FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:15 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
[
Quote:
Our personality is a combination of genes and environment (family, friends, other people). Stimulations made by our environment are critical for the construction of our personality that includes ethics and morality; that's very well known. I'm surprised you don't think that as well.

Just because I did not mention it does not mean I do not agree or know what you put. We are indeed creatures formed by our environment and that would include all those we come into contact with.
Quote:
I'm not sure where are you going with that comment. When I said that we need a parent tu put us boundaries I meant that we, humans, need of a superior figure to make us behave well. And I don't know if you're metaphorically speaking when you're referring to the "selfish gene" or literally, like there's actually just one gene that controls our selfish behavior,.,,,,(I haven't read Richard Dawkins)

I agree that children need guidance but I also think a bit of defiance to be good as that helps us all spot things that need change to a better form. This is inbreed in us if the terrible twos are indicative of this healthy defiance. At birth though, babies are set at the default position of cooperation which is at it's root a selfish trait as we instinctively know that cooperation is better for survival than competition.

Science uses the term selfish gene and it likely means a combination of various DNA activity.

I guess that that makes the term as much metaphor as literal.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:22 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
Jung Freud and the selfish gene are three things I would not lay much foundation on. Why do you pick them?

I think that they have been scientifically proven to be real.

We know we have instincts, and those instincts would communicate with us by some means. Freud and Jung seemed to think our subconscious was where that communication stemmed from whereas DNA research seems to indicate that our genes give our subconscious what should be communicated.

In ancient days, most sages and prophets named that internal directional blueprint, if we can call it that, Father as opposed to God so they might have known what Freud and Jung did way before they did.

Jesus himself spoke more of doing the Fathers bidding than he did of doing God's. He, as these quotes show, saw his Father as internal.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Regards
DL

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
Jung Freud and the selfish gene are three things I would not lay much foundation on. Why do you pick them?

We know we have instincts, and those instincts would communicate with us by some means. Freud and Jung seemed to think our subconscious was where that communication stemmed from whereas DNA research seems to indicate that our genes give our subconscious what should be communicated.

In ancient days, most sages and prophets named that internal directional blueprint, if we can call it that, Father as opposed to God so they might have known what Freud and Jung did way before they did.

Jesus himself spoke more of doing the Fathers bidding than he did of doing God's. He, as these quotes show, saw his Father as internal.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Regards
DL

Most of Freud has been shown to not be accurate or in any way reliable, Jung placed starting points, but again has been changed and adapted ads new information has been provided.

There is not such thing as a selfish gene, and genetics does not do what you suggest.

Also quote-mining scripture is not evidence of science, and considered proselytizing. Stop it.

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:47 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:

Regards
DL

Most of Freud has been shown to not be accurate or in any way reliable, Jung placed starting points, but again has been changed and adapted ads new information has been provided.

There is not such thing as a selfish gene, and genetics does not do what you suggest.

Also quote-mining scripture is not evidence of science, and considered proselytizing. Stop it.

Those quotes do not proselytise any more than quoting Freud and Jung as they are all talking about the workings of the mind and basically our two hemisphere.

I am in the religion section and will quote whatever I like that I think pertinent.

Who dies and made you a mod?

Regards
DL

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
This is inbreed in us if the terrible twos are indicative of this healthy defiance. At birth though, babies are set at the default position of cooperation

Citation needed. Either support this with evidence or concede you've made it up. Ignoring this request will result in this thread being locked.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Science uses the term selfish gene and it likely means a combination of various DNA activity.

Correction: "Science" does not use that term. Richard Dawkins did as the title of a book written in 1976 describing how genes alter organisms so as to render themselves coils that are nearly immortal:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110615135 ... 738678.ece

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I am in the religion section and will quote whatever I like that I think pertinent.

I happen to agree with him. Lose the attitude.

You've been afforded enormous latitude here. Don't make me regret it or have to correct it all at once.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:20 pm

iNow wrote:
[
Quote:
quote="Gnostic Bishop"]This is inbreed in us if the terrible twos are indicative of this healthy defiance. At birth though, babies are set at the default position of cooperation

Citation needed. Either support this with evidence or concede you've made it up. Ignoring this request will result in this thread being locked.

Shove your threats where they belong.

But as requested in your childish way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

If you cannot follow the logic, let me know and I will walk you through it.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Correction: "Science" does not use that term. Richard Dawkins did as the title of a book written in 1976 describing how genes alter organisms so as to render themselves coils that are nearly immortal:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110615135 ... 738678.ece

Quote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

I happen to agree with him. Lose the attitude.

You've been afforded enormous latitude here. Don't make me regret it or have to correct it all at once.

I think the attitude shown is what need adjustment. Not mine.

Regards
DL

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Relax people, we are having a nice conversation....

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God doe  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Shove your threats where they belong.

But as requested in your childish way.

(Youtube link removed)

If you cannot follow the logic, let me know and I will walk you through it.
(snip)
I think the attitude shown is what need adjustment.

Not exactly the type of response I had in mind. Enjoy your involuntary holiday from the site.

Also, let it be known that Youtube is not acceptable as evidence of claims regarding human childhood development. It can be used to summarize a topic or supplement a discussion, but when asked for evidence it isn't sufficient.

M_Gabriela wrote:
Relax people, we are having a nice conversation....

Apologies, but not anymore. Thread locked.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan