FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:40 pm

don't know whether i'm suffering from confirmation bias or whether i can truly say "i told you so"

Here's The Real Reason Your Friend's 'Gluten-Free' Diet Might Be Making Them Feel Better

in short, most self-diagnosed celiac sufferers are not, and the reason they feel better when they switch to a gluten-ree diet is that they cut out all the other junk food crap they otherwise are eating

but we all know that junk food has never hurt anyone, do we ? it's far easier to blame the bogeyman that gluten appears to be in recent times

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:09 pm

marnixR wrote:
don't know whether i'm suffering from confirmation bias or whether i can truly say "i told you so"

Here's The Real Reason Your Friend's 'Gluten-Free' Diet Might Be Making Them Feel Better

in short, most self-diagnosed celiac sufferers are not, and the reason they feel better when they switch to a gluten-ree diet is that they cut out all the other junk food crap they otherwise are eating

but we all know that junk food has never hurt anyone, do we ? it's far easier to blame the bogeyman that gluten appears to be in recent times

With the proliferation of "diets" , the gluten-free one is probably no worse than any other. It actually seems to have beneficial side effects .

Beware the law of unintended consequences -they can be good ;)

I am not sure how bad junk food is . I heard a story of someone who went for years just living on crisps.

Here , I googled it (and other stories)

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/2442 ... ips-in-us/

http://www.lostateminor.com/2015/04/15/ ... -10-years/

https://www.google.com/search?q=years+j ... e&ie=UTF-8

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:36 pm

hmmm ... surely there's more to junk food than crisps ?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:45 pm

marnixR wrote:
hmmm ... surely there's more to junk food than crisps ?

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Does any food actually do you harm or is it that they shoulder out the ones that do you good?

"Junk food" is hardly a scientific term anyway ;)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One unintended side effect of all these people switching to a gluten free diet, is that it has caused there to be more gluten free options available for people that actually have celiac disease. My brother's girlfriend has lived her whole life with celiac disease and is thoroughly enjoying the boom of gluten free options that are more readily available to her now.

I'm in agreement that it's the cutting of "junk foods" that is what makes these people feel better.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
One unintended side effect of all these people switching to a gluten free diet, is that it has caused there to be more gluten free options available for people that actually have celiac disease. My brother's girlfriend has lived her whole life with celiac disease and is thoroughly enjoying the boom of gluten free options that are more readily available to her now.

I had also noticed that. I am sometimes asked to provide food for coeliacs and I tell them it is no bother as it is easy to get (although they do also bring their own supplies).

Yes .coeliacs are also profiteers :)

g o r t
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:09 pm

marnixR wrote:

I am not certain what to think of this post.
It serves no real utility but basically makes fun of people setting up a situation to silence them.
The extent and diversity of Celiac disease is not well understood. There may also be similar undiscovered conditions.
Since they typically estimate that 5 out of 6 are going undiagnosed, and it often takes up to 10 years to actually make a diagnosis, poking fun at those who are trying to better themselves serves no purpose even if they are technically incorrect.

I know that many like to share these types of articles though I really don't understand why.
A more fruitful discussion would be how to actually self diagnose, or at least how to minimize ones current symptoms, and when it would be best to see a doctor. Keep in mind that it may take years and lots of money to actually diagnose.

I am among the many who periodically make changes to stop problems. Back in the day I would eat a whole pot of macaroni and cheese and suffer hours of gas and diarrhea. I considered candida, celiac , IBS, and others. Short of it is I stopped that problem by not eating a whole pot of macaroni and cheese again. I have made other changes to minimize further, similar problems and the exact diagnosis remains unimportant as long as I am able to minimize the symptoms. These were of course undeniably real symptoms.

My wife however had periods of tachycardia that she had been shamed into keeping silent about. It took four years of irritating the doctors (pre-internet) before I found one with an actual answer. No more Scarlet O'Hara fanning her face saying "Oh my! a bit too much excitement, y'all know". A simple heart ablation procedure actually got rid of the problem. Temporarily. It seems to be coming back after being absent for only 25 years. Damn regeneration of nerve cells! My problem is that she still has some of the learned behavior from back when she didn't know what was wrong, only how other people treated her for having symptoms, and how that made her feel.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:51 pm

maybe the incidence of celiac is under reported - however, it's also become one of those fashionable diseases where self-diagnosis without confirmation by a medically qualified person makes the case of the real celiac sufferers all the harder, since they are now lumped with the fake celiacs

I remember one video where people who avoided gluten as a fashion statement were asked whether they could explain what gluten exactly was - the vast majority couldn't, apart a vague "something that's bad for you"

I think the main point of the link in the op was that when people felt better after going on a gluten free diet, that this was more likely because of changing their diet, rather than specifically the avoidance of gluten

by all means a better diagnosis would be welcome, but that won't stop the sick well from self-diagnosing diseases that just aren't there - that's not to downplay the plight of the ones who really suffer from celiac, but to highlight the fact that a large number of false celiacs muddy the waters

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:31 am
Original Member
Original Member

Don't think this is about making fun of people genuinely sick or suffering.

Instead, it's a comment about people jumping on bandwagons, clinging to the latest fad, and marketers/advertisers seizing on these trends and magnifying the problem.

One example of this phenomenon is the craze over gluten free diets. It's gotten out of hand and too fashionable. Some distributors even sell bottled water now labeled "gluten-free" to drive up sales. Seriously?

I, for one, appreciate studies and articles like the one in the OP and support their efforts to pop these proverbial bubbles.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: gluten-free diet and false celiacs  |  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Here's a fun article about Celiac disease. Yes it's trendy and completely made up by most people who claim to have it. I pretty much ignore being told about it as an EMT and instead look for other signs of poisoning or abdominal problems (e.g. cholecystitis) from other sources while trying to decide whether to recommend a ride to the ER.

http://www.science20.com/science_20/cel ... ople-93422