FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:41 am

Peter Dow
Post  Post subject: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm going to try for the "Mathematics" forum for this topic but no worries if the mods decide to move this to "Art and Culture".

I've posted this image which I've described as a
"Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation".

URL REMOVEDImage
URL REMOVED, on Flickr

which is a tessellation of this tile shape,
URL REMOVEDImage
URL REMOVED, on Flickr

Check my Flickr page for the preceding design iterations and inspiration.

I've named the shape
Trispokedovetile
which is a contraction of "tri-spoke dovetailing tile".
  • "tri-spoke" because the shape is similar to a 3-spoke motorcycle wheel with three bites taken out of it.
  • "dovetailing" because the tiles interlock like a dovetail joint

But it is quite possible this shape is already known to geometry and already has been named.

Do you know if this shape has already been named? If so please do reply to tell me what the name is.

Peter Dow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Trispokedovetiles Animation Webpage [LINK]

I've programmed a webpage using Javascript to display an animation which shows a range of different trispokedovetiles, each of which can be specified by a "CIRCLE" percentage, which is the ratio as a percent of two parameters -

1. A "HEXAGON" parameter length - always nominally "100%"
2. A "CIRCLE" parameter length - the animation varies this between 100% and 135%, though up to 150% is possible in theory.

So you can specify the "CIRCLE" percentage to specify a particular shape of trispokedovetile.

Here is a still image from the animation - showing the trispokedovetiles with "CIRCLE" = 125%.

by Peter Dow, on Flickr

I've tested the animation in Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers and it works fine for me.

But it is not working in Firefox for some as yet unknown reason.

Let me know by replying here if you have any other problems with the animation not displaying for you.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

All of your spammy links have (again) been deleted

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Peter Dow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:30 pm

A trispokedovetile in 3D

3 trispokedovetiles in 3D

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Peter, what is your point? (Other then discovering M. C. Esher imagery?)

Peter Dow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:42 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
Peter, what is your point? (Other then discovering M. C. Esher imagery?)

My first point is a mathematical science point - to specify and to demonstrate a class of geometric shapes apparently heretofore not specified mathematically and only known about by artists in the sense that they have approximated these shapes in artistic tessellations.

It would help my demonstration here if the mod would allow me to post at least one link
LINK REMOVED
to my trispokedovetiles webpage, rather than deleting all links regardless of relevance.

My second point is an engineering science point - this class of geometric shapes have possible engineering applications.

Possible application to tiled armour

One issue with hexagonal or square armour tiles is that such simple shapes don't interlock sideways, as do jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Whilst a little armour tile movement in the same direction as the bullet (normal to the armour plane) is useful in absorbing the kinetic energy of the bullet (and much better than the armour tile absorbing the same kinetic energy by shattering), on the other hand, sideways tile movement (tangential to the armour plane) leaves most unwelcome gaps in the armour in between separated tiles.

So armour tiles shaped like jigsaw puzzle shapes (or some hexagonal variation such as these trispokedovetiles) could perform well in this application.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Peter Dow wrote:
It would help my demonstration here if the mod would allow me to post at least one link LINK REMOVED to my trispokedovetiles webpage, rather than deleting all links regardless of relevance.

Demonstrate the relevance then, and I'll consider leaving the link.

At this point, and even after reading this post in response to someone asking about relevance, that relevance remains unclear.

Specifically: What do you wish to discuss? What questions do you wish to explore with this community?

Start there, and have your discussion here. You won't be allowed to drive traffic to your site using ours as a vehicle. Thank you for your understanding.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Peter Dow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Now to consider the important issue of interlocking trispokedovetiles against movement in the direction normal to the tiled plane, which for the application of tiled armour would be the normal to the armour surface, in the direction of a bullet's path.

BILAYER TRISPOKEDOVETILES

I propose that the unit armour tile be comprised of 2 joined trispokedovetiles with matching HEXAGON parameters but each with a different CIRCLE percentage.

For example, suppose we choose trispokedovetiles with CIRCLE = 100% and 121%.

Image Image

The reason for choosing C100 for the outer layer of the armour is because its 120 angle corners would be more robust.

The reason for choosing C121 for the inner layer of the armour is because CIRCLE = 121% offers the largest percentage where the neck attacking the outer part rings is at least twice the thickness of the ring, attempting to balance the robustness of the ring parts to the robustness of the neck versus tensile stresses.

Stacking and joining those together forms a bilayer trispokedovetile, "C100+C121".

Image Image

Drawing the 2 layers semi-transparently we can see how the bilayer trispokedovetiles would interlock in the normal to the plane.

2/3rds of the tiles can be slotted together, either the yellows and the blues or the yellows and the purples or the blues and the purples.

However the final 1/3rd of the tiles would not simply slot in and would have be inserted by joining the two halves of the bilayer trispokedovetile in situ.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

With all the text you posted, there is no demonstration of increased benefit to the use of your structuring. And it looks more rigid then current armour structures

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:28 pm

For what it is worth, I thought that Peter Dow was a political activist. There may be some obscure mathematical/political stuff going on with the OP. Peter Dow is a very interesting person.
http://peter-dow.blogspot.co.uk/

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 pm

definitely one and the same ?

Peter Dow
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:43 pm

For Computer-Aided Manufacturing of trispokedovetiles, I've published a Javascript web-page -
(Google -)
"Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles"
(and you may find my post on a cnc forum with a link to my page - sorry for the run around but as you probably have noted I am not allowed to post links here)
- which generates Computer Numerical Control (CNC) code which I've tested with CNC Simulator Pro but not on a real CNC cutter as yet.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Quote:
Peter Dow is a very interesting person.

If it is the same guy the page about him on rationalwiki is very funny (and a bit disturbing)... ;)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Geometry. Three-spoke dovetailing tile tessellation.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Peter Dow wrote:
For Computer-Aided Manufacturing of trispokedovetiles, I've published a Javascript web-page -
(Google -)
"Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles"
(and you may find my post on a cnc forum with a link to my page - sorry for the run around but as you probably have noted I am not allowed to post links here)
- which generates Computer Numerical Control (CNC) code which I've tested with CNC Simulator Pro but not on a real CNC cutter as yet.

Stop spamming.

You do not actually seek to discuss, you only seek traffic on your website.