FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 pm

One beer
Post  Post subject: Interesting skimmed milk hypothesis  |  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:22 pm

I read in the paper today that some are suggesting that skimmed milk has contributed to childhood obesity.

I think the hypothesis is that children drinking skimmed milk do not feel as full as they would if they had drunk full fat milk.

Obesity has increased over a similar time period that skimmed milk has been available; is this just a coincidence or is there more to it?

Does anybody know more?

OB

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Interesting skimmed milk hypothesis  |  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 pm

i didn't get the impression that fat people drink gallons and gallons of milk

instead the usual culprits such as chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks and other junk food are probably sufficient to to the job of getting obesity underway

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Interesting skimmed milk hypothesis  |  Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Processed foods, junk foods, foods which engineered bliss points and empty calories (plus the examples cited by marnix) all strike me as far more likely than skim v. whole milk.

Does anyone know how much milk the average obese person drinks versus a person with a BMI considered more healthy?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Interesting skimmed milk hypothesis  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah, for sure; the actual mechanism that eating too many calories causes obesity is not under question here, but how does the consumption of too many calories arise? I wonder if there is something more subtle going on?

Skimmed milk is not very calorific itself, but perhaps the consumption of skimmed milk causes a bad habit to form in children.

How?, well perhaps drinking skimmed milk - which does not produce such a strong "I have just eaten something" signal to the brain as full fat milk - leads a person to believe they are still hungry after eating say a bowl of cereal, despite all the carbs and sugar that would contain. (As I understand it, the 'feeling full' signal comes from the gut detecting protein and fat, rather than carbs).

So maybe using full fat milk, which would produce a stronger 'full' signal, reduces the likelihood of forming a bad habit caused by the mistaken desire to eat too much and/or to continue snacking throughout the morning?

OB

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Interesting skimmed milk hypothesis  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 am
Original Member
Original Member

I think you're on to something. Coating the stomach with animal fat is the best way to satiate hunger... in rats at least.

We mammals should be easily satiated by milk of all things. The fat in whole milk. So a child/adult with access to whole milk would learn to satiate hunger by drinking milk. Or, never un-learn, really. If that's unavailable, you must learn to put something else into your stomach...

Personally, I prefer a smaller volume of cream over a tall glass of milk. Pacific Northwest, it's not like I crave hydration. People here prefer our beverages rich... why Starbuck's is from Seattle.