (2005) 62
Time Bandits 63
Edge of Tomorrow 64
XXX 65
The Fast and the Furious 66
The Chronicles of Riddick 67
Aliens 68
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger 69
Battleship 70
End of Days 71
The Da Vinci Code 72
Brazil 73
Kingdom of Heaven 74
King Arthur (2004) 75
Reach for the Sky 76
Sink the Bismarck! 77
The Maltese falcon 78
The Fifth Element 79
Micmacs 80
Paycheck 81
The Thirteenth Floor 82
The Beach 83
Argo 84
Ghostbusters (1984) 85
The Italian Job (1969) 86
National Treasure 87
Trading Places 88
The Invention of Lying 89
Idiocracy 90
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 91
300 92
Lara Croft Tomb Raider 93
EuroTrip 94
The Living Daylights 95
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 96
Divergent 97
The Martian 98
Super 8 99
Particle Fever 100

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:18 am
Original Member
Original Member

Not a bad list. For my own list I would have Shaun of The Dead in place of Apocalypto, Jurassic park would be higher, and The Seven Samurai by Kurosawa would be in place of Where Eagles Dare. There are a few others that I would disagree with, but maybe I'll just make my own list. :)

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 am

Falconer360 wrote:
Not a bad list. For my own list I would have Shaun of The Dead in place of Apocalypto, Jurassic park would be higher, and The Seven Samurai by Kurosawa would be in place of Where Eagles Dare. There are a few others that I would disagree with, but maybe I'll just make my own list. :)

Hey that will be cool, I'm betting we'll probably have about half in common. What I love about people's lists is finding something on there you've not heard of or seen, because chances are it's usually worth watching. Btw Shaun of the Dead is a good shout, no matter how many lists you do, you always come across something else after you finished ahhhggg! :)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:20 am

I must admit that I haven't seen most of the films on your list, but then again I'm not an ardent movie aficionado
does that mean I won't die until I've seen them all ? there's your path to immortality ...

Northerner
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I could agree with many of those mentioned in the first post
Of course, there are a large number of films (European and American) I haven't seen!
I will mention one, some might dismiss as simply a mainstream Hollywood Western, I really enjoyed.
The film is "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer with Dana Delany.
I was particularly impressed with the performance of Stephen Lang as, the small town thug, Ike Clanton!

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:48 pm

marnixR wrote:
I must admit that I haven't seen most of the films on your list, but then again I'm not an ardent movie aficionado
does that mean I won't die until I've seen them all ? there's your path to immortality ...

Hey if we really have come with a way to offer life extension I'd better do a 20,000 films to see before you die list :) Didn't really want to call it a best, or top 100 films though because there are probably better ones out there, certainly I didn't include all the usual stuff that every other list seems to have i.e. Shawshank Redemption & Citizen Kane ect...

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Northerner wrote:
I could agree with many of those mentioned in the first post
Of course, there are a large number of films (European and American) I haven't seen!
I will mention one, some might dismiss as simply a mainstream Hollywood Western, I really enjoyed.
The film is "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer with Dana Delany.
I was particularly impressed with the performance of Stephen Lang as, the small town thug, Ike Clanton!

I can't say I as actually remember seeing Tombstone, maybe one to get around to watching. Equally I hope the list may provide a little a inspiration :)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:01 pm

hmmm ... just looking at your list, I seem to be missing "Invasion of the bodysnatchers" ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

A few others...

Princess Bride
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Shaolin Soccer
Clockwork Orange
Braveheart
Big Trouble in Little China
Field of Dreams

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:58 am

marnixR wrote:
hmmm ... just looking at your list, I seem to be missing "Invasion of the bodysnatchers" ?

iNow wrote:
A few others...

Princess Bride
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Shaolin Soccer
Clockwork Orange
Braveheart
Big Trouble in Little China
Field of Dreams

Hey if you guys keep coming up with more great films I'm going to have to do a bigger list, btw as a kid I loved Big Trouble in Little China :)

But in a nod towards one of the slightly odder films on the list, perhaps a film that may I say probably helps to prove definitively that the French truely are mad as a box of frogs, I thought you may enjoy a short extract from Micmacs:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDheD0brdYk

Northerner
Post  Post subject: Re: 100 films to see before you die list  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 pm

;) ;) ;)
Ascended wrote:

I can't say I as actually remember seeing Tombstone, maybe one to get around to watching. Equally I hope the list may provide a little a inspiration :)

If you get the chance watch it on TV.
I saw it, first, in a large city cinema where it had a decent run, but after a period it had moved to the one film theatre in the city
I have to say I became, for some time, excessively proud of my ability to judge the quality of most films. ;)