FAQ
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is it too much fossil fuel use or so much less vegetation to take care of it that's the greenhouse CO2 gas issue? Haven't fires been burning on Earth throughout its history and when plants arrived did they not take care of a much higher concentration of CO2 gases than is present today? Not questioning climate change but if there is a certain amount of vegetation that could control today's emissions, and that total is unattainable because of human exploitation, then it seems to me that eliminating plants from the landscape is just as good a reason for the high CO2 levels as burning fossil fuel. Does that make any sense?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
... and when plants arrived did they not take care of a much higher concentration of CO2 gases than is present today?

they did indeed - but how many millions of years do you think that took ?

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
Zinjanthropos wrote:
... and when plants arrived did they not take care of a much higher concentration of CO2 gases than is present today?

they did indeed - but how many millions of years do you think that took ?

Millions, not overnight that's for sure. Starting with one plant, I'll say it takes time.

Would not CO2 level calculations have to take into account the loss of vegetation? Continents drift, deserts and ice caps form, land erodes and many other natural occurrences affect growing space. If growing space is available and mankind has destroyed it thus reducing the capacity of vegetation to remove CO2, that would include oceans as well, then how can that not affect CO2 levels?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Those factors are swamped by the fact that we have burned millions of years worth of plants (deposited as coal and oil) in about three hundred years...

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Those factors are swamped by the fact that we have burned millions of years worth of plants (deposited as coal and oil) in about three hundred years...

Gotcha. At least it's a factor, apparently not much of one, but a factor nonetheless.

Has there been any talk about building a series of industrial sized machines and placing them at various locations around the globe that take in air and remove the carbon? At current CO2 levels, is it even possible to bring the levels down and get rid of the carbon by using carbon removal machines, assuming consumption of fossil fuels continue at current pace?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 pm

There has been talk of such schemes but AFAIK there are no viable plans as yet.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: I Know Little About Climate Change Thread  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
There has been talk of such schemes but AFAIK there are no viable plans as yet.

I'm assuming no commercial enterprise wants to take it on unless they can turn a profit. So that leaves me and you, the taxpayer, to foot the bill. It'll be awhile.

You know, I wouldn't mind my taxes going to something that may save the species in the long run but there's an urgent need to make sure were living in peace and harmony with one another. We're doomed.