FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:22 pm

when long-life light bulbs came on the market I was especially pleased to replace the spotlights in the kitchen which until then had to be replaced every other month - now they last for more than a year and then some

however, even long-life bulbs go in the end, so when I went to look for replacements, I noticed that this type of light bulb is no longer available for spotlights - all there is is LED and halogen

so I bought a set of each to see how they would perform in comparison with their predecessors

what I want to ask is : (1) why are they no longer available; and (2) does anyone know how long they will last ?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 pm

marnixR wrote:
when long-life light bulbs came on the market I was especially pleased to replace the spotlights in the kitchen which until then had to be replaced every other month - now they last for more than a year and then some

however, even long-life bulbs go in the end, so when I went to look for replacements, I noticed that this type of light bulb is no longer available for spotlights - all there is is LED and halogen

so I bought a set of each to see how they would perform in comparison with their predecessors

what I want to ask is : (1) why are they no longer available; and (2) does anyone know how long they will last ?

I don't know,but just as a practical bit of information some of them are more fragile than others and I have broken them by mishandling/forcing them (the spiral staircases ones).

I also wonder whether some of them are more "open to the elements" in that wandering insects can fall in and cause them to short (just a suspicion based on burn marks at the base of the coils )

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:45 pm

fragility shouldn't come into the picture - i was talking about their lifespan once they're in place
as for insects accessing light bulbs : how / where would they get in + wouldn't either the vacuum or the carrier gas (whichever of the two is being used) dissipate if their was somewhere where an insect could get in ?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:26 pm

marnixR wrote:
fragility shouldn't come into the picture - i was talking about their lifespan once they're in place
as for insects accessing light bulbs : how / where would they get in + wouldn't either the vacuum or the carrier gas (whichever of the two is being used) dissipate if their was somewhere where an insect could get in ?

That is true but I don't know about their comparative longevity (obviously I do look at the price tag).

With the non long life bulbs I based my opinion on name and provenance of the manufacturer and generally tried to buy from a reputable maker in the same way I have always felt that Fairy liquid was much better value than cheap alternatives. Cheap bulbs were nearly always a waste of time and money.

No ,the insect hypothesis seems less than likely but wasn't supposing it got in just perhaps that it died in a bad place and perhaps became a source of extra heat that cracked the glass (sounds even less plausible) .

I think there are more than one type of long life bulb but I don't know which is which or hw or why they are different

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:00 pm

bought mine in B&Q - not sure what brand though, there wasn't that much choice anyway
we'll see how it goes, maybe I'm fretting over nothing and they'll last just as long

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Low sales / cost to produce too high / lower cost alternatives turned out to be better performing?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:57 pm

iNow wrote:
Low sales / cost to produce too high / lower cost alternatives turned out to be better performing?

Is it me or you? I can't make out what you are asking.

Should "too" read "to" ?

Can you rephrase?

Are you asking whether it is more economic to buy cheaper ,poorer quality bulbs and just replace them more frequently?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:30 am
Original Member
Original Member

Brevity may be the soul of wit, but alas when I try it's merely the source of confusion. I should also have used the quote function. Mea culpa.

Marnix wondered why the bulbs he'd previously purchased were no longer available. I looked at it from a business perspective and offered three possibilities that seem feasible and plausible as explanations.

1) Sales were too low on the previous version and the company went out of business / chose to halt production

2) The cost to produce the previous version was too high and the company went out of business / chose to halt production

3) New technology came to market and were considered higher performing or higher value so the previous version simply lost the rat race / got out-competed and taken from the shelves

There are lots of other possibilities. Those were just 3 I could type quickly before heading to dinner. Cheers!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:38 am

my cynical self tends to agree with iNow's first remark

the long-life bulbs were too successful in their aim and sales slumped because no-one needed any

g o r t
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:22 am

marnixR wrote:
what I want to ask is : (1) why are they no longer available?

Here in the United States, Federal policy is to phase out all production of "non-exempt" incandescent light bulbs.
They can still be imported, for the time being.
I understand that small halogen bulbs will make their last stand here in 2020.

Don't know about European laws.
The rest of the market will adjust.

For a time there were commercial light socket inserts to reduce the voltage to standard bulbs and make them effectively "long life". Have not noticed them lately, and of course they lower the color temperature of the bulb.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:56 am

iNow wrote:
Brevity may be the soul of wit, but alas when I try it's merely the source of confusion. I should also have used the quote function. Mea culpa.

Marnix wondered why the bulbs he'd previously purchased were no longer available. I looked at it from a business perspective and offered three possibilities that seem feasible and plausible as explanations.

1) Sales were too low on the previous version and the company went out of business / chose to halt production

2) The cost to produce the previous version was too high and the company went out of business / chose to halt production

3) New technology came to market and were considered higher performing or higher value so the previous version simply lost the rat race / got out-competed and taken from the shelves

There are lots of other possibilities. Those were just 3 I could type quickly before heading to dinner. Cheers!

Dear Lyndon
no, the fault was mine

your's sincerely

Gerald (Pres) :oops: :oops: :oops: (no fault in the mine)

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:09 pm

g o r t wrote:
and of course they lower the color temperature of the bulb.

And the efficiency light/watt.....

The history is interesting, though, long life bulbs have always been easy to make--going all the way back to the 1930s and an excellent example where capitalism works against having the best long-lived products.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:44 pm

despite their appearance, halogen light bulbs are not the same as the old incandescent ones - those have gone off the market a few years back

i found some info comparing the lot, and it appears that the LEDs should be doing best of them all

LEDs also have the lowest wattage

(click to enlarge)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Does anyone know what is the difference between a standard bulb and a "daylight bulb"?

I have seen that they are supposes to flicker less and they seem to be quite expensive...

Do they carry a wider,more balanced range of frequencies perhaps?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:15 am
Original Member
Original Member

I know the intent is to better represent sunlight, something frequently appreciated by individuals applying makeup who struggle to do that well with poor lighting or fluorescent, but I'm not familiar with the technology that allows it.

g o r t
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:02 am

geordief wrote:
Do they carry a wider,more balanced range of frequencies perhaps?

Higher wattage with a filter coating.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:48 am

Daylight bulbs are generally brighter and have a higher colour temperature than 'standard' incandescent bulbs.

Standard incandescents have a colour temperature of about 3200 Kelvin, and that of our Sun is about 7200K.

(figures from memory)

Daylight bulbs give better colour rendering - useful for fabric designers and artists etc., and they are also used to combat SAD - seasonal affected disorder, which is when people can get depressed if they do not see enough sunlight.

3200K is actually quite yellow in colour and 7200K is distinctly blue. The "daylight" colour gels used on television lights are quite blue to look at, but the brain has an automatic white balance adjustment, so we rarely notice the difference - unless two different colour temperature light sources are seen together.

OB

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:00 pm

my impression was that long-life bulbs work on the same principle as fluorescent tube lighting, which is to ionise mercury vapour inside a glass tube, whereas an incandescent bulb heats up a filament to high temperatures
maybe that's why fell out of favour, because if you break a bulb like that you have the potential of spreading mercury compounds all over the place

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:49 pm

marnixR wrote:
my impression was that long-life bulbs work on the same principle as fluorescent tube lighting, which is to ionise mercury vapour inside a glass tube, whereas an incandescent bulb heats up a filament to high temperatures
maybe that's why fell out of favour, because if you break a bulb like that you have the potential of spreading mercury compounds all over the place

In the US it usually is just a thicker filament incandescent, perhaps made with a different material so they can run brighter for similar energy input:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60-W ... /204983941

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:18 pm

so I suppose they don't look anything like the middle bulb marked "energy saver (CFL)" ?

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sometimes efficiency is not such a good thing. 100% of what we call inefficiency does ultimately become heat. Then look to a part of the world were the greenest way to heat a home is with hydroelectricity or some other zero-carbon electricity: the "inefficiency" of every electric appliance is helping to heat the home just as "efficiently" as the coils in a baseboard heater. Furthermore consider that in northern countries our summers when we don't want heat we neither consume much artificial light because windows and skylights admit the northern sunlight past 10 pm.

Then if lifetime energy efficiency is moot, I just want appliances with the lowest environmental costs to manufacture and dispose of.

I blame the North American Free Trade Agreement working to please the State of California.

Anyway, an incandescent goes when the airtight seal fails (why the filament requires a glass bulb!).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 am

what bugged me most of all with the incandescent spotlights in our kitchen was that I had to replace them every other month

the long-life ones did exactly what it said on the tin, which is that last a lot longer -which is something that suits me fine

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:07 am
Original Member
Original Member

Anecdotally I've suspected correlation with bulb heat and also vibration. If true the worst situation would be above a stove and inset rigidly into a ceiling "pot-light" people walk over.

OTOH if air seeping into the bulb is the ultimate cause, then whatever weakens the seal is to blame. Thermal cycling? Because glass-glue-metal-gas can't possibly expand equally. Would we get significantly more hours if the bulb just stayed on?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Almost certainly not, as that would just keep it in a perpetual state of hot glowing temperature thus making the entire unit more brittle (or, to use your term, vibrational).

To me, using incandescent bulbs is just stupid. End program.

90% of the energy is lost to heat and only 10% goes to lighting, so it's horribly bad at its intended purpose.

It's a bit like wiping your ass with hundred dollar bills and still being covered in fecal matter when done. It's just stupid (unless you're putting one inside an Easy-Bake Oven for the kiddos).

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: long-life bulbs  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
that would just keep it in a perpetual state of hot glowing temperature thus making the entire unit more brittle

By that logic a domestic hot water tank should last longer if you often cool it by drawing off great volumes of hot water. Here I'm talking about the glazed steel tank, not the elements. We know the problem is that glass and steel expand differently from temperature change, so the glazing cracks and becomes less bonded to the steel, allowing microscopic seepage to rust a hole in it. Where people have two tanks in series, the "never cold" tank remains basically new... it far outlasts the same-model tank parked beside it.

I'm suggesting that thermal cycling of a lightbulb eventually breaks the seal due to differential expansion. The admission of air then kills the filament. We observe the broken filament, and look no further for the cause of failure.

Well there are dozens of simple ways to test my hypothesis, but I'm challenged by the inconsistent quality of brand-new bulbs. Still, I'm gonna try additionally sealing a bulb: I'll use nailpolish and Oxy-guard (electrician's grease) to build up the socket area. Sample of one!

To you, Texan, using incandescent bulbs is just stupid. End program.

Okay, in your part of the world, with your unique energy and heating conditions, that blanket statement maybe valid. And maybe debatable if your Canadian basement is sunk 5' into earth that remains ~7 degrees year-round. You'll understand my point of view if you simply consider the lightbulb 100% efficient electric heater. Could such a heater be the best solution in some applications? That would be a weak 60-watt heater where a 1000-watt baseboard unit is overkill... plus the cheap solution includes a visual indicator to show the heater is working!

Or I could counter that ...some people in some parts of the world... use flame. And that's just wrong. Coal flame is a terribly inefficient and destructive means of illuminating furnaces.