FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Roamer
Post  Post subject: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on life?  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Besides the evolution of life, are there other real-life examples of evolution through random mutation and natural selection?

I can't think of any examples. Can you give some?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on li  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:04 pm

no i can't either
in fact, i've always been of the opinion that one of the characteristics of life was descent with modification, i.e. evolution

on the other hand, maybe we should be careful in case either computer viruses or AI becomes self-replicating with modification - it might become some sort of life, but not as we know it

Roamer
Post  Post subject: Re: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on li  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:42 pm

I am looking for real-life examples that most people are familiar with (not computer code), so I can use that as an analogy as to how evolution of life works.

Any takers?

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on li  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Evolution is a charachteristic of life. It works on many levels. You could explain it like a trial and error method, being the final objective leaving live offsrping

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on li  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Television series. Either they survive, thrive, or die. Could be Simpsons, Breaking Bad, or Selfie.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on li  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:20 pm

only one of many survives the first season.. great example!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Is evolution demonstrated anywhere else besides of on li  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:14 pm

to me the best example of evolution in real time is Peter and Rosemary Grant's study of Darwin's finches

this is a good video to start with (although the intro is a bit boring)