FAQ
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:33 pm

One beer
Post  Post subject: Filtering problem  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:55 am

Weird one this.

Mrs One beer was trying to filter some sloe gin which was cloudy. She tried muslin cloth, but that let everything through, so I suggested coffee filters.

This worked but became clogged in a matter of seconds - the filter paper became completely 'water tight' as if it were made of plastic.

My question is, why does the sloe gin clog the filter paper? Coffee doesn't clog it, at least not until half a litre or so has gone through.

Is it the sugars in the sloe gin causing the clogging?

OB

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Filtering problem  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:30 am

Filter papers etc work best if the solid you are trying to filter off is much larger than the pore sizes in the filter so the liquid can still reach the paper through the larger particles. It's probably that the sloe gin solids are very fine and may be similar in size to the pores in the filter and are either creating a fine layer of small particles on the filter that the liquid cannot get through or are bunging it up, one solution would be to buy a filter with smaller pore sizes, another possible solution is to give the funnel a "swirl" to stir up the sediment away from the filter... We often see this in chemistry classes when filtering fine precipitates with low grade filter papers. To solve that we normally use vacuum filtration to suck the liquid through, you probably haven't got a Buchner flask and vac pump in your kitchen but you can make your own: http://hackaday.com/2011/06/16/making-y ... struments/

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Filtering problem  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks, Demon.

I did try gathering the filter paper in at the top and then squeezing the filter paper to force the contents through, but that just bust the filter seams.

I reckon I might make a vacuum assisted filter, using the idea from your link, and also create a vacuum source from running water.

Thanks. How is life in Newcastle?

OB

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Filtering problem  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:46 pm

At the minute very wet! Just got home from work freezing cold and soaked to the skin... Lovely northern coastal weather!

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan