FAQ
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Judith
Post  Post subject: Pandora's Star by P. Hamilton  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:16 am

He uses the term HYSRADAR as a device like radar, I assume from what happens in the book. I know what radar is, but what version of radar is hysradar?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pandora's Star by P. Hamilton  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:51 am

i tried looking it up without too much success - is it something that functions as a radar in a space-time environment that is different from ours, either at the quantum level or in hyperspace or some other SF contraption ?

Judith
Post  Post subject: Re: Pandora's Star by P. Hamilton  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:32 pm

marnixR wrote:
i tried looking it up without too much success - is it something that functions as a radar in a space-time environment that is different from ours, either at the quantum level or in hyperspace or some other SF contraption ?

I was thinking along that line also. I know that in one of his comments for one of his books, he admitted that when he needed a device--he made one up. As most authors do.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pandora's Star by P. Hamilton  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:52 pm

i've seen it described as using Arthur C Clarke's dictum that any advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
so as an SF writer you can indeed make things up as long they are not totally impossible with our current understanding of how physics works

since we don't know what it would take to make FTL travel possible, we don't really know what properties would have to be dealt with, but assuming certain first principles you can then predict how you would have to resolve the issues resulting from your new physics

in short, you need some sort of internal consistency and something that feels like it could at some point of the future become real physics

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pandora's Star by P. Hamilton  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Judith wrote:
He uses the term HYSRADAR as a device like radar, I assume from what happens in the book. I know what radar is, but what version of radar is hysradar?

Purely guessing here, but maybe: Hyperspace Radar?

A measurement tool like radar where signals are sent out and then the signal returned gets interpreted so we get a sense of what's "out there" and its topography, but for hyperspace instead of our usual everyday 3D space?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan